Linear-tracking Turntables!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
I've been listening to a VPI HW19 11 turn table with the Eminent Technology 11 air bearing tone arm for the last thirty-two years, but I am now shopping for something new because I am fed up with piddling with the ET arm. Plan A is to put a new pivoted arm on the old VPI. Plan B is a new table and tone arm, possibly the Clearaudio Performance DC Wood with the Tracer arm. If anyone has any suggestions regarding the best pivoted arm to put on the VPI or comments re: the Clearaudio table or alternatives to it I would appreciate reading them.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
32 years is a long time to put up with piddling!

Have you looked into the Bergmann Galder turntable + Odin tonearm combination?

Reactions: timztunz

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I'm quite happy with my TransFi Audio Terminator tone arm. No piddling required.:cool:

Reactions: Dentdog and carolus

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
+1 re no piddling here also re my Terminator, 8 years of ownership in.

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
I appreciate the responses. I will research and consider the table and arms mentioned.

redcars

Jan 7, 2015
Minneapolis area
Hi guys,

This is a review of my new Terminator tonearm.

I have a large record collection of mostly classical records and opera. A lot of vocal, choral and chamber music. And a lot of recordings of pipe organs.

I have a Clearaudio Master Reference turntable with ceramic magnetic bearing.

I previously had two Clearaudio TT2 arms. Before those I had the predecessor TQI. Twenty years of Clearaudio happiness. The TT2 concept is also used in the TT1 MI in the Clearaudio Statement turntable.

I have a Clearaudio DaVinci and a Goldfinger Statement (GFS) cartridge.

An air bearing arm has been on my list for years, but I never found one that worked smoothly with my Clearaudio Outer Limit ring weight or with multiple arms.

And then I realized that I could mount the Terminator (and perhaps other air-bearing arms) to my turntable in a way that solved all of my previous issues.

I think that you will find that this is a very different installation:

It allows for the arm to be pivoted away from the platter so that multiple tonearms and record ring weights may be used.

It has a different VTA readout that attaches to the arm board, rather than the tonearm.

The Terminator VTA is adjustable during play which greatly simplifies this relative to the Clearaudio.

The arm board is supported by a single ball bearing in the top of an (unused) Clearaudio turntable spindle.

It is locked in place by a one half turn plunger that locates on a rubber gasket so that no vibration is transmitted.

The phono cable was robbed from my second Clearaudio TT2.

37.jpg

34.jpg

See other pictures here: https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/9362

I bought the Terminator to play other cartridges than Clearaudio. I started with the DaVinci because my intention is to replace the DaVinci with another cartridge, perhaps a Miyajima mono cartridge.

The DaVinci sounded so good in the Terminator that I swapped in the GFS. WOW!

The largest improvements have been the sense of soundstage and space around voices and instruments and the quiet background. I thought the TT2 was very good, but the Terminator blows it away.

My room was built for great sound and it has not disappointed. But the music never really filled the room. The horns are position sensitive and have a relatively small sweet spot. Now the room is alive and sounds good everywhere.

In comparison, it is 4D vs 3D.

Same turntable, same cartridge (GFS), same arm cable. A very impressive achievement, IMHO.

The “flow” of the music is more real, more lifelike; the musicians are in the room with you.

Bass is better and more lifelike. Everything is more clear and more precisely located in space. Choral music is uncanny. Are you getting the idea that I am thrilled?

I need to give credit to the rest of my system and the room, but it was the Terminator that turned the corner and brought out the best.

I am ordering a second Terminator arm. Both arms will mount on my turntable and rotate away from the platter to change records.

Best,
Don

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Congratulations on your success. I installed a Terminator tonearm a few years ago for similar reasons, although I don’t have much to compare. I replaced my WTT Reference turntable and arm with a DIY Lenco in massive plinth including the Terminator arm for stereo and a Pioneer PL70 arm for a Miyajima Zero mono cartridge.

I continue to be very impressed with the Terminator, but I do often wonder how it compares to alternatives. I appreciate your comparison.

I’m running a SoundSmith Hyperion cartridge and it sounds amazing. So much so that I just bought a second used one to have as a back up.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Don, hi. It's so good to hear such fantastic positive feedback on a piece of gear I've grown to love and respect. For you to say it doesnt just match, but exceeds, the CA arm, is a great testament to Vic's original design and Andrey's evolution of it.
I have some idea of a second TT that I'd love to own, a vintage direct drive Luxman PD-444, likely fitted with a Schick 12".
But I think I'd run my current TT in parallel with it, so insistent am I that I wouldn't dispense w the Terminator.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
ACHiPo, I also run a Soundsmith on the Terminator, viz. Straingauge. It's a match made in Heaven. I wouldn't worry too much about tonearm compares, Terminator does so much that's right, you can kick back, relax and listen, confident you're not missing out on anything significant.

Reactions: ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
ACHiPo, I also run a Soundsmith on the Terminator, viz. Straingauge. It's a match made in Heaven. I wouldn't worry too much about tonearm compares, Terminator does so much that's right, you can kick back, relax and listen, confident you're not missing out on anything significant.
I would love to hear Peter's strain gauge, but take it on faith that the Hyperion is on par with it.

I'm toying with getting a Technics SP10R either fitted into the Lenco plinth, or building a new plinth for it. I only have room for one 'table, so bringing in the Technics means getting rid of the Lenco, which is difficult as it sounds pretty darned good.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, Peter loves both of his carts, I believe he claims the Straingauge has the edge on neutrality, Hyperion the edge on performance across genres. You can't go wrong with either.

Reactions: ACHiPo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing