... and in real Life

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Why did you get rid of it?

mojoetoo

Jul 25, 2014
alabama
I have the LL1 Sig Ref 4 piece pre combo en route to replace my LL2.1 which exists alongside an LP2 and feeds M1.2's which in turn feed Marten Birds. Had a little fun changing out stock tubes for Telefunkens, WE 417a, RCA's, and all. Though I really haven't heard too many other systems due to being in a small market and not attending any shows I just read and buy and cross fingers. In the end I really like the sound I'm getting from the Lamm's as it seems so real and natural and lively whether rock, jazz, vocals, acoustics, horns, or orchestral. So I 'm doubling down in an effort to move up the chain and picked up an LL1 Sig Ref. Any advice re: retubing, cabling, powering, etc? Anyone drive 4 monos with this pre as I was considering picking up another pair of M1.2's to drive another pair of Marten Birds I have sitting idle at the moment.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I have the LL1 Sig Ref 4 piece pre combo en route to replace my LL2.1 which exists alongside an LP2 and feeds M1.2's which in turn feed Marten Birds. Had a little fun changing out stock tubes for Telefunkens, WE 417a, RCA's, and all. Though I really haven't heard too many other systems due to being in a small market and not attending any shows I just read and buy and cross fingers. In the end I really like the sound I'm getting from the Lamm's as it seems so real and natural and lively whether rock, jazz, vocals, acoustics, horns, or orchestral. So I 'm doubling down in an effort to move up the chain and picked up an LL1 Sig Ref. Any advice re: retubing, cabling, powering, etc? Anyone drive 4 monos with this pre as I was considering picking up another pair of M1.2's to drive another pair of Marten Birds I have sitting idle at the moment.

Congrats, the LL1 is a huge step up from your LL2.1 you'll love it; but then I'm biased :D!

There's no tube rolling with the LL1. Use the stock cords or something similar using audiophile PCs with Lamms is a mistake IMO and advise all my clients against it since you end up altering the balance and qualities that endeared you to buy your electronics in the first place.

I drive 2 channels per side, i.e. 4 monos, there are 6 outputs per side on the LL1.

Enjoy!

david

mojoetoo

Jul 25, 2014
alabama
Great to hear - plug and play - no worries - deep thanks for the all the insights - LL1 being thinly traded there are probably very few who can speak w/ experience

mojoetoo

Jul 25, 2014
alabama
Got the LL1 in the chain and played KOB and immediately noticed in comparing to the unplugged LL2.1 an even deeper and broader soundstage w/ each performer given plenty of space and tones remained natural and real-sounding and well-defined from initiation to final decay. Punching dynamics w/ screachless natural sounding hornblasts. I was very happy when putting the LL2.1 in place of my Ayon pre and really wondered if I was gonna be able to discern a significant difference when putting the LL1 in for the LL2.1 and there is no question - a quantum leap!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Got the LL1 in the chain and played KOB and immediately noticed in comparing to the unplugged LL2.1 an even deeper and broader soundstage w/ each performer given plenty of space and tones remained natural and real-sounding and well-defined from initiation to final decay. Punching dynamics w/ screachless natural sounding hornblasts. I was very happy when putting the LL2.1 in place of my Ayon pre and really wondered if I was gonna be able to discern a significant difference when putting the LL1 in for the LL2.1 and there is no question - a quantum leap!

It really is far from a subtle difference. Glad you're enjoying it

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Having spent a couple of moths now with the LL1.1 , and the2 pairs of M2.2 , it is obvious to me that the LL1.1 is the brains behind the brawns..... simply an exquisite piece of audiophile marvel.

4music

Apr 15, 2013
Having spent a couple of moths now with the LL1.1 , and the2 pairs of M2.2 , it is obvious to me that the LL1.1 is the brains behind the brawns..... simply an exquisite piece of audiophile marvel.

Hi Ozy,
Obviously your system has changed dramatically over the past two years but how do you rate the Lamm LL1.1 preamp compared to the Burmester 077 you had back in 2014?
Tim

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Hi TIm, yes quite a few changes in the last 24 months.... the 077 is a very good preamp ,but lacks the lushness ,resolution and drive that the LL1.1 exhibits. The lamm LL1.1 is quieter and knowing what I know now of both' s attributes, the lamm is simply more musical and manages to get to the rear of the recording ,extracting the minute details.
For $20k less then the 077, it's also a bargain , imho.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Did you use the Lamm's with the TAD's? I have listened to the TAD's, never listened to the Lamm's, but from what I read about them I would never consider TAD and Lamm's!

4music

Apr 15, 2013
Hi TIm, yes quite a few changes in the last 24 months.... the 077 is a very good preamp ,but lacks the lushness ,resolution and drive that the LL1.1 exhibits. The lamm LL1.1 is quieter and knowing what I know now of both' s attributes, the lamm is simply more musical and manages to get to the rear of the recording ,extracting the minute details.
For $20k less then the 077, it's also a bargain , imho.

Ozy,many thanks for the above input. Very useful.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Did you use the Lamm's with the TAD's? I have listened to the TAD's, never listened to the Lamm's, but from what I read about them I would never consider TAD and Lamm's!

Yes, my current set up has 4lamm m2.2s and the LL1.1 preamp....with the TADs.... excellent synergy.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Well , after over a year with my LAMMs, the LL1.1and 4x M2.2s, I wonder how any tube rolling on either would improve what I consider, humbly, a genuinely beguiling sound- any thoughts and sources of reliable tubes?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing