Longer Balanced XLR or speaker cable?

Sam Spade

Jan 28, 2020
Hi all, I have a Burson Conductor 3x and will soon be upgrading my Rotel RB1080 200 wpc power amp to some monoblocks. This is all balanced XLR.

So the question is, sticking with balanced XLR, should I have the monoblocks closer to the speakers with shorter speaker cables and longer balanced XLRs to the monoblocks or Shorter XLR's and longer speaker cables.

My room is pretty flexible so this is a question of sound quality and nothing else

regards
Sam

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Shorter speaker cables would be my choice to reduce amplifier/speaker/cable interaction. Long interconnects, particularly balanced (XLR), should be essentially transparent where long speaker cables change the driving impedance seen by and thus the frequency response (among other things) of the speakers.

IMO - Don

Reactions: DevAAudio

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Without a doubt, shorter speaker cables are the better choice. This is done routinely with mono block amplifiers so that they can sit close to the speakers. IMG-1201.jpg

Reactions: whistleraudio

david1111

Jan 10, 2020
Yeah, I'd do long balanced cables and short speaker cables. If it was long ICs, instead of XLRs, I'd have to re-think it. But I'd probably still keep the speaker cables shorter.

Dave

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Agree with the others above.. Short and fat speaker cables.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm running 9m balanced XLR with 6' speaker. Agree with everyone else

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Running 2.5m SC & 7m XLR IC .

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
To add to the above, I used to have active electrostatics connected with a 3.5m cable, single-ended. Excellent sound!

Reactions: Al M.

whistleraudio

Jan 6, 2015
This should be a no brainer, Sam, since we all agree.;)

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I use 3M Balanced Sigma V2 interconnects and 3 foot speaker cable.

ozzy

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
XLR's are designed for long runs. I never have anything between my speakers but my amp on the amp stand, this opens up the sound stage and imaging is much more believable than having a TV or a rack between the speakers.

Reactions: microstrip

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing