Looking for a different preamp for Gryphon Mephisto

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Interesting video. Somehow I have never seen this YouTube channel. I realize that we audiophiles are a bit off and hanging out on the lunatic fringe but this guy takes crazy to a whole new level. :) I mean who brings in Magico M3's, Mangepan 20.7's, WIlson Alexia2's and Focal Stella Utopia evos in the span of 3 weeks?? All while comparing pandora and boulder preamps and switching cables etc. -- I guess Jay does.
And Magico is already gone! Alexx is probably on it’s way:) The choice of music he uses is rather strange. Otherwise a very fun channel.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I noticed his music and applaud his playing different music. Bach concertos aren't to everyone's taste I like a broad range of music. In fact just the other day I was playing some Van Halen and Metallica. It is good that he plays what he likes.

Maybe he is working his way up the speaker ladder. If he is going to do Wilson he should just get a pair of XVX and call it a day.

Reactions: bazelio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Would really enjoy seeing what he thinks of the XVX in his system. I have to say, I was impressed by the videos with the Focal Stella EM.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
As former owner of a Mephisto and some other Gryphon Amps and also as former owner of Pandora Sonata Sonata Allegro and Electra...
I can say that Gryphon is first class Class A Amp builder they have a home sound its always musical its always powerful any model its not the last word in resolution but if the music touch you who cares i think Mephisto is the best that Gryphon has ever made.

But when we talk about preamps this is another subject another part of the art and i don't thing that gryphon is in premier league they don't take enough attention on volume potmeter to start whit.... Like Dan D'Agostino is also a very good power amp builder but dont get those level by his preamps.

I also owned the Boulder 2010 at gives you a wowww feeling when you hear it first time but later i realized it doesn't have not enough colors and harmonious tonality for my taste.
If some gear is too much wowww from first moment be aware to wait if your opinion is the same some time later.Its always better if the wowwww grows by time:)

The preamp builders that has understand building a preamp (that i owned or experienced) in my opinion they are building onvery different ways preamps but all very good some even more.... It all depends on poweramp and system matching synergy and your budget.

Robert Koda
Zanden
Kondo (the M7 whit phono a old one is still a very good preamp)
First Sound (the middle level preamps are his best)
MBL 6010
Audio Tekne
Pass Labs XS
Audio Note UK

I didn't auditioned Shindo or Ch Precision to comment on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very interesting Amadeus. Always enjoy reading your posts, particularly as you have tremendous experience, plus much of the phenomenal equipment you discuss you actually own and have IN your system which is a very unique thing.

You are not the first experienced owner of Gryphon and audiophile who has made these comments before. Personally, I have never heard the Pandora. I suppose one could say that after discussing preamps and amps with many, many seasoned audiophiles and particularly Gryphon owners, I narrowed my focus and time (which for a number of reasons did not end up including Pandora) and was very grateful for your advice and others who spoke very highly of Robert Koda K15EX which has been so far an absolute joy.

Reactions: amadeus

V-Squared

Jun 9, 2017
As former owner of a Mephisto and some other Gryphon Amps and also as former owner of Pandora Sonata Sonata Allegro and Electra...
I can say that Gryphon is first class Class A Amp builder they have a home sound its always musical its always powerful any model its not the last word in resolution but if the music touch you who cares i think Mephisto is the best that Gryphon has ever made.

But when we talk about preamps this is another subject another part of the art and i don't thing that gryphon is in premier league they don't take enough attention on volume potmeter to start whit.... Like Dan D'Agostino is also a very good power amp builder but dont get those level by his preamps.

I also owned the Boulder 2010 at gives you a wowww feeling when you hear it first time but later i realized it doesn't have not enough colors and harmonious tonality for my taste.
If some gear is too much wowww from first moment be aware to wait if your opinion is the same some time later.Its always better if the wowwww grows by time:)

The preamp builders that has understand building a preamp (that i owned or experienced) in my opinion they are building onvery different ways preamps but all very good some even more.... It all depends on poweramp and system matching synergy and your budget.

Robert Koda
Zanden
Kondo (the M7 whit phono a old one is still a very good preamp)
First Sound (the middle level preamps are his best)
MBL 6010
Audio Tekne
Pass Labs XS
Audio Note UK

I dient auditioned Shindo or Ch Precision to comment on it.
Hi Amadeus,

By chance, did you ever compare the Mephisto Solos to the Boulder 2150’s?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Hi Amadeus,

By chance, did you ever compare the Mephisto Solos to the Boulder 2150’s?
Not in my system i heard the Boulder 2050 in others system some time very very powerful and very high res but i heard them to short to say much more....

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
And Magico is already gone! Alexx is probably on it’s way:) The choice of music he uses is rather strange. Otherwise a very fun channel.
You have to take everything with a grain of salt, he never keeps equipment long enough to really get it integrated with the room and other gear. Speakers are never spiked and same room treatment for conventional and dipoles. All that equipment/speakers taking up room in the middle of the soundstage, has its negative effect too. But the Audiogon thread is very entertaining, and the people make you appreciate this WBF forum so much ! o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: TDX and abeidrov

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing