Looking for a different preamp for Gryphon Mephisto

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You did a/b/c test. I wonder how anyone could evaluate or put a grading of a preamp working with a particular amp especially amp of different brand without trying different alternatives.

Yes we did. We had AR Ref 10, Ypsilon, and Dartzeel pre, and constellation, Dartzeel, and Berning power. The Ypsilon was agnostic to the amp used, but Dartzeel sounded great with the Dartzeel power, on par with Ypsilon, but fell quite short of both Ypsilon and AR With the constellation. We also tried Ypsilon both passive and active mode. There was a lack of drive with the Dartzeel constellation combo that wasn't with the AR/ypsilon constellation

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
In the Dart mono thread I did a quick comparison of 3 preamps I recently demoed in my system with their respective power amps and did a bit of mix and match as well : CH L1+X1, Soulution 725,Dart mk2 ( mk1 upgrade)
All excellent preamps , with resolution and transparency, all at a high price tag...
CH is the safest bet : fast,clean, neutral tone, incredible soundstage precision and very flexible thanks to customisable settings.
Soulution will be more for people looking for incredible drive and dynamics . Dark tone.
Dart is the « artist » of the group.Exceptional clarity , extended low and high frequency .At the same time, Sweeter and smoother than the other two but not due to a slower pace or an extra layer of density. Can’t describe it properly... However more « sensitive » to your downstream and upstream gears. Sensational match with my headphones tube amp and Dart amps of course, less « magical » with the CH ( or Soulution or Luxman) amps. So needs to be tested in the system.

Reactions: asiufy and bonzo75

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
In the Dart mono thread I did a quick comparison of 3 preamps I recently demoed in my system with their respective power amps and did a bit of mix and match as well : CH L1+X1, Soulution 725,Dart mk2 ( mk1 upgrade)
All excellent preamps , with resolution and transparency, all at a high price tag...
CH is the safest bet : fast,clean, neutral tone, incredible soundstage precision and very flexible thanks to customisable settings.
Soulution will be more for people looking for incredible drive and dynamics . Dark tone.
Dart is the « artist » of the group.Exceptional clarity , extended low and high frequency .At the same time, Sweeter and smoother than the other two but not due to a slower pace or an extra layer of density. Can’t describe it properly... However more « sensitive » to your downstream and upstream gears. Sensational match with my headphones tube amp and Dart amps of course, less « magical » with the CH ( or Soulution or Luxman) amps. So needs to be tested in the system.
this mirrors my impressions with the Dart preamp. the best way for me to describe it is "organic". actually, the most organic sound I have ever heard, period. I can't speak to flexibility, but I trust that if I were to have that kind of cash I would definitely test it first. I do know some people who swear by the Dart pre and Gryphon amp combo, so my guess is not completely unfounded. However, it is way out of my league, so I have to get back to reality. ;)

Vienna

VIP/Donor
This is interesting. Comparison between Gryphon Pandora and Boulder 2110 to drive Gryphon Mephisto

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for posting! Interesting video...saw on Audiogon quite a lot of discussion this past several weeks incl some videos. Is this the same? I think the Audiogon individual's moniker is "whitecamaross" who owns a Gryphon Mephisto and has been discussing Boulder 2110 vs Pandora.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
that’s right

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I will have next week the Boulder 2110 to test it with my Gryphon Mephisto and compare it with Pandora.

If i will not like it will go for CH L10

Reactions: abeidrov

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will have next week the Boulder 2110 to test it with my Gryphon Mephisto and compare it with Pandora.

Fantastic...look forward to hearing how your comparison goes! I have heard very promising things about the L10 from owners of the L1/dual X power supplies who are expecting to upgrade to L10.

BTW, I am going to PM you a technical questions about your Mephisto and Torus AVR16.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
In case of interest, Townshend Allegri Reference passive preamp has had a lot of extremely positive press in U.K. Including Martin Colloms (HiFi Critic) Reviews are on Townshend Audio's website.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

Also very interested in your findings. I still plan to compare Pandora to CH L1/X1 and MSB Ref. Hopefully, it will happen this year:) May I ask, what is the reason for auditioning other preamps? Is it just audiophile itch or there is something that bothers you with Pandora?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Also very interested in your findings. I still plan to compare Pandora to CH L1/X1 and MSB Ref. Hopefully, it will happen this year:) May I ask, what is the reason for auditioning other preamps? Is it just audiophile itch or there is something that bothers you with Pandora?
During my auditionings for chosing my next pre amp, I had the chance to have two channel (double) CH L1 with double power supplies for my Mephisto last week and the sound was superb.

Based on this experience, if I will not like the Boulder I will go for L10

Reactions: abeidrov

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
During my auditionings for chosing my next pre amp, I had the chance to have two channel (double) CH L1 with double power supplies for my Mephisto last week and the sound was superb.

Based on this experience, if I will not like the Boulder I will go for L10
Could you briefly describe the difference between CH and Pandora? Thanks!

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I will put it in simple words : it took me several minutes to recover from the shock.
The transparency, dynamics and clarity reached levels that i hadnt imagined before.
This pre amp drove perfectly the Mephisto

I will only test Boulder because my dealer is insisting, otherwise I would have paid the deposit for the CH L10 already

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will put it in simple words : it took me several minutes to recover from the shock.
The transparency, dynamics and clarity reached levels that i hadnt imagined before.
This pre amp drove perfectly the Mephisto

I will only test Boulder because my dealer is insisting, otherwise I would have paid the deposit for the CH L10 already
Fantastic feedback! I have to say that many owners of Pandora/Mephisto are (and should be) extremely happy. At the same time, there are just slightly more owners of Mephistos I happen to know of who use another preamp with it. From memory, ARC Ref Anniversary, Audionet Stern, Robert Koda K15EX and in your case CHL10 (possibly Boulder) come to mind.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
unfortunately i can’t have one for auditioning Denis

Cala

May 2, 2018
Paris
anamightysound.com

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
This is interesting. Comparison between Gryphon Pandora and Boulder 2110 to drive Gryphon Mephisto

Interesting video. Somehow I have never seen this YouTube channel. I realize that we audiophiles are a bit off and hanging out on the lunatic fringe but this guy takes crazy to a whole new level. :) I mean who brings in Magico M3's, Mangepan 20.7's, WIlson Alexia2's and Focal Stella Utopia evos in the span of 3 weeks?? All while comparing pandora and boulder preamps and switching cables etc. -- I guess Jay does.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1 and abeidrov

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
As a Mephisto owner maybe I can offer an option. Regarding the Pandora, what Jay said about large soundstage is right on. I heard this when comparing the colloseum vs the Mephisto as well. To my ears the Colloseum "inflates" the images and makes the soundstage sound big. Similar thing for the Pandora. I have an AudioNet Stern as the preamp in my system and I think it sounds great paired with the Mephisto. I have not compared with the Boulder or CH. What Jay says about the "new" Boulder stuff is interesting as I never liked the "old" Boulder sound -- too dry. So if I had an itch to replace the Stern I would not have even considered Boulder before watching the video.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing