Looking for a different preamp for Gryphon Mephisto

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You did a/b/c test. I wonder how anyone could evaluate or put a grading of a preamp working with a particular amp especially amp of different brand without trying different alternatives.
Yes we did. We had AR Ref 10, Ypsilon, and Dartzeel pre, and constellation, Dartzeel, and Berning power. The Ypsilon was agnostic to the amp used, but Dartzeel sounded great with the Dartzeel power, on par with Ypsilon, but fell quite short of both Ypsilon and AR With the constellation. We also tried Ypsilon both passive and active mode. There was a lack of drive with the Dartzeel constellation combo that wasn't with the AR/ypsilon constellation

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
In the Dart mono thread I did a quick comparison of 3 preamps I recently demoed in my system with their respective power amps and did a bit of mix and match as well : CH L1+X1, Soulution 725,Dart mk2 ( mk1 upgrade)
All excellent preamps , with resolution and transparency, all at a high price tag...
CH is the safest bet : fast,clean, neutral tone, incredible soundstage precision and very flexible thanks to customisable settings.
Soulution will be more for people looking for incredible drive and dynamics . Dark tone.
Dart is the « artist » of the group.Exceptional clarity , extended low and high frequency .At the same time, Sweeter and smoother than the other two but not due to a slower pace or an extra layer of density. Can’t describe it properly... However more « sensitive » to your downstream and upstream gears. Sensational match with my headphones tube amp and Dart amps of course, less « magical » with the CH ( or Soulution or Luxman) amps. So needs to be tested in the system.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
In the Dart mono thread I did a quick comparison of 3 preamps I recently demoed in my system with their respective power amps and did a bit of mix and match as well : CH L1+X1, Soulution 725,Dart mk2 ( mk1 upgrade)
All excellent preamps , with resolution and transparency, all at a high price tag...
CH is the safest bet : fast,clean, neutral tone, incredible soundstage precision and very flexible thanks to customisable settings.
Soulution will be more for people looking for incredible drive and dynamics . Dark tone.
Dart is the « artist » of the group.Exceptional clarity , extended low and high frequency .At the same time, Sweeter and smoother than the other two but not due to a slower pace or an extra layer of density. Can’t describe it properly... However more « sensitive » to your downstream and upstream gears. Sensational match with my headphones tube amp and Dart amps of course, less « magical » with the CH ( or Soulution or Luxman) amps. So needs to be tested in the system.
this mirrors my impressions with the Dart preamp. the best way for me to describe it is "organic". actually, the most organic sound I have ever heard, period. I can't speak to flexibility, but I trust that if I were to have that kind of cash I would definitely test it first. I do know some people who swear by the Dart pre and Gryphon amp combo, so my guess is not completely unfounded. However, it is way out of my league, so I have to get back to reality. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing