Looking for a Dolby Atmos Soundbar with 7.1 / 9.1 Speaker System. Budget around 500 euro.

TestLink

Nov 20, 2022
I have a 50" TV which is in a small living room. I had an Onkyo AV Receiver + 5.1 Speaker system (HT-S4505) earlier. But very difficult to manage as all the speakers were wired and bit difficult to manage. Also the sound quality was not that good (boomy bass and bad dialogue clarity).

So I am thinking about buying a good Dolby Atmos Sound Bar with 7.1 / 9.1 channels. I am an music and movie lover.

Req#1 My budget is around 500 euro. I would like crisp clear dialoges with deep bass.

Req#2 I would need the system to produce all the channels with out using rear speakers or using wireless rear speakers. Prefer a sound bar system with just the soundbar + 1 subwoofer, capable of producing multichannel sound effects.

Req#3 I have a couple of devices like Android TV Box, BluRay Player, etc which i would need to connect these systems with the soundbar. So there should be atleast 2 or 3 HDMI IN ports.

Can you please help me to select a system I should go for. Thanks...

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi, ”good quality” is a relative term and a sound bar will always be a compromised solution since you are asking speakers from one location sound like speakers that are surrounding you. Despite what manufactures may claim, you’re never going to get 7.1, let alone 9.1 from any sound bar. It’s simply impossible. Since you’re posting in What’s Best Forum, you’re not going to find much support here for something like this.
My advice would be to try to increase the budget and buy something used, where you always get more value for your dollar.
I think the best sound bar made today is by Bang.& Olufsen, but they are a lot more expensive than 500EUR.
If you really don’t want to, or cannot, spend more than this, I would honestly do nothing. Wait until you can spend $2000-$3000 - you’ll get a much better result that you will be happy with for a long time.

Reactions: TestLink

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Many Thanks for the advice...
My pleasure. Sorry it’s not as easy as it seems!
You may want to look at stereo speakers first. Having 2 good quality speakers is better than 5+ mediocre speakers. You don’t need a center channel in most cases - you will hear voices from the center with 2 speakers — it’s how we hear ‘holographic’ sound from just 2 speakers.

jwhite613

Feb 3, 2012
New Mexico
I had an early B&W soundbar it had no rear speakers and you could tell. Bought the Samsung with wireless sub and back speakers. Much happier with this. No where as nice as a surround system but had to choose between a 2 channel system and multi channel system for the tv. 2 channel won out.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I would keep the Onkyo receiver and use it for 2 channel duty.
Check out Steve Gutenberg (The Audiophiliac on YouTube) for his Best Of lists. I think he has best speakers for $1000.
You’ll get MUCH better sound if you spend $500/speaker x 2 vs a $500 soundbar that has ~5 speakers, an amp, and whatever else they throw in there! Especially if you then find the speakers used. $1000 retail should be able to be picked up for ~$500 pre-owned.
After that, you can add a subwoofer and let the Onkyo send <120Hz to the sub + the LFE channel.
This should actually sound really good — much better than most sound bars, even for a lot more money.

Reactions: jwhite613

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I had just a sonos soundbar. Its not better than my TV. Actually worse. I gave it to my nephew this Christmas. Now if I wanted to invest in 4 satellite speakers and a subwoofer, then the soundbar would have done what its suppose to do, be a center channel to reproduce voices.

I had a Bose TV system that was 5 small cubes and a subwoofer. That was by far the best budget TV surround I ever had. I gave that away too thinking I could do better. Mistake.

Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing