Looking for advice on phonostages

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I am narrowing down choices Gold Note PH10, PS Audio Stellar. is there much use for the custom curves in the GN10? Does one unit sound better than the other? My set up is VPI Classic 2 with Dyna 20X2L cart into a Modwright LS100 pre.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I Haven't heard the PS Audio phono stage, but from my brief listening sessions with Gold Note, they are on the warm/forgiving side and are well built. I got to hear the Gold Note Mediteranneo deck with the PH10 & thought they had good synergy. Paired with Gold Note monitors, the sound was smooth and musical sounding. Not the last word in resolution in high end terms, but very listenable and enjoyable. It is a combo I could happily live with on a budget.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I Haven't heard the PS Audio phono stage, but from my brief listening sessions with Gold Note, they are on the warm/forgiving side and are well built. I got to hear the Gold Note Mediteranneo deck with the PH10 & thought they had good synergy. Paired with Gold Note monitors, the sound was smooth and musical sounding. Not the last word in resolution in high end terms, but very listenable and enjoyable. It is a combo I could happily live with on a budget.

Completely agree.

shaned

Nov 7, 2019
I used to have the Allnic H7000 paired with my AMG V12 Viella which did sound fantastic but I have also heard good things about the cheaper Allnic phono stages which I am sure would compare well with the Gold Note or PS Audio although I haven't heard them myself.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I used to have the Allnic H7000 paired with my AMG V12 Viella which did sound fantastic but I have also heard good things about the cheaper Allnic phono stages which I am sure would compare well with the Gold Note or PS Audio although I haven't heard them myself.

The Allnic sounds great when the rectifier is swapped

Reactions: gian60

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
is there much use for the custom curves in the GN10?

It was common for preamps made before 1960 to require their user match a playback curve with a proprietary recording spec used by a given record label. Not until the arrival of stereo did recording labels begin widespread adoption of the standardized equalization metrics laid down by the RIAA.

Use for the Goldnote's Decca and Columbia EQ curves is mostly limited to recordings from those labels in the pre-stereo era that do not use the now standard RIAA curve. If you have, for example, Columbia Masterworks LPs made before 1955/1956 you probably will find the Columbia curve makes them sound less bright than the RIAA curve. If you play 'modern' stereo LPs you may find the GNs extra EQ curves are an unused feature.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Try and listen to an esoteric phono stage if you have the opportunity.

Reactions: Stump

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Stump

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Michael Fremer just gave the PS Audio Stellar an extremely positive review (I think one of the most enthusiastic reviews he has ever written).

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Michael Fremer just gave the PS Audio Stellar an extremely positive review (I think one of the most enthusiastic reviews he has ever written).

This stellar phono is a bit like Great Britain. The name is leading

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

He knew you would be reading it because "it is true, not hyperbole", he says

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Yes, I recently purchased a E-02 as I needed a balanced input, and it is really very good with my acutus/triaplanar/koetsu front end.

Good luck with your search

Reactions: Stump and bonzo75

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
ha ha good discussion, I did listen to the Stellar and it was better than the phono board in my LS100, but I have not heard the Gold Note but it gets good press. It is in the same price range as the Stellar but i am wondering how it competes.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I missed something :rolleyes:

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
OK so I ended up with a Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono. Wow great sound!!

Reactions: Down in Devon

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations! Enjoy it!

Reactions: jimbones

Down in Devon

Mar 27, 2020
I have one of these too and find it a great phono.
What type of caps do you have and are you still using the stock valves? I found rolling the 83s to Mullard (warmer 3D) or Telefunken (neutral and detailed) makes a lot of difference...

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Devon, I spoke to Kevin and he advised me that the unit I have is one of only 4 that were made. Apparently it is like a super duper unit lol.
It has all premium parts from the factory. He specifically identified 2 caps that would be candidates for change. They were 0.01uf Cardas Golden Cross Caps. I replaced them with Jupiters. Haven't had much time to listen as I am building a new listening room.
I don't understand your statement about the tubes (83's?) My unit has 6N1P. I have not changed them since everything I read said that there are no alternatives. I am all ears please explain. Thanks.

BTW, This unit exceeded my expectations. It replaces my Modwright add-on phono section in a LS100. I kept the linestage portion.

Down in Devon

Mar 27, 2020
So you purchased yours from Kevin at Definitive?
Kevin has modified many products over the years, and voiced them to suit, I am sure he will have done a great job.

The original product is a Tom Willis design (Art Audio) and IMO the yellow Hovlands that he originally put in there are pretty unbeatable. Unfortunately they are very difficult to find now (since they stopped manufacturing some time ago) and the new ones are just not the same...

I wouldn't know if Kevin has altered your unit to use different valves, but traditionally they use a 12AX7/83 for gain and I've found that changing these as mentioned to make a notable difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing