Looking for advice on phonostages

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Devon, you are confusing the Art Audio One or the Copper reference vs the Art Audio Vinyl Reference. They are way different. The Vinyl Reference was designed by Kevin Carter of K and K Audio. It was marketed under the Art Audio name but really had little to do with Art Audio. The Vinyl reference is an amazing phono stage. Mine was a unit that he went all out on and put all the best parts he could find at the time. Im sure there are better now but he said there are only 2 caps that "might" benefit from rolling. Do the research you will see the differences.

Down in Devon

Mar 27, 2020
I hadn't realised yours wasn't manufactured by Art Audio UK...the relationship between Art Audio and the US distributor changed some years ago, and I see from your posts on Audiogon comment from the new US distributor....

'The Vinyl One was made by K&K in the US more than 10 years ago to keep costs down. K&K no longer has a relationship with Art Audio UK.
The Vinyl Reference was discontinued when Vinyl One production went back to the UK. This corresponded with a price increase. You can find a review of the Vinyl Reference at The Absolute Sound.
We have since added the Vinyl One Copper Reference (I know the name is confusing) which is our ultimate expression using silver foil caps. Spectacular phono stage. I currently have my show demo for sale at $4250.
Everything I know says the Vinyl One is technically the better unit but Vinyl Reference is still excellent.'

I am sure it's a nice unit, and I personally love my Art Audio Vinyl One Ref unit which has been extensively upgraded....

Reactions: jimbones

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I had the Vinyl One (not the Copper Reference) in my system and it was very good. I think the standard Vinyl One and Vinyl Reference are pretty close but give the nod to the Vinyl Reference. I wish I could have heard the Copper Reference. But I got a screaming deal on my unit I could not pass up. probably 25% of the original cost.

ALUCARD19

Apr 2, 2020
If you get a chance you might try the Whest audio three signature, which I sold for the Parasound JC3+ which is even better, both of these are very smooth and quiet and have more settings than most people will need unless you start to get into the 20k plus TT range.

Last edited:

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
If you get a chance you might try the Whest audio three signature, which I sold for the Parasound JC3+ which is even better, both of these are very smooth and quiet and have more settingsa than most people will need unless you start to get into the 20k plus TT range.

Yes I see it gets good reviews. Just curious you said you preferred the JC3+, did you compare the new PS Audio Stellar? I think at this range it is preference because they all seem good.

ALUCARD19

Apr 2, 2020
I have not tried the PS Audio Stellar, but before I bought my Parasound JC-3 Jr I tried the Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Vinyl phono pre amp and returned it, since it didn't sound as good as the Parasound JC3+ that I was currently and still am using, that is why I ended up with a JC3 Jr.
I was trying to only use 1 preamp since I have 2 tonearms on my TT but instead I ended up with 2 separate preamps 1 for each arm.
I will still shop around for a phono stage that will let me hook up 2 or more TT or arms.
Good luck with your search and I will be following as to which phonostage you end up with.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Alucard19, my search is over, in previous posts I mentioned that I ended up with a Art Audio Vinyl Reference (By K and K audio). I love it. Now I did not do an A/B between the JC3+ and the Stellar and AAVR, but I fell in love with the AAVR. I dont remember being smitten by the Stellar or JC3+.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Just delved into vinyl world again and purchased LKV Research Veros One phono stage. First impression, very wide sound stage, layered depth and silent. Bill of LKV told me, I need to wait for about a month with regular play until it's fully run in. Before making the buying decision, I have been testing some phono stages from my friends. This is a good buy and I'm very pleased with how it sounds even right out of box.

I need to declare that I'm not a dealer, or seller and have no business relationship with this products or whatsoever. I'm just happy with this purchase. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing