Looking for best pre amplifier under $12k

flm09

May 1, 2020
Hi I am using a conrad-johnson ET3SE and was wondering how I can get better sound without spending a fortune like the ET7 S2.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
Thomas Mayer 10Y linestage
Thomas Mayer Linestage Product page
If you’re in the USA you can deduct the 19% VAT that is included in the price listed on his product page.

Highly recommended. The build quality is insane and the sound quality tops that. Among the best purchases I’ve ever made in my 35 years in the hobby.

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
The 10 Y is out of my budget for now!

I apologize. I must have misunderstood. The thread title said best preamp under $12k. What is your budget?

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
The Mayer 10Y is a good recommendation but difficult to audition in the US. Lamm Industries LL2.1 Deluxe is lovely. New Audio Frontiers Amati could be a good fit if a remote is mandatory.

Many people will have many opinions. Your opinion is ultimately what matters and to discover the answer you'll need to hear for yourself.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

flm09

May 1, 2020
The Mayer 10Y is a good recommendation but difficult to audition in the US. Lamm Industries LL2.1 Deluxe is lovely. New Audio Frontiers Amati could be a good fit if a remote is mandatory.

Many people will have many opinions. Your opinion is ultimately what matters and to discover the answer you'll need to hear for yourself.

I thought about Lamm but don't think their volume control using dual Noble pots is SOTA. Yes I prefer a remote as well. I don't know why Lamm doesn't put out a stepped attenuator with one resistor in the path at one time. I will check out the Amati thanks!

flm09

May 1, 2020

What kind of remote control volume controller do they use? Website doesn't say!

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
My budget I prefer is around 5k. Is the ET7S2 really that much different from the ET3SE?

A Misho Myronov (Audio Antiquary) Wooden Preamp fits the bill around that price point. It's quite off the beaten path but it makes outstanding music in my system. In any case, I hope you find what suits you. It's a jungle out there when it comes to preamps.

Edit: Sorry, no volume control here

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75 and flm09

flm09

May 1, 2020
Does anyone have any contacts or dealers where I can get a good price on the Vinnie Rossi L2 se preamp?

flm09

May 1, 2020
A Misho Myronov (Audio Antiquary) Wooden Preamp fits the bill around that price point. It's quite off the beaten path but it makes outstanding music in my system. In any case, I hope you find what suits you. It's a jungle out there when it comes to preamps.

Edit: Sorry, no volume control here

What is the retail price of this preamp? Where do you buy one?

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
What kind of remote control volume controller do they use? Website doesn't say!
In my opinion, I think you're asking the wrong questions.

Different questions: Does the preamp electrically match the rest of my system? Does it emotionally connect me to the music? Does it make me want to turn my system on more often? Does it fit my personal aesthetic?

How the component sounds and how it makes you feel when in use are eternal hifi criteria. They're also entirely subjective. Paraphrasing a friend (thanks Neli): it could be a box of rocks as long as it sounds good.

flm09

May 1, 2020
In my opinion, I think you're asking the wrong questions.

Different questions: Does the preamp electrically match the rest of my system? Does it emotionally connect me to the music? Does it make me want to turn my system on more often? Does it fit my personal aesthetic?

How the component sounds and how it makes you feel when in use are eternal hifi criteria. They're also entirely subjective. Paraphrasing a friend (thanks Neli): it could be a box of rocks as long as it sounds good.

Yes, sound is top priority and prefer remote control that's more than just a pot. I'm not too worried with it matching electrically. I would like to try DHT preamp. Something like a Vinnie Rossi L2 se but less expensive.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Get a Pass XP-22.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing