Looking for best pre amplifier under $12k

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Yes, sound is top priority and prefer remote control that's more than just a pot. I'm not too worried with it matching electrically. I would like to try DHT preamp. Something like a Vinnie Rossi L2 se but less expensive.

Why not consider a Coincident statement linestage? It's a DHT with transformer circuit. Sound fast and resolving particularly with strings instruments. There's also a rare version with remote control (slightly lower in performance). New around 6k and used around 3k. Caveat: two inputs only.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Aries Cerat Incito also fits the bill at about 9k in Europe.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Get a VAC Signature MKIIa SE. SQ equally excellent via XLR or RCA . Transformer coupling with low impedance that will drive most amps. Only uses a pair of 6922/e88cc and very sensitive to tube rolling. Excellent customer service.

I just sold mine for personal reasons and NOT performance. Sounds fantastic with my BIG tube ARC REF250SE and CAT JL7 amps. My former Hegel H30, TRL Samsons ....

Reactions: DeadWax

flm09

May 1, 2020
Why not consider a Coincident statement linestage? It's a DHT with transformer circuit. Sound fast and resolving particularly with strings instruments. There's also a rare version with remote control (slightly lower in performance). New around 6k and used around 3k. Caveat: two inputs only.
Ok thanks I will check it out!

flm09

May 1, 2020
Get a VAC Signature MKIIa SE. SQ equally excellent via XLR or RCA . Transformer coupling with low impedance that will drive most amps. Only uses a pair of 6922/e88cc and very sensitive to tube rolling. Excellent customer service.

I just sold mine for personal reasons and NOT performance. Sounds fantastic with my BIG tube ARC REF250SE and CAT JL7 amps. My former Hegel H30, TRL Samsons ....

Thanks! I leaning towards DHT preamps now. Had enough small signal tube pre amps.

jh901

Jun 22, 2018
PITTSBURGH

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
Supratek Cabernet DHT with the option to use both 300Bs or 45s.If you want a phono stage included the Supratek Grange.
Coincident is also pretty good but I prefer the Supratek.

flm09

May 1, 2020
It's great design but inside built kind of messy unless you can show me recent photos!

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
Supratek uses shortest path hardwiring so yes the wiring will look a bit messy.But in real life it looks fine because the chasis depth is used to give separation of wires and components.That wiring is part of the reason they sound so good.A purist approach not a neat freak's one.I have had tube amps where the wires are all bundled together in nice straight lines and that is much more prone to causing problems.As are circuit boards-which also spoil the sound.

flm09

May 1, 2020
Supratek uses shortest path hardwiring so yes the wiring will look a bit messy.But in real life it looks fine because the chasis depth is used to give separation of wires and components.That wiring is part of the reason they sound so good.A purist approach not a neat freak's one.I have had tube amps where the wires are all bundled together in nice straight lines and that is much more prone to causing problems.As are circuit boards-which also spoil the sound.
I hear you! But I'm that need freak kind of guy!

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
Hi I am using a conrad-johnson ET3SE and was wondering how I can get better sound without spending a fortune like the ET7 S2.
Hi.
3 questions:

In your set up.. What tubes for main gain stage are you using?
12ax7 (high gain) or 12au7 (low gain?
And.. What setting does your volume knob stop at when it just perfectly loud on the song with best base.

And can you describe the base at that setting.
Slightly loose or just perfect..

And thirdly what is the name of the amplifier...?

Thanx

Imperial.

flm09

May 1, 2020
Hi.
3 questions:

In your set up.. What tubes for main gain stage are you using?
12ax7 (high gain) or 12au7 (low gain?
And.. What setting does your volume knob stop at when it just perfectly loud on the song with best base.

And can you describe the base at that setting.
Slightly loose or just perfect..

And thirdly what is the name of the amplifier...?

Thanx

Imperial.
The cj uses only one tube PC7388 a tougher version of 6922. My volume at lower end around 20. CJ owners will know this. I have Pass xa25, Prima Luna evo 200 (ge 12au7 & orion) power tubes stock el34 for now.

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
The cj uses only one tube PC7388 a tougher version of 6922. My volume at lower end around 20. CJ owners will know this. I have Pass xa25, Prima Luna evo 200 (ge 12au7 & orion) power tubes stock el34 for now.
Ok.
Pass Labs XA25 aka 20db gain transistor amp.
I can see why you would need a high gain pre for that.

Better sound meaning better tubes for the Etc3...
There are threads on this forum debating that already.

But I've seen it written that Philips SQ88CC Holland Herleen ca 1960'sh tubes are suppose
To be one of the clearest neutral and punchiest tubes still with that inner glow intact, in a CJ Etc3.

So.. another tube pre then. 25 ish gain with low enough noise floor...That usually costs money.

I think the above mentioned tube might get you a lot of those CJ Et7 S2's qualities, not needing an actual pre upgrade.

That is ... if this is what you actually are looking for as an improvement then.

You want better sound.
A very loosely defined goal.

Save money. Buy the Et7? Maybe the best bet!

CAT SL 1 pre optionally? But then only if it has the 46 stepped volume module...

Budget 5 large...

I'd try more tubes first, but that's me.

Best of luck!

Imperial

flm09

May 1, 2020
Ok.

But I've seen it written that Philips SQ88CC Holland Herleen ca 1960'sh tubes are suppose
To be one of the clearest neutral and punchiest tubes still with that inner glow intact, in a CJ Etc3.

So.. another tube pre then. 25 ish gain with low enough noise floor...That usually costs money.

I think the above mentioned tube might get you a lot of those CJ Et7 S2's qualities, not needing an actual pre upgrade.

That is ... if this is what you actually are looking for as an improvement then.

You want better sound.

CAT SL 1 pre optionally? But then only if it has the 46 stepped volume module...

Budget 5 large...

Best of luck!

Imperial
Those are good tips! If only i can get an in store orcom home demo level matched not knowing what preamp is in the chain then i can decide
Ok.

You want better sound.

Budget 5 large...

Best of luck!

Imperial
Yeah I might search out that tube you mentioned. The Pass worked with a low gain tube pre too the LTA MZ2 but to clean sounding but better bass than ET3SE. When going up to ET7 the bigger power supply will get you the better bass and dynamics. But most owners says more organic than the 3se. I did a 180 and recently purchased a Cayin A-300b Mk II. I will post my findings in a week. Thanks!

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
I would recomend you to sell your x25.
It is a reall bitch to please...
I gather you have somewhat easy speakers to drive in your two systems?
You got the living room sys with the integrated and then your seperate stack else be it within the house maybe??

Anyways...
I would really look into the Cat Slxxx option....
I really would.
It be 5 levels up from CJ stuff. Including their most expensive stuff...

Your milage may differ...

Perche....

flm09

May 1, 2020
I would recomend you to sell your x25.
It is a reall bitch to please...
I gather you have somewhat easy speakers to drive in your two systems?
You got the living room sys with the integrated and then your seperate stack else be it within the house maybe??

Anyways...
I would really look into the Cat Slxxx option....
I really would.
It be 5 levels up from CJ stuff. Including their most expensive stuff...

Your milage may differ...

Perche....
Yes I may sell the Pass. I am now only into high efficiency speakers & se dht triode amps. They speak the truth to me. Im using Klipsch Heresy IV. I just got a new Cayin A-300b Mk II integrated. Does tone and naturalness way better than my separates. I will look for say the La Scala horns and that will be my end game speaker and will be done! Thanks for everyone for their suggestions.

Reactions: Imperial

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing