Looking for first tube amplifier

elshout

Aug 27, 2018
I am looking for advice on getting a tube amplifier. This would be my first foray into tubes as I have always been a solid state guy. I would like to get an amp that I can keep for years – old or new does not matter much – that has the following features/characteristics in order of priority:
  • Tube sound – I already have solid state, so I would want the “tube” sound
  • Low noise through speakers when music is not playing – I have heard some older amps, tube and SS, that have a lot of noise – I don’t mind updating an older tube amp with new capacitors etc if it will fix the noise, I just don’t want this to be a permanent issue for said tube amp
  • Good bass – this seems to be the downfall of a lot of tube amps that I read in reviews. Even reviews of the latest McIntosh MC 275 state lack of bass
  • Balanced inputs if possible – but not a deal breaker
  • Good visual appeal. I would like this to be number 1, but I know that is not what is important – but it would be a bonus if the tubes are out in the open and if the amp looks good like a McIntosh MC 275 or HK Citation etc. – again not a deal breaker, but would be a nice bonus
  • Would probably want at least 30 watts.

Currently my system is a Pass Labs XP-30 preamp, 2 McIntosh MC 601 mono blocks, and Legacy Focus SE speakers (95 db and 4 ohm). I would add the tube amp to this system replacing the MC 601s when I want to listen to the “tube sound” or maybe just when listening to vinyl.

If the amp can hold its own in the mids and upper end, I could keep it on the upper end of the Focus speakers and use the MC 601s for the low end – Bi amp. If the amp is really nice sounding but not a good match for the Legacy speakers, I may eventually get a pair of Klipsch or something for efficiency.

Budget around $2,000 – Would be willing to go to $4,000 if justified to meet my criteria.

Give me your experienced recommendations.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have the XP-30 as well and if I were to go tubed with that budget, I'd look for a used Audio Research. Those were my first tubed amps and loved them!

elshout

Aug 27, 2018
Hey Bruce, any thoughts on which ones? I see the Audio Research VT80 has some good reviews. About $4500 to $5000 used. A little higher that I want to go, but would do it if is the top choice for the money.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think Prime Luna sounds good and is reliable and easy to deal with.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Maybe, BAT VK-75SE? Iirc, the BAT has 4 ohm taps. I'm using Atma-Sphere tube monoblocs; however, they are OTL.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hey Bruce, any thoughts on which ones? I see the Audio Research VT80 has some good reviews. About $4500 to $5000 used. A little higher that I want to go, but would do it if is the top choice for the money.

The VT80 is a great choice. I had a VT100 and loved it! Here's one on A-gon for $2300. There's also a Ref 75 for $4400

Audio Research VT100 Mk III

Audio Research Ref 75

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
REF75, then do the SE upgrade.
If you gotta have bass from a tube amp, then look no further than Audio Research.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Don't know about that REF75- my friend bought one brand new and upon set up --switched on blew the 3:15A mains fuse.
dealer said-just replace and all should be OK-- did that--- fuse stayed intact but sparks/etc and number of the output tubes blew.
Back to ARC 3 months later- ARC full repair /etc new set output tubes--all fine they said
Owner with the new tubes-inserted new 3:15A--poof gone again--sent to local tech as dealer
cried no more!!--Local tech said resistors across tubes faulty--luckily no new ARC output tubes damaged.

He promptly sold the thing!--sad what seems to be happening to the current ARC Quality control--I had an SP-3A/D79B combo for 13years and it never missed a beat :)

I 'd suggest any other ARC but that model frankly:rolleyes:

BruceD

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ref 75 doesn't represent "current ARC Quality control". That's an old, discontinued model.
Current is REF 75 SE.
KeithR here has one, and has had it for what, more than a year. Nary a glitch.
We've, of course, sold ARC for a while now, again, no major glitches. Sure, tubes blow up, but that's why the new models (starting with the REF 160), have a protection circuit that won't require replacing stuff on the board.

cheers,
Alex

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Think a little long term and if you want to sell on in the future. I’ve used ARC gear for a long time and never had trouble selling when the time came. Cannot comment on the other recommendations, so good luck with your eventual choice.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
@elshout, since you mentioned the McIntosh MC275, there is a one-owner MC275 VI in very good condition on US Audio mart at the moment asking $3850 firm. The seller has 100% positive f'back & is also throwing in 3 matched sets of NOS tubes along with the stock tubes. That should tick most of your boxes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing