looking for NOS pair of GM 70 copper plate meant for Lamm ML3

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,I am looking for a NOS pair of GM 70 copper plate,meant for Lamm ML3s,please send private message if you have
a pair.

Regards Robert

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hai strapper ,

Another question i remember in the past you were a dealer/user of top of the line Convergent audio products and later Lamm(ML 3)
How would you say they differ soundwise ?

Thanks brg HJ

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi HJ

The CAT is a stronger more meaty sound.
The Lamm is more refined and delicate.
Both are tremendous products.
Higher efficiency speakers use Lamm,more balls required
use CAT.

Regards Robert

Reactions: jeff1225

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi microstrip,

Did you get these GM 70 copper plates from Vladimir or somewhere else.

Robert

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi microstrip,

Did you get these GM 70 copper plates from Vladimir or somewhere else.

Robert

From a seller in Russia. Although the advert told they were tested, I wanted to adapt my test gig to burn-in and them test before putting them in the ML3. I never try new tubes, independently of origin, before testing them. Better blowing the test gig fuse than audio equipment. However I lost interest in the ML3 and the project was damped.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi HJ

use CAT.

Regards Robert
What ICs and speaker cables are you using with your ML3's?

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Microstrip,

I do not want to name names of other brands,but let's just say I have tried the top of the line from every major manufacturer.
The best I have found is the Elrod Master series.I use David Elod's top of the line Diamond.
It does things that I have to shake my head sometimes.

Robert

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi HJ

use CAT.

Regards Robert
What speakers are you using with ML3's?

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi HJ,

I am using the Avalon Saga's (92 DB efficient-never goes below 4 Ohm impedence )
They sound heavenly,as a matter of fact I have problems getting things done I am always in
the music room.

Robert

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Microstrip,

I do not want to name names of other brands,but let's just say I have tried the top of the line from every major manufacturer.
The best I have found is the Elrod Master series.I use David Elod's top of the line Diamond.
It does things that I have to shake my head sometimes.

Robert
Thanks. Can I ask what was the second best?

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Microstrip,

I really do not want to throw names around.Everyone has there own
taste in cables and I don't want to judge anyones opinion.I just think the Elrod Master series are quite special.

Robert

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Microstrip,

I really do not want to throw names around.Everyone has there own
taste in cables and I don't want to judge anyones opinion.I just think the Elrod Master series are quite special.

Robert

I was not asking about judgments or recommendations, just about your (positive) preference. ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hi HJ

use CAT.

Regards Robert
Besides that would it also not be dependend of the listener/user music choice .
If your merely a classical jazz vocals admirer the Lamm would be the go to choice .
But if you like rock pop and house music as well the meaty dynamic power of the CAT would likely be the prefered choice , i am just guessing here as i have not had much exposure to lamm

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Besides that would it also not be dependend of the listener/user music choice .
If your merely a classical jazz vocals admirer the Lamm would be the go to choice .
But if you like rock pop and house music as well the meaty dynamic power of the CAT would likely be the prefered choice , i am just guessing here as i have not had much exposure to lamm
It comes down to the speakers not the type of music I have a close friend with Lamm ML3 and his recently upgraded to the latest and greatest CAT JL3 sitting side by side. With his Kharma's CAT's additional power is of no consequence.

david

Reactions: bonzo75

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,

It all comes down to how efficient and how low the impedence goes on the speaker you are asking the
ML3s to drive.
If either one is not right the ML3 will sound weak and underpowered.
But give it the right speaker and watch out.
The CAT amps put out good current so you get away with almost
any speaker and it will sound good.
But for finesse and transparency no one beats the ML3s.
With the right speaker of course.

Regards Robert

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Yep, physics is your friend with these amplifiers...when fed appropriately, most efficient speakers are a fit; however, as Robert mentioned, one has to look out for those big impedance energy dips. In that case, it is best ferret out that requirement to another transducer.

vbw,
-a

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
But for finesse and transparency no one beats the ML3s.
With the right speaker of course.

Regards Robert

Nothing short of that. And the right pair of 12AX7s would bring music to the naked level.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Nothing short of that. And the right pair of 12AX7s would bring music to the naked level.
Totally agree

In fact as I have said here so many times that the only tube I have ever rolled in my system was the 12AX7 in my ML3. I use the Holy Grail of 12AX7's the NOS Tele ECC803S and I know that several years ago I passed that on to strapper211 and he uses them as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing