Looking for Tube Recommendations!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I figure it's time to re-tube my LAMM LL2.1 Deluxe preamp. Looking for suggestions on the best tubes you all are enjoying. Here is the tube complement:

1. Two 12AU7's
  2. Two 6DJ8's
  3. One 6X4
Looking for vintage tubes, will probably purchase from Upscale Audio. Thank you in advance!

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
The best '6DJ8' I ever heard in my recent saga of selecting tubes for my PS Audio BHK300s is the British-made Mullard E188CC, US #7308. I found them highly resolving, NOT forward, quite spacious, and a tad warmly balanced...JUST right for me. :) :) :)

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
For the 12 AU7 I use the Telefunken NOS ECC801S (if you can find them)

as for the 6x4 I would use the tube Vlad recommends. I changed mine about 6 months ago and the sonic difference with new tubes was fabulous. It cost all of $70 for me to replace the 6x4

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
For 6DJ8 family:

Amperex 7308, NOS 1963 Holland PQ shield with two stars (Holland)
Amperex 7308, NOS 1965 USN-CEP/JAN (USA)
Siemens 7308, NOS mid-1970s
Telefunken 6DJ8, NOS late 1960s
Amperex 7308, NOS 1967 JAN Orange Globe (USA)

Also consider TubeWorld.com
He currently has a nice selection of Telefunken ECC801S

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Try RAM Labs as well, Roger normally has 3 grades of each tube.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Jeffrey

Bottom line IMHO when it comes to replacing tubes for a Lamm component is to always buy from Vlad. He has an uncanny ability to always select the best tubes for his components and he strongly warns clients against tube rolling. The only tubes I have rolled are the 12AU7 with ECC 801S NOS Telefunken and the 12AX7 on my Lamm ampler which I use the Telefunken NOS ECC 803S

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
A couple tubes I find among the absolute best in the 6dj8 family have not been mentioned.

Mullard 6922, gold pins. Excellent tube with great bass authority, and overall clarity, without excessive warmth and certainly not dry. Great tone. I was somewhat surprised by this tube as I often associate Mullard with overly warm and often thick sound.

Mazda 7308. Probably the most dynamic and snappy tube I've heard in this family. Nice tone, a bit sweet. Not warm, not bright. Really good top to bottom.

Other mentions:
Siemens CCa - Very even handed with very nice tone, but I find them a tad dull for my preference. They're very expensive. Sold my pair. I wonder how different Telefunken CCa would be. I've never tried.

Amperex 7308s - I dislike these quite a bit. I consistently find them overly warm, and too veiled. They lack the clarity of either the Mullard or the Mazda mentioned above.

Where to buy? Brent Jessee is my preferred tube dealer. He's a bit more expensive than others, but his service and consistent quality makes it worthwhile.

Last edited:

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Siemens CCa - I think (?) these are used in Ypsilon phonos. Very even handed with very nice tone, but I find them a tad dull for my preference. They're very expensive. Sold my pair.

Where to buy? Brent Jessee is my preferred tube dealer. He's a bit more expensive than others, but his service and consistent quality makes it worthwhile.

Hi Brian - thanks for the recommendations. FYI, the Ypsilon uses Siemens C3g tubes, not the CCa.

+ 1 on Brent Jesse - very reputable and great quality.

Reactions: bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Which 6dj8 tubes does Vlad use by default?

@jeffreybehr I think Mullard 6922 and 7308 might be the same thing... I think we are on the same page with respect to its performance.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thank you. I'm on his site right now, terrible user interface but amazing amount of information. I think I'll order my tubes there. Thank you for the reco!

Hi Jeffrey,

I just pulled my invoice for a 6922 NOS tube for my CJ from the person I found to be very responsive and professional for a recommendation. Yes, Brent Jessee. And he also offers an extended warranty. And he does have an amazing inventory.

Reactions: christoph

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Jeffrey,

For 12AU7, I have found Mullard ECC186 to be very special in my Concert Fidelity 080 LSX2 pre, it is very transparent, and I'd say pretty neutral. I have tried many and this is my favourite by far.

Best Rgds
Paul

Reactions: jeff1225

purevinyl

Jan 7, 2018
i would try to contact Andy Bowman from Vintage Tube Services (Best to Call)

imo: finding actual True NOS tubes are becoming very hard to find (6922/7308/12AX7 etc..) the biggest problem most of the vendors are actually selling "Used" tubes, labeled as NOS stock? including Brent Jesse and most of the other guys selling old stock tubes...

If the tubes don't measure at NOS levels (GM/Noise/Microphonics) i would not even bother buying or installing in any hi-end equipment! ask the vendor for a full test report before buying or spending $$$ on old NOS tubes..

That's why i like Andy Bowman, he is a straight shooter and very honest in his testing and knowledge! Warning: don't ask him about the other vendors. LOL

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing