'Lord of the Rings' individual releases on Blu-Ray

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
See, that's the beauty of acronyms. TLA could just as easily signify Two Letter Acronym. DoD is fond of Twenty-seven Letter Acronyms.

Yup! Except the pedant in me is compelled to point out that many TLAs aren't acronyms at all! Abbreviations, yes, but not acronyms. :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Are they including the multi channel soundtrack in hi rez as well separate from the movie? I love the soundtrack to LOTR.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Are they including the multi channel soundtrack in hi rez as well separate from the movie? I love the soundtrack to LOTR.
Carl, they do not. Perhaps that will come with the EE uber set. Meanwhile, there's a box set "complete recordings" for each movie, with not only the soundtrack on 4 CD's, but the complete pieces as written by Shore, on DVD-A (DD Surround and DD stereo). I have ROTK and hearing the full versions of the lighting of the beacons and the Rohirrim charge is well worth the price of admission.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
For those who may not own the set, Amazon is selling the individually packaged LOTR Blu-rays for $7.99 each. Hard to say "no" to those kind of bargain bin prices.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For those who may not own the set, Amazon is selling the individually packaged LOTR Blu-rays for $7.99 each. Hard to say "no" to those kind of bargain bin prices.

That's a great price! I just bought the boxset for $30.99CDN from Amazon CA, which isn't too bad!

EDIT: I cancelled the Amazon order and got it at Costco for $24.99 a few days later.

Last edited:

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
EE's this year per Bill Hunt
What's more, our sources are NOW telling us that WHV (and their now in-house New Line label) is ALSO planning to release Peter Jackson's long-awaited The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Editions on Blu-ray sometime this year. No kidding. We suspect that, now that The Hobbit films are finally about to begin filming, the studio is eager to get more product on store shelves to keep the franchise fresh in the minds of fans. The Extended Rings films on BD are the obvious choice for this year. Farther down the line, of course, there will be the obvious Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D versions of The Hobbit films, and sooner or later an "ultimate" box set of all the films with all new extras custom created by Jackson. Anyway, our sources tell us to expect some kind of official news on all this ....... from the studio in the next several weeks.
http://digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I bought these Blu-Rays from Amazon. There is a lot of hand-wringing on the Amazon site because these are not the extended editions. I've seen the extended editions on regular DVD. They're fine but I don't really care if the additional scenes are on the Blu-Rays. The movies are long enough already and can stand on their own.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bought these Blu-Rays from Amazon. There is a lot of hand-wringing on the Amazon site because these are not the extended editions. I've seen the extended editions on regular DVD. They're fine but I don't really care if the additional scenes are on the Blu-Rays. The movies are long enough already and can stand on their own.

Same here. I won't be double-dipping with the Extended Edition either.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Same here. I won't be double-dipping with the Extended Edition either.

Good Morning John. I was able to purchase each of the Blu-rays from Amazon when they were $7.99 each. I like the extended versions of the films much more than the Theatrical Releases because they provid much information that better tells the story. So, for me and having paid so little for the individual releases (and even though I have the extended versions on DVD) I plan to purchase the extended Blu-ray versions once they are released.

Rich

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Good Morning John. I was able to purchase each of the Blu-rays from Amazon when they were $7.99 each. I like the extended versions of the films much more than the Theatrical Releases because they provid much information that better tells the story. So, for me and having paid so little for the individual releases (and even though I have the extended versions on DVD) I plan to purchase the extended Blu-ray versions once they are released.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm not a big fan of "fantasy", so the current release works well for me. I can surely appreciate wanting to have the Extended Edition if your a fan of the genre or the series on their own.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
For those awaiting the EE, the trilogy is now up for preorder @ Amazon. Release date 2011/2012 and details are still somewhat vague, though it's been posted that video codec is MPEG-4 AVC, whereas the theatrical release version was VC-1.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
For those awaiting the EE, the trilogy is now up for preorder @ Amazon. Release date 2011/2012 and details are still somewhat vague, though it's been posted that video codec is MPEG-4 AVC, whereas the theatrical release version was VC-1.

If they can fit each movie on to a single Blu-ray disc without sacrificing the picture and audio quality, I'll be really happy. Stick all the extras on other discs to maximise room for the movie itself!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
LOTREE Trilogy, Extended Editions on Blu-ray!

Oh yeah, I'll be right there baby! :)

-------

-------- Can you tell?

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Does anyone know if the movies themselves are a straight port for content from the dvd versions or are they EE'd even more??

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ron, you only get what the link to Amazon says. ...Unless someone else knows more about it.

Beam me up to LOTR Limited EE on Blu

My guess => 12 Discs all together:
* 3 Blu-ray discs for the three EE movies.
* 6 DVDs for the Special Features.
* And 3 Digital Copies.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing