Low cost Natural sound systems from YouTube

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Narayan and Folsom

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
If you go to vintage is another beautiful world,you can find very good things very musical at cheap price.One time i had and tried very well
Klipsch Heresy E with ANJ Neiro silver and Leak tl 12 plus mono,paid 1.000 euro
I didnt understand which was better,Neiro silver little better in mid and Leak little better in mid high and bass similar,one 8 watt and Leak 12 watt
one 12.000 euro used and other 1.000 euro

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The tiny speakers in the front, not the big ones at the back

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
These are mostly from pimpamusic's YouTube channel. Will add more. Good examples of natural sound at a low cost. Not complete always in terms of extension or detail, but still excellent.

http://zero-distortion.org/low-cost-natural-sound-youtube-examples/

Nice collection of great oldies, you're getting natural sound now, when you visited you were still digital and after impressive sound...

Japanese old timers are ahead of these guys and most of them have the music collection to go with it too.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice collection of great oldies, you're getting natural sound now, when you visited you were still digital and after impressive sound...

Japanese old timers are ahead of these guys and most of them have the music collection to go with it too.

david

That was the start of my analog journey, but even then I told you I was looking at horns and apogees and will not be looking at certain brands oft mentioned on the forum.

What is impressive about the videos above is that while compromised a bit (like most systems) the cost is way too low.

I think Italians are impressive as well, and Russians.

Unfortunately, forum measures itself on the big Mac index.

Reactions: Folsom

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That was the start of my analog journey, but even then I told you I was looking at horns and apogees and will not be looking at certain brands oft mentioned on the forum.

What is impressive about the videos above is that while compromised a bit (like most systems) the cost is way too low.

I think Italians are impressive as well, and Russians.

Unfortunately, forum measures itself on the big Mac index.
It's a matter of exposure! I know nothing about the Italian audio scene but I'm sure that Gian and his friend with Yamamura horn aren't typical, anywhere in the world.

david

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
In Italy there is not the culture of horn because no one distributor imported horn speaker,only some has old Altec A 7,Tannoy or hand made 3/4 way with Altec,Coral, Tad,cheap Ale and Goto and only one big shop DI Prinzio produced by himself but no one buy.
I listen many system,no bad but with many problems,is no simple to do.

I and some friend have culture because in 1990 i had ML 6B and 4 pair N 20 with Soundlab A1 and sub B1 and in that day i knew Yamamura that came to live in Italy and i was his first customer/ friend.
I was very happy of my system and after 3 weeks,Yamamura lived some months in my home to build a system,and Yamamura told me that my sound was terrible and start to teach me about tube SET,output trans in superpermalloy and mumetal,Horns,Driver,special SUT and did one system to me.
He was at my married and gift one mono amp to me and one to my wife.

Then after 3 years he left Italy for many problems and arrived in Italy Imai of Audiotekne and visit me 5/6 times and teach me some.
Later i knew always in Italy and did many dinner and listening with Sakuma,Uchida ( Tamura ) Endo ( Ale ),Shindo so understood many thing

But in Munich,for exemple i never liked a horn speaker,always some problems,and is very expensive do and no one i know is able to do,including network,so i bought Montagna speaker that are 98 db very fast and natural for high quality of his driver

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I should remind all people commenting on this thread and those liking their posts...This natural sound is not the answer to every question as this is a very subjective concept and this is only your opinion

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
In Italy there is not the culture of horn because no one distributor imported horn speaker,only some has old Altec A 7,Tannoy or hand made 3/4 way with Altec,Coral, Tad,cheap Ale and Goto and only one big shop DI Prinzio produced by himself but no one buy.
I listen many system,no bad but with many problems,is no simple to do.

I and some friend have culture because in 1990 i had ML 6B and 4 pair N 20 with Soundlab A1 and sub B1 and in that day i knew Yamamura that came to live in Italy and i was his first customer/ friend.
I was very happy of my system and after 3 weeks,Yamamura lived some months in my home to build a system,and Yamamura told me that my sound was terrible and start to teach me about tube SET,output trans in superpermalloy and mumetal,Horns,Driver,special SUT and did one system to me.
He was at my married and gift one mono amp to me and one to my wife.

Then after 3 years he left Italy for many problems and arrived in Italy Imai of Audiotekne and visit me 5/6 times and teach me some.
Later i knew always in Italy and did many dinner and listening with Sakuma,Uchida ( Tamura ) Endo ( Ale ),Shindo so understood many thing

But in Munich,for exemple i never liked a horn speaker,always some problems,and is very expensive do and no one i know is able to do,including network,so i bought Montagna speaker that are 98 db very fast and natural for high quality of his driver

Those are wonderful and I'm sure very expensive adventures you had Gian, your experiences are special and this at a time when the rest of us were following the stupid audio magazine and the likes of Pearson & Holt.

I had the A1+B1 system too, actually the A1's with a pair of early KSA100's at Ricardo Franassovici were my first introduction to high end as we know it now.

I understand your comment on the modern horns, also there's not one that I've heard that I want to live with. Tang's Cessaro's are the best modern ones I've heard, maybe because of the AS2000;) but for me they still lack some of the qualities I love in vintage horns. What's ironic about your speakers is that while they're 98db they got into solid state, that tells me they're not as easy to drive as you might hope and 98db high sensitivity number is only one measurement and only part of the whole story.

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think this could also be titled "Stereos by men who never married"

Several of them sound nice. But can any of them play anything like rock or more complicated orchestra? I guess they are budget systems, even though most of them seem to feature expensive TT's.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I need to buy whatever phone Tang has... I have the hardest time trying to get videos to sound anything like what I hear. I was trying to capture something that isn't so second order distortion saturated. That type of distortion helps smooth out problems in stereos and makes for a very enjoyable experience but it also imposes very strong limitations.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Bonzo thank you for posting. I really think that audio nirvana is found by mixing the best of vintage and current audio.

It no surprise that one of the favorite rooms at THE Show for my audio friends and me was the room with reconditioned Altec VOTT speakers. Although he only had digital, it was one of the most enjoyable rooms to listen to. And all for the cost of one of the RCA cable in some of the systems on this forum.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I need to buy whatever phone Tang has... I have the hardest time trying to get videos to sound anything like what I hear. I was trying to capture something that isn't so second order distortion saturated. That type of distortion helps smooth out problems in stereos and makes for a very enjoyable experience but it also imposes very strong limitations.

This is very good. The speed and nuance is excellent. For tone, I can settle for it though I would prefer to have 2 or 3 from the list in my link, for the violin (i haven't been through the rest again)

As for expensive TTs, most of them are at Garrard 301 and EMT 930 level, which are not expensive, especially if not restored.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This is very good. The speed and nuance is excellent. For tone, I can settle for it though I would prefer to have 2 or 3 from the list in my link, for the violin (i haven't been through the rest again)

As for expensive TTs, most of them are at Garrard 301 and EMT 930 level, which are not expensive, especially if not restored.

This was horrible! It sounds like a bandsaw instead of violin.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This was horrible! It sounds like a bandsaw instead of violin.

david

Yes on the tone, so I said I would prefer the other two for the tone. But it's got speed and nuance. I think the tone can be rectified by using a good recording and good cart phono combo

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
A portable speed metal cutting bandsaw type David?

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

I’d just put the money towards a system like Tang’s... I’m sure his phone is great but there might be other things going on there as well ;)

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing