LPS for ATT Router + ONT (optical network termination)

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
I've been slowly building out the network side of my digital system. All Network cables are now LinkUp 8 (very good value for money), an old Shunyata Hydra 6 supplies power to the ATT BGW210 Router/ONT & to an Uptone Audio ER + Paul Hynes LPS. You can see my sig for details of what's been done so far.

I'm thinking it is now time to power the Router/ONT with an LPS. I'd been considering the Uptone JS-2, but had read that several people found better sound with the new iFi iPower Elite than with the JS-2. However, what I don't like about the Elite is that it is single rail and that it has a captive DC line. So I've started looking for other dual-rail LPS options. One that looks good and is reasonably priced is the Keces P6 at $550. I know Tom of Tom's Corner forum, here on WBF, has had good results with the now superceded Keces P3. I'm wondering what others are using? I've not been able to find much in the way of discussion on the ATT BGW210 Router/ONT I'm using and am hoping maybe some of you are using the same combo and you'd chime in with what you've upgraded to, and your findings. And of course, I'm really interested to hear about what others are using to power their routers, ONTs, and the network part of your system.

Reactions: Steve Rowan

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
The Sbooster linear power supply is excellent.
I use the Uptone JS2. Also Uptone Lps1.2. The newer HDPlex are good. You can add LT 3045 modules after the linear power supply. I believe they are about $100 on eBay.

I have a linear power supply for every component possible. I’d save the best ones you have for the last step before the DAC.

The effects are cumulative.
Good DC cables are a big difference too.

Reactions: Thuan

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
The Sbooster linear power supply is excellent.
I use the Uptone JS2. Also Uptone Lps1.2. The newer HDPlex are good. You can add LT 3045 modules after the linear power supply. I believe they are about $100 on eBay.

I have a linear power supply for every component possible. I’d save the best ones you have for the last step before the DAC.

The effects are cumulative.
Good DC cables are a big difference too.
@Steve Rowan

Steve, thanks for the input. Which Sbooster and which HDPlex do you like? I'm not sure what a LT 3045 modules is. How does it work?

I meant to ask in my original post what DC cables people would recommend. I'm familiar with Audio Sensibilities but they tend to be kind of expensive. It would be nice to know about other less expensive options as this is for a router and ONT and like you said Steve, save the best ones (LPS and DC leads) for the last step before the DAC.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Sbooster makes about 6-8 models. The differences are the voltage output. So if you bought a 12volt model it has a switch to cut or boost to 13 bolts or down to 11 I believe. Sbooster has add on modules for all their linear power supplies that add am LT 3045 for considerable bettter sound.

The HDPlex I use is his latest I believe the 300 if I remember correctly. It has some built in LT3045 modules. The modules greatly reduce the noise.
These are examples of LT 3045 modules.

There was a guy selling them in a small plastic box ready to use. With the raw ones you’d need to buy the small project boxes and attach the modules, drill holes, etc.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Sbooster makes about 6-8 models. The differences are the voltage output. So if you bought a 12volt model it has a switch to cut or boost to 13 bolts or down to 11 I believe. Sbooster has add on modules for all their linear power supplies that add am LT 3045 for considerable bettter sound.

The HDPlex I use is his latest I believe the 300 if I remember correctly. It has some built in LT3045 modules. The modules greatly reduce the noise.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
using an CLC made with high end components followed by DC3 modules by Sean Jacobs for the router and switch here, with great result! have been using several other linear PSU's and this is lightyears ahead in natural, dynamic and open sound!
Not cheap, but good!

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
That’s good news.
I’ve a feels by that using the lt3045 module after the linear power supply will make quite a difference. It may be so profound that you might not need Sean Jacob’s. I’ve not done this so don’t know exactly. But they do make a big difference.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
The Silent Angel Forester F2 is an excellent option but I understand it may not be the right solution for all. It is on the more expensive side, but well made and offers two 12v rails and two 5v rails. The ability to have so many units powered by a single LPSU more than makes up for its cost due to only requiring a single power cable.

Currently, I use the F2 on my modem, router, and an optical converter.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
@Steve Rowan
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look at Sbooster, and HDPlex too.

@MarcelNL
Thanks for the Sean Jacobs recommendations. I understand they are quite good, but really expensive too.

@DSkip
Because of the four rails, the Silent Angel Forester F2 looks great. But I really only need two rails and so I'd be spending for two rails I'd never use. Thanks for stopping by.

**** I forgot to opine in the original post. I will need 2 DC leads. I'd be happy for any recommendations on those as well.

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
Have just bought a Plixir Elite BDC Dual LPS to power my router and a network switch.

Used this and some online reviews to decide

Reactions: MusicTraveler

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
the SJ modules are expensive, but I'll D^%$#d if there isn't a nice uptick in sound with the new linear PSU for the ourter and switch when compared to the previous LPSU...(Toroidy transformer, Lundah chokes, Mundorf 4 pole AG caps SJ DC3 vs a Chinese 250 euro 2 channel low noise LPSU)

Last edited:

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
I looked at Sbooster and seems that Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio is the dealer here in the US. $399

Also looked at HDPlex, but on their website it shows both the 300W and 500W are "sold out".

I took a look at the Farad and the Super3 looks like it could work with one of their Level 1 split cables so I could run the ONT and the Router with it. Not exactly inexpensive, but around $680 for LPS and split DC cable.

Keces has the P6, which is a dual (2) rail LPS for $550. Not sure if they sell the DC leads or not.

If any of you have any more info, please let me know.

The Plixir Elite BDC looks awesome, but is nearly 3X cost of the two I listed above. May be overkill for a router and ONT?

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
one issue with powering a router and switch from the same DC rail is that you're easily polluting the feed, from what I hear the point of overkill for router and switch is hard to reach..that is when budget allows....I'd sooner opt for two separate LPS units than one with a split cable.

Reactions: Thuan

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
one issue with powering a router and switch from the same DC rail is that you're easily polluting the feed, from what I hear the point of overkill for router and switch is hard to reach..that is when budget allows....I'd sooner opt for two separate LPS units than one with a split cable.
I really appreciate the feedback!

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
The other LPS I considered

Pura Dodo
PD Creative
Zero Zone 01-A
Quartz Acoustic

Reactions: agisthos

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Interesting thread, I was directed here by Pokey. I've been looking into this as well, and I've decided to start with the iFi DC iPurifier2 Active Audio Noise Filter/Conditioner for DC Power Supplies to power my AT&T Pace Router as it's only $129 and may well do the job. Actually, I've ordered two of them and will try the other one for the laptop-style SMPS that is powering my Akasa-cased Intel NUC (which I've named Alita, Batle Angel :p) that replaced my Mac Mini, and is now functioning as my Roon Core, That's assuming I have the correct DC barrel plug adapter I'll need to use it with for the SMPS that powers Alita (2.5/5.5mm). IIRC, the iFi has a 2.1/5.5mm DC barrel jack, so I'll need an adapter plug to connect the laptop power supply to it. Depending on how that works, I'll then consider obtaining LPS's for Alita and the AT&T Pace router. I may just go with the iFi Elite power supplies as they're small and I've read are very effective at making these types of devices very quiet.

Also, I'm not sure how much these devices will actually help with respect to my specific set-up, because Alita, EtherREGEN and the network router are all in a "remote server room", and I run LC/LC optical fiber out of EtherREGEN directly into the SFP cage into the back of my Lumin P1, so I don't even need Ethernet cables, Ethernet switches, network bridges, USB cables, power cables for the power supplies for the switches & network bridges, yada, yada, yada...just to connect to a DAC in the main audio rack. I just run optical straight into the back of the P1, and...job done! And...optical doesn't carry the high-source leakage current from all the upstream networking-based devices that creates all the noise, grunge, threshold jitter and timing errors that we deal with networking-based music "streaming".

The music server and networking devices in the remote server room are all powered by the new Shunyata Gemini combination power distributor and Altaira ground-plane noise reduction hub.

(BTW, I have another thread here documenting the Shunyata Gemini power distributor and grounding solution I'm using for the music server networking components, including EtherREGEN, my AfterDark Master Clock for ER, the AT&T Pace router and Alita. The link to the thread is here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...taira-ground-plane-noise-reduction-hub.36847/)

I'll add that adding a quality power distributor really makes for a notable improvement for these "network closet/remote server room" music server components, and reducing the considerable amounts of ground-plane noise on these devices (some which, e.g. the AT&T router, are REALLY dirty) using Altaira-type GP-NR functionality provides a significant improvement in the audio quality of my music server/streaming set-up.

Here's a photo of Gemini's rear panel showing the ground cable connections from Alita (from an unused USB port), from an unused RJ45 port on the Pace router, and EtherREGEN on the bottom row of ground terminals. These provide Altaira Chassis Ground hub noise-reduction functionality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superdad

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Okay....well, I was completely wrong in my hypothesis of how much the little iFi DC iPurifier2 Active Audio Noise Filter/Conditioner would work. They arrived today, and here is out of it's box; it's actually quite small, only a few inches long.

Here is installed between the SMPS that powers the Akasa NUC Roon Core, part of which can be seen in the lower part of the frame. EtherREGEN and it's AfterDark clock and power supply are at top. The USB cable at lower right is actually not a USB cable, but a Shunyata ground cable with a USB-A "tail" that goes from an unused USB-A port to Gemini's Altaira-type GP-NR system (as does the Alpha ground cable connected to EtherREGEN) referenced above.

So, I did a listen after installing the iFi DC iPurifier2, and um...that was not subtle. Sounds notably better: noticeably quieter, more body to instruments and vocals, and "weight" to the presentation. Bass has more power and definition, as well. Decay and the "space" the performance and recording was made in is "deeper" and more spacious-sounding. And, it's just gotten better and better as it settles from just having come off the logistics truck today. And, interestingly, it's actually louder in playback than before I installed it. More impressions to follow as it settles in, but I am already quite impressed with the improvement it provides.

If my new AC Adapter for the AT&T Pace router ever arrives today, I can connect the other DC iPurifier2 to that, and see what improvement that brings. Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Staying tuned!

Reactions: Puma Cat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing