LS5/9F Made a Splash at Montreal.

graham_LS5_9F.jpg

We were so impressed with the performance of the original LS5/9, that we asked Paul Graham to commission Derek Hughes to design a floor standing version with the mandate that the midrange clarity & magic be maintained.

Graham Audio were delighted to launch the new LS5/9f at the Montreal Show. Based on the award winning LS5/9 monitor, the floor-standing version has 5Hz more bass extension as well as more physical bass output. While the LS5/9 retails for $6,790 (without a stand), the floorstanding version is only $7,990 in the United States.

Stereophile Montreal Show Coverage. click to read

We ordered our own pair in a gloss ebony. We asked for a switch on the front panel (+1, 0 +2dB) for the treble to replace the original BBC's design of solder posts with -1, 0, +1db for the treble. Having the ability to increase the treble by 1dB was critical in getting great sound in a heavily damped hotel room in Montreal.

Reactions: bonzo75

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
View attachment 50258

We were so impressed with the performance of the original LS5/9, that we asked Paul Graham to commission Derek Hughes to design a floor standing version with the mandate that the midrange clarity & magic be maintained.

Graham Audio were delighted to launch the new LS5/9f at the Montreal Show. Based on the award winning LS5/9 monitor, the floor-standing version has 5Hz more bass extension as well as more physical bass output. While the LS5/9 retails for $6,790 (without a stand), the floorstanding version is only $7,990 in the United States.

Stereophile Montreal Show Coverage. click to read

We ordered our own pair in a gloss ebony. We asked for a switch on the front panel (+1, 0 +2dB) for the treble to replace the original BBC's design of solder posts with -1, 0, +1db for the treble. Having the ability to increase the treble by 1dB was critical in getting great sound in a heavily damped hotel room in Montreal.

Thanks for the post Philip
Do you know if they will be at the Munich show?

Yes Graham Audio will be exhibiting at Munich. They are launching two new models there - the LS3A (active version of the Swisstone LS3), and the LS5/5 - 3 way.

Last edited:

restock

Nov 12, 2016
Toronto, Canada
The Graham LS5/9f sounded beautiful with the Gryphon Diablo amps - very much enjoyed my visit to the room.

A small room with suitable sized speakers & electronics = v. enjoyable musical performance.
BTW, the production version of the LS5/9f will have a treble switch. The +1 dB on the tweeter was a life saver in that dead sounding hotel room.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
I received last week my LS5/9f pair in walnut. They have changed the design a bit. Smaller front grille and the plinths
are a bit more rounder looking. Very nice improvements I must say.
I was wondering about if spikes are preferred or other type of feet? I have a wooden parquet floor in oak so I had ISO acoustics
Gaia on my previous. For the moment I use these on my new speakers as well.
Any thoughts?

1641285335596.png

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Nice speakers - the BBC LS designs stall knock spots off so many newer designs. The best sound I heard at the Bristil Show a few years ago was from Harbeth 40.2 speakers - another traditional speaker based (I believe) on BBC designs. I much prefer the new grill and plinth compared with the image posted by the OP. It's odd that Graham's site still shows the earlier grill and plinth!

Personally I would stick with Gaia footers on your hardwood floors. I have them under my Avantgarde speakers after previously using the supplied spikes. My findings were a very slight reduction in bass VOLUME (easily adjusted and more than needed anyway) but a significant improvement in bass DETAIL and CLARITY. I had to go for Gaia Is but I guess you could use Gia IIs.

What amp are you using? I guess they will need plenty of grunt at 87 dB!

Well chosen - I'm sure they sound as good as you are hoping.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Nice speakers - the BBC LS designs stall knock spots off so many newer designs. The best sound I heard at the Bristil Show a few years ago was from Harbeth 40.2 speakers - another traditional speaker based (I believe) on BBC designs. I much prefer the new grill and plinth compared with the image posted by the OP. It's odd that Graham's site still shows the earlier grill and plinth!

Personally I would stick with Gaia footers on your hardwood floors. I have them under my Avantgarde speakers after previously using the supplied spikes. My findings were a very slight reduction in bass VOLUME (easily adjusted and more than needed anyway) but a significant improvement in bass DETAIL and CLARITY. I had to go for Gaia Is but I guess you could use Gia IIs.

What amp are you using? I guess they will need plenty of grunt at 87 dB!

Well chosen - I'm sure they sound as good as you are hoping.
Thank you, yes I think they look good too. After a week they still sound closed in but I hope they soon will start to open up.

nquery

Sep 9, 2016
Hi @Magnuska . Just wondering how you are getting on with the LS5/9f's??? That Walnut finish looks lighter and nicer than I thought it would.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Hi @Magnuska . Just wondering how you are getting on with the LS5/9f's??? That Walnut finish looks lighter and nicer than I thought it would.
Thank you, they`re getting on really well. They are run in now I guess and sounding very good. Yes I also think that finish looks nice. This speaker is all I wanted in a speaker. Try to listen to it if you can;)

Reactions: nquery

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing