Lumin S1 and Ashley digital processor

wil

Jul 22, 2015
My system's sole source is the Lumin S1 network player. I'm currently listening mostly to 44.1 khz, 16 bit streamed from Tidal.
The Lumin is capable of up to 192khz 24 bit PCM files and DSD 128, but I haven't listened to much higher res yet.

The signal from the Lumin then goes through the Ashley ne4400 digital processor for EQ. The Ashley's sample rate is maximum 96khz.

I've noticed some harshness in the mid/high frequencies. In trying to figure out the cause, I bypassed the Ashley and ran straight from the
Lumin and noticed the harshness to be somewhat smoothed.

So my question: Should it be expected that there could be some sq issues going through the Ashley vs going straight from the Lumin?
And are there expected issues whenever converting the Digital to Analog signal more than once as I'm doing through the Ashley?

If so, and if the harshness I hear sometimes when running through the Ashley, is better straight through the Lumin, then maybe I need to
reconsider the advantages of EQ-ing the room...

Thanks!

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
My system's sole source is the Lumin S1 network player. I'm currently listening mostly to 44.1 khz, 16 bit streamed from Tidal.
The Lumin is capable of up to 192khz 24 bit PCM files and DSD 128, but I haven't listened to much higher res yet.

The signal from the Lumin then goes through the Ashley ne4400 digital processor for EQ. The Ashley's sample rate is maximum 96khz.

I've noticed some harshness in the mid/high frequencies. In trying to figure out the cause, I bypassed the Ashley and ran straight from the
Lumin and noticed the harshness to be somewhat smoothed.

So my question: Should it be expected that there could be some sq issues going through the Ashley vs going straight from the Lumin?
And are there expected issues whenever converting the Digital to Analog signal more than once as I'm doing through the Ashley?

If so, and if the harshness I hear sometimes when running through the Ashley, is better straight through the Lumin, then maybe I need to
reconsider the advantages of EQ-ing the room...

Thanks!

i often use a digital equaliser
you need to be very careful in any additions in 400 to 1 kHz region
also relationship of midband to 2 to 5hz region
if ur just using to suppress room modes then treble now has more energy compared with mid bass

A

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing