Lumin U2 Mini

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have had one for 3 weeks and I am very impressed with the sound. I am using it in a 2nd system. It replaced a DIY server which cost me about $4500 to build and it sounded really good as well. Everything I have listened to has been enjoyable and musical. So far I am not missing my DIY.

Reactions: audio.bill

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Dear All has anyone heard the new Lumin U2 mini what do you think about the product sound
It’s oustanding. I went for the upgrade of an external power supply (there are kits with Sbooster or the Farad Super3 which I choose) and that furthermore was able to improve things.
So in that price range there is hardly any competitor around.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I've had one for about a month now. I like it a lot. I have a Holo May KTE dac and upgraded from the Stack Audio Link II with LPS. I use Roon exclusively. It improved on my Link II by having a lower noise floor, more filled out instruments and more analogue-like tonal richness, fuller and more tuneful bass. I'm not a fan of the app though, its really bare-bones.

I will say that so far the Mini has really improved with RFI/EMI tweaks and grounding more than I would have thought. The most surprising was adding a new Shakti Stone AIR on top. (This AIR version is significantly improved and very different sounding than the original. I didn't like the original with most components. It was like putting a blanket on the music, effecting dynamics and rolling off highs).

With the AIR there was even more lowered noise floor, expansion of soundstage in all directions, significantly more 'analogue' like tonal colors and clearer, cleaner highs. The difference was I think actually more than upgrading to the Mini itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rexp and jasond

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
So you are using the ROONONLY mode on the U2 Mini? Have to try this too.
When you say „RFI/EMI tweaks“ what did you do to improve things?

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Yes, Roon only for me because I use Roon for Speaker EQ.

I developed a lot of RFI/noise and grounding techniques when I was building music servers. I worked at developing one of the early servers that used many techniques that are common today. I don't share my secret sauce, but the AIR did more than my stuff did anyways lol. It was on sale for $175 here in US and a 30 day return policy . This made it too interesting to not give it a spin.

The bottom line though is that the Lumin, while it may sound good, is probably a fairly noisy design from a EMI/ground perspective. I think a nice LPS is probably a good idea if you can swing it.

I'm worried about the LPS mods causing problems when the electrical power goes off and on, which happens more than I would like at my location.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
How good is the SQ of the USB output of the U2 Mini?
Thx

Matt

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
How good is the SQ of the USB output of the U2 Mini?
Thx

Matt
I think it is very good, that is what I am using. Its definitely an improvement from my previous Link II. That streamer put a lot of work into making its USB output excellent, and the Lumin bettered it. However, USB cables matter with it, and the Lumin showed me that I have further to go to improve USB cables to get the best out of it. I've been working on some designs to upgrade my cables.

Reactions: matthias

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Does someone have experience with U2 Mini feeding and powering a pure USB DAC via the 5V USB Vbus only?
Thx

Matt

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I was lent a Sean Jacobs hybrid DC3/DC4 LPS to replace the stock Lumin U2 mini power supply. It has only been 3 days but I can already tell this is a major upgrade. There is a significant increase in clarity to the music as well as a decrease in noise. The power supply is not close to being broken in but it is clear this is going to be a big step up sound quality.

Reactions: JSA and matthias

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I was lent a Sean Jacobs hybrid DC3/DC4 LPS to replace the stock Lumin U2 mini power supply. It has only been 3 days but I can already tell this is a major upgrade. There is a significant increase in clarity to the music as well as a decrease in noise. The power supply is not close to being broken in but it is clear this is going to be a big step up sound quality.
Just for clarification:
I this a DIY solution or something you can order for U2 mini from SJ?
Thx

Matt

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Just for clarification:
I this a DIY solution or something you can order for U2 mini from SJ?
Thx

Matt

Well, really both. You can order a DC3/DC4 from Sean which meets the required specs but you have to either make or buy the required cable for the U2 mini.

Or, you can build your own which is what I have done in the past.

Reactions: matthias

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I have tried Lumin U2 mini with HDPlex LPS and I can confirm the same. This is a major upgrade in sound quality. Quite surprising, I must admit.
U2 mini with LPS is extremely good as a transport. For me additional advantage is that it can operate not only with Roon but also standalone. This is a major bonus (as a backup option) when Roon went for solely online setup (i.e. no connection to internet then no playing via roon).

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I also made the jump to an LPS with the U2. I used the Jays Audio/LHY one that has an internal add on capacitor/filtration bank that you buy extra made specifically for Lumin models.

Its been 3 days and pretty much instantly I am hearing a dramatic increase in detail, everything is just much more complex, strings, piano, vocals, bass. Such a huge difference to the internal SPS. Its a bit more dynamic, soundstage is more transparent, deeper, and wider. I don't think its fully broken in yet though, it is missing a bit of smoothness and liquidity, which I am sure will come in as the circuit breaks in. Very simple to install. Shipped from Singapore/China in less than a week.

Reactions: jasond

vert

Oct 26, 2015
Has anyone compared the LHY kit to the Audio sensibility mod?

The big advantage with the LHY is you don’t need to cut wires (if I understand correctly).

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
You do need to cut or desolder one wire on the IEC inlet for the LHY. I can't imagine any mod that doesn't require that though. I will say that it has taken longer then expected for the sound to equalize after the mod. I've got about 150 hours on it and it is still a bit bright at times (juries still out though sometimes this is a good thing that cures with more time).

Reactions: vert

vert

Oct 26, 2015
I've tried the Farad L2 copper (which connects directly to the motherboard) and Audio Sensibility silver plated copper mod (with a Mundorf DC cable) with the U1 mini.

They sound totally different.

So the DC cable/mod alone will tilt the sound.

Reactions: jasond

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I also made the jump to an LPS with the U2. I used the Jays Audio/LHY one that has an internal add on capacitor/filtration bank that you buy extra made specifically for Lumin models.

Its been 3 days and pretty much instantly I am hearing a dramatic increase in detail, everything is just much more complex, strings, piano, vocals, bass. Such a huge difference to the internal SPS. Its a bit more dynamic, soundstage is more transparent, deeper, and wider. I don't think its fully broken in yet though, it is missing a bit of smoothness and liquidity, which I am sure will come in as the circuit breaks in. Very simple to install. Shipped from Singapore/China in less than a week.

i've actually purchased the larger 80VA power supply. I found that everything was great with the 50VA, but I was not getting the deepest bass I was with the SMPS. With the 80VA the dynamics are a bit better, and the lowest bass has come back. Also the background sounds a bit blacker with a bit more resolution. I definitely think its a better fit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing