Lumin X1 After Market Umbilical cord

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Just another reference for folks regarding DC cables: Ghent Audio makes an excellent and affordable DC cables per the "JSSG" (John Swenson Shielding Guidelines) and they're affordable starting at around $75. They also come with excellent Oyaide DC barrel connectors, and I'm confident that Ghent can customize the termination required for connecting the Lumin X1 PSU.

Link to Ghent Audio: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html

I've found the Gotham GAC DC cables from Ghent Audio to be excellent, and I use one for connecting my Uptone EtherREGEN to it's power supply. Uptone also sells a "bespoke" DC cable for their JS-2 power supply that is made for them by Gotham Audio.

Davehg

Mar 25, 2023
PNW
I hope that helps. By the way, I am not using my 0.5 meter AS umbilical cord, which I bought from AS in January 2022, so if anyone wants to purchase it for $400, just send me a PM. It is in mint condition and fully broken in.
Hi @viola i sent you a PM if the X1 umbilical is still available.

Corinthian

Apr 10, 2023
I have an X1 and naturally I'm interested in getting the most out of what I think is a really great piece of kit. However, I have to admit to initial scepticism regarding the properties of an aftermarket power cable, mainly because of experiences with aftermarket linear PSUs that offered much but delivered nothing - specifically, MCRU PSUs and cables for a lower end Lumin. I don't mean this in a deliberately argumentative way, I'm just very curious. Can anyone help enlighten me as to why the aftermarket umbilical (which is just power?) might give real audible benefits?

For those who have changed the umbilical on their X1, being as honest as possible, did you hear any marked difference in sound? If so, what and can you describe it?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Just another reference for folks regarding DC cables: Ghent Audio makes an excellent and affordable DC cables per the "JSSG" (John Swenson Shielding Guidelines) and they're affordable starting at around $75. They also come with excellent Oyaide DC barrel connectors, and I'm confident that Ghent can customize the termination required for connecting the Lumin X1 PSU.

Link to Ghent Audio: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html

I've found the Gotham GAC DC cables from Ghent Audio to be excellent, and I use one for connecting my Uptone EtherREGEN to it's power supply. Uptone also sells a "bespoke" DC cable for their JS-2 power supply that is made for them by Gotham Audio.
Note that Westminster Labs (acknowledged as the best umbilical on this forum?) avoids metal shielding of any kind on their cables, believing that rather than shielding it attracts EMI/RFI and dumps it back into the cable. They only use passive carbon fiber shielding on their cables - scroll down to the section on "Shielding": https://www.westminsterlab.com/cables

Excerpt:

"....But in Westminster Lab's tests, as long as metal was being used, rather than rejecting, interferences were being absorbed and fed back to the system, although most of them are considered as “grounded”. These radio-wave changes to electricity and magnetic field and affects the whole system, harming the background darkness, sound staging, and dynamics. This finding is the same as in the mono amplifier....".

Last edited:

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Note that Westminster Labs (acknowledged as the best umbilical on this forum?) avoids metal shielding of any kind on their cables, believing that rather than shielding it attracts EMI/RFI and dumps it back into the cable. They only use passive carbon fiber shielding on their cables - scroll down to the section on "Shielding": https://www.westminsterlab.com/cables

Excerpt:

"....But in Westminster Lab's tests, as long as metal was being used, rather than rejecting, interferences were being absorbed and fed back to the system, although most of them are considered as “grounded”. These radio-wave changes to electricity and magnetic field and affects the whole system, harming the background darkness, sound staging, and dynamics. This finding is the same as in the mono amplifier....".
Useful info, thanks.

Just in the interests of scientific accuracy here: "radio waves", "electricity", and magnetic fields are all...exactly the same thing.

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
I did indeed find improvement in my system with the AS cable compared to the stock one. I found it so on the various sample rates and different music selections I tested, with some very noticeable, some far more subtle, and in some cases not a clear preference. Overall, I found it worthwhile for me. For my system, it is challenging to access and change any of my cabling with my X1, primarily due to the "roof" overhang at the rear over the cabling connections. With the DC cable I went with short length from Audio Sensibility, which increases the challenge of changing. That led to more downtime between comparing the cables, and possibly affecting my perception of sound quality between the two. I tested using the Lumin App, which for me is more transparent than Roon. I am not a Roon basher, and often use it, especially with different DACs due to ease and scope. I do not recall getting around to testing the stock vs AS DC cable with Roon--had enough of wrestling with the cable changes after testing with Lumin App.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I find it interesting how @ozzzy heard no difference, especially given his system. He had mentioned that there was a lean sound to it when he first hooked it up and then it settled.

My experience with the AS DC cable was the complete opposite. As soon as I hooked it up, I was immediately impressed. The weight of the music had more authority but at no expense to the texture or detail of the lower frequencies. In fact, those aspects got even more tighter/detailed. I did not notice any discernible change with the presentation, spatial locationality cues and the like, no change in tone when it came to the instruments but it did make the system sound more well rounded and pleasurable.

It wasn't a jaw dropping moment but most assuredly, it was a welcome moment and one that I have been enjoying.

I would comment on break in changes but will refrain, as I made other changes to the system shortly after initial install, so my observations would be skewed/altered because of the other changes made to the system.

That said, the Lumin's design with that overhang.....man, I don't think they could have made hooking things up more difficult than they did. What a PIA! The design of that overhang looks great from a visual standpoint but any attributes of the looks are severely thwarted when one goes to hook something up to it. At least they weren't dumb enough to put the power switch under the overhang!

In full disclosure, I do not have the Lumin X1. That's an all in one unit. What I have is the Lumin U1 but with the upgraded X1 power supply (UX1, as it stated on the box/invoice when I purchased it). The U1 is Lumin's top streamer that is not an all in one unit (does not have a built in DAC). The X1 PS I have is the same as is on the Lumin X1.

@Davehg
or anyone else looking for a AS X1 DC cable? I still have the one I purchased from @viola. It is available in the same condition/shape (which is mint) as when I first got it. I mistakenly thought that the U1 and X1 used the same cable to hook up the PS. They do not. Because the cables are so difficult to change out (because of said overhang), I did not verify before purchasing the cable and I read somewhere (bad info) that the cables were the same.

Anyhoo, when I went to hook the cable up? It was not compatible (10 pin -vs- 8 pin), therefore I never got a chance to hook it up. It's yours for $400 shipped to your door, within the continental US. Just PM me if you are interested.

Tom

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
speakerlust, treize3,

I guess after experiencing such audio sonic improvement with Puron filters, Fuse Box, SR Master& purple fuses, Townshend Podiums, and Critical Mass Footers the AS umbilical DC cable was unimpressive and negligible.

ozzy

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing