Lumin X1 ordered

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Placed the order today. Hopefully, it will arrive next week so I can play the heck out of it Friday and Saturday night. Can’t wait. This is my first new piece of gear since last year when I upgraded my preamp to the XP-22.

D76D84BE-864D-4A87-B3CD-A81BDE4119DC.png

http://luminmusic.com/lumin-x1.html

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Congrats Bud, I've heard only good things about the X1 streamer. It is a well sorted device & looks sleek. I like the monochrome blue display which is easy on the eyes, and reminiscent of the classic Audio Research fluoro green display. There are some really solid streamers on the market now, incl: streamer modules as options on high end cdp's & integrated amps. Though a separate streamer is always a nice thing.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, is the X1 an all in one streamer/server/renderer, Roon Core? Or does it still need a separate device connected to the Internet?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
For me the X1 is a file player. The files are either from ripped CDs or downloads from HDTracks. I think the X1 can stream, but I have no interest in that.

ngamountains

Apr 24, 2018
My understanding from conversations at AXPONA was that a separate server would still be required IF one wants to run Roon with a Lumin, to function as the Roon Core. Should one instead choose to use the Lumin app for control instead of Roon, perhaps in this case a Lumin becomes standalone answer for streaming, as well? From what I have read, the Lumin app is quite good, but I have never experienced it myself.

Enjoy the X1!

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
So, is the X1 an all in one streamer/server/renderer, Roon Core? Or does it still need a separate device connected to the Internet?

Marc - I am pretty sure that if all you want to do is stream from Tidal or Qobuz or Spotify then you just give it an internet connection and use your iPad to control using the Lumin app. Nothing else needed.

If you want to stream your own files (from ripped cd’s or ones you purchase) then you’ll need a NAS Drive as a minimum. Or if you want to use Roon interface then you’ll also need to run Roon Core somewhere on your network.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, Roon Core is the thing for me. That would mean Lumin, a switch and SonicTransporter i5 or Sonore MicroRendu. I have heard reports Lumin App is not v user friendly.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, Roon Core is the thing for me. That would mean Lumin, a switch and SonicTransporter i5 or Sonore MicroRendu. I have heard reports Lumin App is not v user friendly.[/

You don’t need either a SonicTransporter i5 or a Microrendu or a fancy switch to start.

FWIW - Roon isn’t a good tool at all for classical navigation btw.

Music *discovery* is also a feature of the Tidal and Qobuz software - it isn’t limited to Roon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing