Lumin X1

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Upgraded my S1 to the X1, and evaluating it now. It is a bit louder than the S1, and does appear to be clearer with a touch more detail. Let’s let it settle down, break in, and then make a final conclusion.

5B35CB4E-498E-4B2E-B0CE-EF8B9694A46C.jpeg

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Well, the research is done, and the data is unambiguous. The Lumin X1 is better than the S1. It is sharper, cleaner, and more musical than the S1. It just sounds better, much better.

However, make no mistake. The S1 is a fine piece of gear, especially since for the last 2-3 months I had an X1 power supply running my S1. That was an inexpensive upgrade that made a big improvement. However, the X1 is better.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Lumin X1 is with the new ideas from Angus, the boss/designer of Westminister Lab who had joined the Lumin design team more than a year ago.
https://www.westminsterlab.com/

Other than the X1, there will be other new products such as the coming Lumin poweramp ...etc.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
A slight digression but any thoughts on the lumin U1 and if you have compared it to other network streamers? I am on the lookout for alternatives to my Bryston BDP-2

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Sujay -

I owned a Bryston BDP-2. It was (is) a fine sounding digital music player. However, I was never pleased with the application user interface.

Several years ago, I decided to sell the BDP-2 and replaced it with the "all in one" Lumin S1. The S1 sounded better than the Bryston BDP-2 - ARC DAC 8 combination I had at the time.

Recently, I replaced the Lumin S1 with the new X1. As Bud mentioned above, the X1 is a fantastic "all in one" digital music player.

The U1 is a terrific streamer. The UI and support of file formats, Roon, Tidal and Qobuz is exceptional. However, I have not done a side by side comparison to the BDP2.

Lastly, the Lumin team maintains its products up to date with no additional cost to their customers. The ability to have access and support for Tidal, Qobuz, Roon, MQA, etc...has been provided by Lumin via software updates at no additional cost. While their user interface software is outstanding, whenever there has been a bug, the support team has quickly provided a software patch to address the problem.

Reactions: CKKeung and sujay

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is the X1 both Roon Core and Roon EndPoint? I don't want to have to be running a computer elsewhere on the system.

Reactions: sujay

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Lumin products do need either a computer in the home running Roon or a Roon Nucleus. Not a big deal as long as the computer is connected to the network. The operation between Roon and Lumin is quite seamless and super easy.

PS - While I have Roon setup, I mostly use the Lumin app.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Lumin products do need either a computer in the home running Roon or a Roon Nucleus. Not a big deal as long as the computer is connected to the network. The operation between Roon and Lumin is quite seamless and super easy.

Thanks, MJB, for your response. I have pulled the trigger on the U1 after reading extensively on lumin as a brand. The build quality and form factor seem to be very good. The fact that you prefer the lumin app over Roon is a real testimony to lumin’s.

THanks again!

Reactions: MJB

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks, MJB, for your response. I have pulled the trigger on the U1 after reading extensively on lumin as a brand. The build quality and form factor seem to be very good. The fact that you prefer the lumin app over Roon is a real testimony to lumin’s.

THanks again!

Congrats! The Lumin app is easier but Roon can be more informative and a bit more elegant. In any event, you have choices!

Reactions: sujay

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Congrats! The Lumin app is easier but Roon can be more informative and a bit more elegant. In any event, you have choices!
Yes indeed. I do like the upsampling function in Roon and the ability to continue to do that is good.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore

Hi, can I PM you please to understand a few aspects of how to use Roon in conjunction with the lumin?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
I use Roon with my Lumin, and much prefer it to the Lumin app. Not only is it much easier to build (and switch) playlists, but Roon provides multiple features way beyond anything the Lumin app offers. There are many Roon users (myself included) who are wildly enthusiastic. Using Roon with the Lumin is extremely simple and easy. And, the Lunin app is still there anytime you want.

I have the Nucleus+ which sits in another room, next to my router and NAS. I have installed a SSHD inside the Nucleus, so there is actually no need for the NAS, and there are no moving parts. Roon also gives me the ability to add other endpoints in addition to the Lumin.

Reactions: MRJAZZ and sujay

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
Well, the research is done, and the data is unambiguous. The Lumin X1 is better than the S1. It is sharper, cleaner, and more musical than the S1. It just sounds better, much better.

However, make no mistake. The S1 is a fine piece of gear, especially since for the last 2-3 months I had an X1 power supply running my S1. That was an inexpensive upgrade that made a big improvement. However, the X1 is better.

Glad that you love the X1 power supply upgrade. We X1 power supply was developed and tested on the X1, S1, U1, A1, T1. We make sure that it sounds fantastic on all of these units and it offer a easy and inexpensive upgrade for existing LUMIN user who aren't ready to upgrade to the X1 just yet.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing