Luxman 509X and DA-06

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
PS Audio and Teac / Esoteric also discontinued their SACD players too.

What's your source? Esoteric recently released a new SACD player with revised transport.

Glad I bought a D06-u.

luxman38

Oct 26, 2018
I use a Cambridge Audio BD-752 universal player. Both the Cambridge Audio player and the Bluesound Node are hooked up to a RME ADI-2 DAC. However my favorite source is my Luxman PD-171A TT. I sold my outboard phono as the Luxman internal phono was much better.

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Fountain Valley, California
I use a Cambridge Audio BD-752 universal player. Both the Cambridge Audio player and the Bluesound Node are hooked up to a RME ADI-2 DAC. However my favorite source is my Luxman PD-171A TT. I sold my outboard phono as the Luxman internal phono was much better.

Welcome Luxman38,

I know you have the Cl-38uSE. I believe you think very highly of it. Was wondering how its sounding so far after breakin. Also what amp are you using with it and how do you like the combination ?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
By mid September we should know more but after speaking to Jeff ( Luxman America) it's mostly concerning the news about their discontinued SACD players and of potential replacements. My guess is something to do with SACD laser lens. If you look around , PS Audio and Teac / Esoteric also discontinued their SACD players too. But the standalone DA-06 will still be their top model for this segment( standalone DAC). No current plans for change here.

Where do you see Esoteric discontinuing their SACD Players (other than those replaced by new evolved models)? Which models being discontinued?

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Where do you see Esoteric discontinuing their SACD Players (other than those replaced by new evolved models)? Which models being discontinued?

I never directly said Esoteric was discontinuing their SACD players. But these companies Luxman included either needed to redesign their SACD players due to supply issues with certain parts or come out with something else to replace them which for Luxman is to be determined. SACDs are still pretty popular in Japan so I doubt these are the last we've seen of them.

luxman38

Oct 26, 2018
Welcome Luxman38,

I know you have the Cl-38uSE. I believe you think very highly of it. Was wondering how its sounding so far after breakin. Also what amp are you using with it and how do you like the combination ?
I've had the 38se for over a year and a half. The sound is clear and dynamic. The top end detailed and not harsh. Really improved the sound of Tidal. Right now I'm using a Bluesound Node w/a RME ADI-2 DAC. My Cambridge Audio 752 BD player is also hooked up to the RME. I have a Bryston 2.5 SST2 amp and my Luxman PD171A uses the 38SE internal phono. It's extremely quiet as it has 4 SUT's 2 for MC high and 2 for MC low. The all tube phono wasn't an afterthought. I recently added 2 tweaks to my system a Butcher Block Acoustic platform to my TT and a set of Audience Conductor speaker cable for my Aerial 5T's. I heard a lot of tube preamps and Luxman could have sold this preamp for much more. Still as quiet as the day I bought it. Most of the press on Luxman goes to the Solid State side but the tube gear is also right up there.

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
I've had the 38se for over a year and a half. The sound is clear and dynamic. The top end detailed and not harsh. Really improved the sound of Tidal. Right now I'm using a Bluesound Node w/a RME ADI-2 DAC. My Cambridge Audio 752 BD player is also hooked up to the RME. I have a Bryston 2.5 SST2 amp and my Luxman PD171A uses the 38SE internal phono. It's extremely quiet as it has 4 SUT's 2 for MC high and 2 for MC low. The all tube phono wasn't an afterthought. I recently added 2 tweaks to my system a Butcher Block Acoustic platform to my TT and a set of Audience Conductor speaker cable for my Aerial 5T's. I heard a lot of tube preamps and Luxman could have sold this preamp for much more. Still as quiet as the day I bought it. Most of the press on Luxman goes to the Solid State side but the tube gear is also right up there.

Your passion and enthusiasm with this preamp combined with my audition a few days ago of this product along with the matching MQ-88uC has altered the landscape of my system. I'm on the verge ( already made deposit actually) of trading in my mint L509x for new set of MQ-88uC /CL-38uC and I can't be more excited.

I was able to demo this tube combo back and forth with the L509x in the same setting with Harbeths 30.2 40th Anniv. and the experience was pretty profound. I'm not sure if it was the Harbeths, the listening environment, or the CL-38uC but I've never heard more holographic and realistic soundstage and 3-Dish imaging from tube amp before. Tone and timbre were very true to life. Everything was there from slamming bass ( Harbeths really surprised here) to beautiful midrange to very detailed but smooth highs this tube amp lacked nothing. Having only owned and listen to triodes ( SET ) for the last several years I can say that this amp combo is right up there if not the best I've heard thus far. Having previously owned T. Mayer tube separates costing over 20k, I can say that this Luxman combo may be its equal if not better in some areas ( power for sure as this is push pull 25 watt triode amp). Its pretty special and I fully agree with you that Luxman tube products are way underrated and underappreciated. I believe this will now change as the word gets out and more people listen to them.

I audition with the 30.2s Harbeths because they have the same sensitivity and impedance as my Dynaudio Special 40s and the MQ-88uC was able to power it to a pretty loud level without any major distortion in a very large room. This was very convincing and let me know that 25 tube watts is all I'll ever need since I don't tend to listen crazy loud and my listening room is much smaller. Who would have thought that after all this that I would go back to tube separates with Luxman? Only a few months ago, I never even heard of them. Now they are the heart and soul of my system.

luxman38

Oct 26, 2018
Your passion and enthusiasm with this preamp combined with my audition a few days ago of this product along with the matching MQ-88uC has altered the landscape of my system. I'm on the verge ( already made deposit actually) of trading in my mint L509x for new set of MQ-88uC /CL-38uC and I can't be more excited.

I was able to demo this tube combo back and forth with the L509x in the same setting with Harbeths 30.2 40th Anniv. and the experience was pretty profound. I'm not sure if it was the Harbeths, the listening environment, or the CL-38uC but I've never heard more holographic and realistic soundstage and 3-Dish imaging from tube amp before. Tone and timbre were very true to life. Everything was there from slamming bass ( Harbeths really surprised here) to beautiful midrange to very detailed but smooth highs this tube amp lacked nothing. Having only owned and listen to triodes ( SET ) for the last several years I can say that this amp combo is right up there if not the best I've heard thus far. Having previously owned T. Mayer tube separates costing over 20k, I can say that this Luxman combo may be its equal if not better in some areas ( power for sure as this is push pull 25 watt triode amp). Its pretty special and I fully agree with you that Luxman tube products are way underrated and underappreciated. I believe this will now change as the word gets out and more people listen to them.

I audition with the 30.2s Harbeths because they have the same sensitivity and impedance as my Dynaudio Special 40s and the MQ-88uC was able to power it to a pretty loud level without any major distortion in a very large room. This was very convincing and let me know that 25 tube watts is all I'll ever need since I don't tend to listen crazy loud and my listening room is much smaller. Who would have thought that after all this that I would go back to tube separates with Luxman? Only a few months ago, I never even heard of them. Now they are the heart and soul of my system.
Congrats on the purchase! Should match up very nicely w/your Special 40's. The preamp runs rather cool. Not any warmer than most solid state units. you should get long life out of the tubes. In a recent Stereophile article on the new version of the Klipschorn Art Dudley tried 3 tube amps a 16K Air Tight tube amp, a Shindo amp and the MQ-88uC. The Luxman was the most dynamic of the three showing excellent detail. It was no surprise to me as my local dealer had the Luxman preamp and amp hooked up to Klipsch La Scala's. Luxman is pretty quick in delivery. When I bought the PD171A TT it came in 2 days. It was Triple Boxed. The way they box their merchandise it will be in good condition. Once the units break in give us your impressions. Have fun.

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Congrats on the purchase! Should match up very nicely w/your Special 40's. The preamp runs rather cool. Not any warmer than most solid state units. you should get long life out of the tubes. In a recent Stereophile article on the new version of the Klipschorn Art Dudley tried 3 tube amps a 16K Air Tight tube amp, a Shindo amp and the MQ-88uC. The Luxman was the most dynamic of the three showing excellent detail. It was no surprise to me as my local dealer had the Luxman preamp and amp hooked up to Klipsch La Scala's. Luxman is pretty quick in delivery. When I bought the PD171A TT it came in 2 days. It was Triple Boxed. The way they box their merchandise it will be in good condition. Once the units break in give us your impressions. Have fun.

Both units are already at my local dealer. Maybe another week. The slight delay is due to accomodations to help me get the L509x to him as this is the centerpiece of the trade. For the money, I can't imagine a better sounding tube combination in existence. I was amazed at the audition and to be honest, those Harbeths 30.2 will be next on my radar sooner or later. They are just magic with those Luxman units. I can see why Luxman dealers love to pair the two together whether solid state or tubes. I'll update my impressions after I have a few days with it.

Reactions: luxman38

luxman38

Oct 26, 2018
I'm curious if your going to use the balanced inputs. The SE doesn't have them. If you do; does it bring the sound to a higher level?

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
I'm curious if your going to use the balanced inputs. The SE doesn't have them. If you do; does it bring the sound to a higher level?

Balanced inputs are more important for digital such as DACs as they tend to sound better. For analog equipment I don't think it matters as much. Yes I intend to use balanced inputs with my DA-06. Also MQ-88uC has the individual speaker taps for 4, 8, 16 ohm speakers which are crucial for me as I find its much easier to lock in the right tone/sweet spot and maximize power of the corresponding speaker.

I stopped by the dealer yesterday to make sure to verify my feelings about this new combo and I may have been even more impressed. Towards the end the owner also let me listen to the CL38uC tube phono on some Norah Jones and it sounded great. For the deal that was struck and considering these are revered tube separates with great tube phonostage, I don't think I can ask for more for the money.

Last edited:

luxman38

Oct 26, 2018
Balanced inputs are more important for digital such as DACs as they tend to sound better. For analog equipment I don't think it matters as much. Yes I intend to use balanced inputs with my DA-06. Also MQ-88uC has the individual speaker taps for 4, 8, 16 ohm speakers which are crucial for me as I find its much easier to lock in the right tone/sweet spot and maximize power of the corresponding speaker.

I stopped by the dealer yesterday to make sure to verify my feelings about this new combo and I may have been even more impressed. Towards the end the owner also let me listen to the CL38uC tube phono on some Norah Jones and it sounded great. For the deal that was struck and considering these are revered tube separates with great tube phonostage, I don't think I can ask for more for the money.
The phono really sold me. When I demoed the 38 at home the first record I put down on my TT was Black Magic Woman. W/the CJ ET3-SE it always sounded flat. I blamed it on a poor pressing. W/the Luxman tube phono the music came alive. It took me about 30 seconds to determine I had to have this preamp. The phono comes w/4 SUT's. 2 for MC high and 2 for MC low. Works great w/my Dynavector 20xl2.

Reactions: SETDrugs

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Some say this Luxman L-509x is the best sounding in the whole Luxman line.. BIG BARGAIN !

luxman38

Oct 26, 2018
Some say this Luxman L-509x is the best sounding in the whole Luxman line.. BIG BARGAIN !
The 509x is a big favorite. And it can compete w/the more expensive gear. Also they have a lot of fans w/the the 590 which is a 30 wpc class A integrated. It gives out a bit warmer sound. Luxman has since taking over USA distribution lowered prices and have been aggressive in bringing new products to market. As an example the SQN-150 Tube integrated amp at $2750 and the PD-151 TT at around $4500. At the high end list they are rolling out their premium Tube Preamp the CL-1000 at just under 20K. It will also include a built in MM/MC phono. Looking to compete w/the high end Japanese tube preamps. Should be interesting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing