Luxman D-06U CDP

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I've had a difficult time trying to find a unit that sounds as good as my Cary 306 SACD player which still sounds great (to my ears) after 10.5 years. I previously auditioned the Esoteric K01 and the Dcs Puccini with clock and found them wanting in one way or the other.

The Luxman hits all my sonic priotities while being amazingly smooth, liquid and fully engaging without any apparent loss of detail. The transport is very well built and is, for all practical purposes, silent in operation. And I've only had the unit burning in for two days. I'm confident that it will continue to improve over time. Perhaps Philip can graciously provide input on the amount of break in time required (I use the Isotek disc) for the unit to reach the 100% level.

Suffice to say I am thrilled and my search for a new CDP is finally over. And given the price of the competition, I consider the asking price to be an extreme value. Needless to say, highly recommended.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
FWIW, the unit took about 400 hours of break in to finally "bloom". A definite keeper.

GreginNH

Nov 3, 2018
Congrats. The D-06u is a great performer.

Mannamachine

Feb 11, 2019
FWIW, the unit took about 400 hours of break in to finally "bloom". A definite keeper.
Thanks for posting this bit of info....I’ve just bought myself the D-08u and heard that Luxman gear took an awfully long time to fully open up...I’m at about 200 hrs just now, so at least half way..hopefully.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thanks for posting this bit of info....I’ve just bought myself the D-08u and heard that Luxman gear took an awfully long time to fully open up...I’m at about 200 hrs just now, so at least half way..hopefully.

This piece was consistent with my past "break in" gear experiences. Top and mids come first and finally mid / lower bass. The proverbial "clean window" analogy. Another example of most manufacturers not being "honest" about time required for break in.

Update. After spending numerous hours going back and forth between the Cary and the Lux, I'm reconsidering selling the Lux. Cary has more "energy" in the top / mid band area. Likely my ears and my age. I'm sure others would conducer the Cary "bright" and the Lux "just right". The Lux is clearly superior in the lower octaves. Almost scary with the right material.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
It took two months of extensive listening but I have decided to keep the Lux. I learned (relearned?) an important lesson. Don't let your previous biases have undue influence regarding "a different sound". After spending many more hours listening to the Lux since my last post, I am confident that I made the right choice. I simply hear more music and have a stronger listening emotional reaction with this CDP and have a potential buyer for the Cary. End of this saga for the dude.

Also, I'm sorry Philip is no longer in his previous position with Luxman. He really provided great info and insight into this fine product line. A loss for any Lux fan.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

Hi,

Curious as to how your unit sounds after 400 hours. Any major differences?

Luxman indeed make one of the best SACD transports available today. The D-06u while we were distributing was the best selling SACD player by volume. Clearly a good choice.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing