Luxman D10x USB Input

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
The optical set up was a breeze and quite inexpensive. The improvement in sound is startling! I heard it in the first few bars of music and my wife did likewise within minutes of coming into the room. And, as the old stories go, she did not know I had changed anything. The removal of background noise I did not know I had was the stand out improvement. Every instrument was truer. Each note stood out in its own space. Each brush stroke on a cymbal was wire touching brass. I have listened to Brubeck - Time Out since I was 7 years old (65 years!). It is my go to test disc. I have so many versions its silly. But I have never heard it like this. Even from my Classic Records 45rpm Quiex 4 album set. More listening to do but as an initial reaction, call me impressed.

Reactions: RnRmf

Sandeep2612

Apr 22, 2022
The optical set up was a breeze and quite inexpensive. The improvement in sound is startling! I heard it in the first few bars of music and my wife did likewise within minutes of coming into the room. And, as the old stories go, she did not know I had changed anything. The removal of background noise I did not know I had was the stand out improvement. Every instrument was truer. Each note stood out in its own space. Each brush stroke on a cymbal was wire touching brass. I have listened to Brubeck - Time Out since I was 7 years old (65 years!). It is my go to test disc. I have so many versions its silly. But I have never heard it like this. Even from my Classic Records 45rpm Quiex 4 album set. More listening to do but as an initial reaction, call me impressed.
Hi
I came across your thread, understand you have Lumin X1, Can u pls provide your experience with Lumin X1 with regards to it application and Sound Quality. I am looking two DAC Lumin X1 nd Mola Mola Tambaqui to add to my gears. thanks you.
rgds
Sandeep

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
Hi Sandeep.
No worries...I hope i can help.
I cannot compare the X1 to anything else as it is the first decent streamer I have owned. I will say that it surpassed all my expectations as regards SQ. Even straight out of the box it was a really good. It was simplicity itself to set up especially if you use Roon. I also set it up a stand alone streamer using the Lumin App. But I did not like the GUI at all so went back to Roon almost immediately.
I will however return to this subject soon. I want to investigate the difference between the 2 streaming options understanding that many think the Lumin app sounds better than Roon.
I am also awaiting a new Purist Audi Design USB cable so as to try the steaming section of the X1 into my Luxman D-10X DAC.
One big thing was tying the X1 to my router using an Optical SFP connection. WOW!!!!!! Not just a reduced noise floor. Everything just got more real. ...which in a system that is hardly a slouch was an amazing revelation.
Another plus to the Lumin is the excellent support from their engineer in the forums. Peter Lie is great and always available to answer questions.
The unit itself is "built" as you would expect at the price. It looks nice and so far works flawlessly.
So I am thrilled with my purchase. As much as, if not more than, any other component I have bought.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Aloha!
Ray.

DomA

Mar 29, 2022
Hi All
Does anyone know if the DAC in the Luxman 10x is NOS?
For context, was thinking if it would be worth feeding the coaxial input of the 10x with the Grimm MU1 coaxial output?
Has anyone tried this combination or maybe something similar?
I am trying to understand if the 10x will always upsample the input it receives. E.g. what happens when inputting a 176kHz signal.
Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Hi All
Does anyone know if the DAC in the Luxman 10x is NOS?
For context, was thinking if it would be worth feeding the coaxial input of the 10x with the Grimm MU1 coaxial output?
Has anyone tried this combination or maybe something similar?
I am trying to understand if the 10x will always upsample the input it receives. E.g. what happens when inputting a 176kHz signal.
Many thanks in advance.
Hello,

As far as i know, the D10x is NOS DAC.
However, using Coaxial for input will prevent you from some materials, such as DSD, also with a coaxial input your dac will be limited to formatted signals between 44.1 kHz and 192 kHz.

Reactions: DomA

DomA

Mar 29, 2022
Hello,

As far as i know, the D10x is NOS DAC.
However, using Coaxial for input will prevent you from some materials, such as DSD, also with a coaxial input your dac will be limited to formatted signals between 44.1 kHz and 192 kHz.
Thanks for the info.
The Grimm MU1 will take care of the other points you mention. Check it out, it's an amazing product going by the reviews out there. However, in my case all my material so far with 10 years worth of streaming is Red Book and PCM up to 192kHz. I do have SACD discs and plan to increase these for the D10x.
By the way, how are you getting on with the Luxman-D10x, still enjoying it?

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Thanks for the info.
The Grimm MU1 will take care of the other points you mention. Check it out, it's an amazing product going by the reviews out there. However, in my case all my material so far with 10 years worth of streaming is Red Book and PCM up to 192kHz. I do have SACD discs and plan to increase these for the D10x.
By the way, how are you getting on with the Luxman-D10x, still enjoying it?
Hi,

I heard the Grimm several times, outstanding unit to my humble opinion.
I still enjoy the luxman all ought most of my digital music this days are done with my MSB Premier DAC.

Reactions: DomA

DomA

Mar 29, 2022
Hi,

I heard the Grimm several times, outstanding unit to my humble opinion.
I still enjoy the luxman all ought most of my digital music this days are done with my MSB Premier DAC.
Thanks. Glad you enjoy the Luxman and good to know your thoughts on the Grimm.
I have the Luxman on order so really looking forward to playing my CD/SACD library through it. That's my main purpose for the unit. However, would be good to hook up a streamer at some point to utilise my library of Approx 1000 albums.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing