Luxman L-509X integrated amp

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any lowdown to be had on this amp which on the basis of reviews seems to possess all the right attributes for a neutral, communicative high end amp?

It even has back-lit meters and tone controls. How very "mid- to late-70's" vibe LOL.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I haven't heard the L-509X integrated, though I've had a long audition of the Luxman M-900u/C-900u and had the chance to a-b compare them to the Accuphase A-70/C-2850 combo. Firstly the Lux amps are beautifully built and made to last. They sound more neutral than Accuphase and have less dynamic contrast/shading. I also thought the bass sounded a bit more polite than Accuphase, but there's no doubt the Lux had good power. It is a resolving amp thanks to it's low noise floor & is easy to listen to. Overall I much preferred the Accuphase combo which sounded warmer, more intimate on vocals & had more authority and 'life'.

Getting back to your question, the Luxman integrateds are good value, and paired with warm sounding, reasonably efficient speakers could be just the ticket. Though I would also consider a genuine (non-grey market) 2nd hand Accuphase E-470 if one pops up for sale. The key with used Accphase gear is always check for providence. Grey market examples are a headache if the voltage isn't right for your country, or if you need warranty support.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
They are nice, but when you see one in the flesh, it isn't as nicely made as an M-800a. That said, it has a lot more complexity to deal with.

In fact, a 900u doesn't look as well made as an 800a. None of the current Luxman line up does. I verified that recently at Munich and Windsor.

Despite what Ked says, if you're going to buy a Luxman, find an 800a and run it with a tube preamp.

800a was Luxman saying we are back with loads of class A power. 900u didn't need to be so assertive and puts out way less class A. Still a good amp though, I have no doubt

Just my opinion.

That said, 509 is a very nice product.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
They are nice, but when you see one in the flesh, it isn't as nicely made as an M-800a. That said, it has a lot more complexity to deal with.

In fact, a 900u doesn't look as well made as an 800a. None of the current Luxman line up does. I verified that recently at Munich and Windsor.

Despite what Ked says, if you're going to buy a Luxman, find an 800a and run it with a tube preamp.

800a was Luxman saying we are back with loads of class A power. 900u didn't need to be so assertive and puts out way less class A. Still a good amp though, I have no doubt

Just my opinion.

That said, 509 is a very nice product.
Any lowdown to be had on this amp which on the basis of reviews seems to possess all the right attributes for a neutral, communicative high end amp?

It even has back-lit meters and tone controls. How very "mid- to late-70's" vibe LOL.

Also check out the Esoteric F 05.....10 K MSRP....impressive build quality and sound to match.....
Cheers....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Luxman Class A with Zu was a terrible match. Big, creamy mess on the 590 I had for home demo.
Keith, interesting. I was thinking more about pairing the Luxman w horns.

Why do you feel the synergy w Zus was poor?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I compared this with Vitus integrated at an Italian distributor's place. Over there, on horns, the Lux sounded better than the Vitus, and on modern Tannoy canterbury, the Vitus sounded better than the Lux. So no conclusion. It was a 3-way DIY horn with TAD drivers, pretty good. But then a Lux 590 sounded very good on Tannoy 15 inch golds, so difficult to say. I don't think horns and Zus need it though

Reactions: Klipschman70

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, this is just one alternative for a completely silent amp to run v high efficiency horns. I'm on my second lot of tube amps, and I've struggled to get deathly silent triodes, critical of I'm ever to consider horns.

And my best experience w horns was w SS, ie Bakoon 15W Class A.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
If the horns you’re planning to use are high efficiency, you could also consider low powered tube amps like Misho Myronov's 'woodenamps'. They are dead quiet & musical sounding. Also, they would be about 7200EUR for the pair (incl: premium NOS tubes), so a smashing bargain imho. Just search #woodenamp on FB.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Marc,

For horns, you'll want one of their tube amps/integrateds instead. The 509 would definitely not be my first choice on horns, even among SS.

alex

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep Mark, know them v well, w the Java LDR pre.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Yep Mark, know them v well, w the Java LDR pre.
Yes, I think it’s about time you heard my spare amps on your Zus and at least they will tell you how much volume/density to expect with a low powered amp in your huge loft. It may open up future possibilities for you to consider tube amps other than high power tubes.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ooh, I won't say no. I can see Ra roll her eyes as yet MORE gear goes up to the loft.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Why do you feel the synergy w Zus was poor?
Why would you of all people, pair horns with SS instead of SET?? :eek::rolleyes:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Why would you of all people, pair horns with SS instead of SET?? :eek::rolleyes:
I know a guy in Australia who has successfully paired his Avantgarde Trio Classico horns with Dartzeel amps & loves the sound. Dartz sounds a bit tube-like, so I could see that being a good match.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing