Luxman M-900u power cable choices?

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
I have been using a Shunyata Python Helix Alpha power cord on my M-900u up till now and was thinking of upgrading to the newer Alpha v2 NR. But a recent discussion with an acquaintance who owns a very expensive Soulution amp revealed that his top of the line Sigma NR cable made no difference over the stock item. He felt this was due to the very well engineered power supplies and noise filtering in the Solution amp.
So I will be pulling out the stock cord and doing some experimenting myself.
I wondered if anyone else has been playing with PC's and their M-900u and what they have heard.

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
I have been using an Elrod signature gold PC for my M900u. When it was first inserted into the system, everything became bigger and more alive. Better stage and more separation. My friend was here at the time and heard the change too.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I have two 900s bridged, powered with Triode Wire Labs Obsession power cables. I seriously considered Shunyata Omega XCs for them, contrary to the general QR cable recommendation. I have an XC on the Taiko Extreme and it is excellent.

But I recall reading somewhere in Luxman literature they didn't recommend going crazy on power cables for the 900s. I need to find that comment again.

For reference: everything is plugged into a TT7 for power. I have tried the amps into the wall (dedicated 10ga THHN in FMC) and into the TT7 and prefer the latter. Will be soon running a 6ga dedicated cable for everything. Power is king!

Reactions: Long Live Analog

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
Very interesting. Thanks guys. I used to have a fully independent power set up in our old home. Every major component had a separate line. I am down to one here:-(
@MarkusBarkus ...so why did you not use the XC on the Luxman? Other than the crazy price ;-)
Those Obsessions look interesting and a fair price too.

@JGlacken I have been reading about the Elrods and they sound intruiging...but a bit over my budget.

I am going to do more research into the power cord thing with Luxman.

Aloha!

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@mauidj I had one Obsession from something else, and I liked it, so I decided to buy another instead of two XCs (or Omega QRs or whatever they're calling them). Price delta was significant, as you know.

That said, I could do a couple of Shunyatas, but so far the TWL Obsessions sound excellent. I have a few TWL cables I like and Pete is A+ to deal with.

Reactions: mauidj

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
Thanks mate.
I will look into those. Have always used Shunyata but not set in stone.
But I think I will call my buddy at Luxman and see what he says about the power cord thing.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
Just got off the phone with my mate at Luxman and he told me to hold on buying high end cables for my M-900u. It appears that they internally ground their equipment so their cords are all 2 prong. Apparently this it nullifies a lot of the effects that a high end cable would bring to the table.
Luxman make a cable in Japan that is an upgrade to the stock unit. JPA15000. Unfortunately it is not UPC approved so cannot be sold here.
I have found them on eBay and will get one asap to try out.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...bingo! That is what I recall after reading your post. Maybe from JP or one of the Luxy guys. Thank you for taking time to close with Luxman, @mauidj

I know I had some method to my approach...I just couldn't recall the details. For those reading along and considering Luxman gear: the components look and perform beautifully. And the guys at Luxman American are excellent. Excellent.

Reactions: mauidj

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I have two 900s, they are bridged to operate as mono's, all my electronics (AMP, Pre, DAC, Streamer, Phono, TT) are connected with Cardas Clear PC.

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
my North American M-800a came with a JPA 15000 2 prong power cord. This performs just as well if not better than the
Shunyata, Purist and ESP cords I have tried along the way. I like it better plugged into my Torus isolation transformer than
directly into the wall.

btw, I found the stereo M-800a to sound better in my system than a pair of bridged monos...a little off topic and ymmv.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I've heard first hand in a friend's system and Elrod Statement Gold (5+ year old model) make a great difference.

I would imagine the later models of Elrod cords like Diamond, Master Series Gold and Master Series Diamond would also do incredibly well.

Shunyata Omega QR cords also do very well.

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
Nice one. Very strange it came with that cord. I am really keen in getting one to try out.
Thanks for the input!

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@mauidj did your Luxy pal mention how they handle the ground internally? I wonder if the ground on the IEC fixture is just not connected at all. Cheers...

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
I've heard first hand in a friend's system and Elrod Statement Gold (5+ year old model) make a great difference.

I would imagine the later models of Elrod cords like Diamond, Master Series Gold and Master Series Diamond would also do incredibly well.

Shunyata Omega QR cords also do very well.
I bet it is nice...but even if i could, I am not spending that kind of cash on cords ;-) I can't see (or hear) a decent enough ROI so, thats where I get off the train.
I would like to hear those Elrods one day just to discover why there is so much intrigue surrounding them.

Reactions: Pokey77

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
@mauidj did your Luxy pal mention how they handle the ground internally? I wonder if the ground on the IEC fixture is just not connected at all. Cheers...
They have internal grounding. The IEC ground is not connected. So I believe this is the reason that accessory cables do not give of their best when used with Luxman gear. It seems that the testing to get the 15000 cable through US regulations is incredibly expensive and Luxman Japan do not see a decent ROI for that product in this country. Fortunately they ate readily available on eBay.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I understand,....many years ago, while I could understand spending on digital and analog interconnects and speaker cables (after the initial learning experiences) I swore I would NEVER spend more than a couple hundred bucks on a power cord as they could not possibly make a difference. After all,....it's just electricity flowing through wire and all that.

Learning I was wrong has been a costly but good lesson :)

I'm not just speaking of Elrod power cords though I primarily use them and will continue. There are many others from Shunyata and other quality sources for the which the same costly lesson can be experienced :)

Reactions: Pokey77

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
I understand,....many years ago, while I could understand spending on digital and analog interconnects and speaker cables (after the initial learning experiences) I swore I would NEVER spend more than a couple hundred bucks on a power cord as they could not possibly make a difference. After all,....it's just electricity flowing through wire and all that.

Learning I was wrong has been a costly but good lesson :)

I'm not just speaking of Elrod power cords though I primarily use them and will continue. There are many others from Shunyata and other quality sources for the which the same costly lesson can be experienced :)
I completely get it. I still have fairly expensive power cords in my system, all Shunyata, but due to the grounding issue I am loath to over spend on cables for the Luxman gear. Waiting on those Luxman 15000 cables to arrive. Will be interesting to hear.

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
Well one cable arrived so i plugged it into My M900u.
Good sound overall. Nice tone and realism. Black background. All good...except....the sound stage collapsed.
And not in a minor way.
I will put it back in the system and do a full burn in. The guys at Luxman think it needs it before I cast judgment.
To be continued!

carlosnewidea

Jan 12, 2022
At least, a good quality pc should be used with the M900u, even if the ground isn’t connected to the amp chassis as some said. That amp (as others) work best with a heavy gauge cable and deserves the best the owner can afford. With the M900u I was using Audioquest Hurricane pc which elevated the amp performance compared to the stock pc. Later I tried a Shunyata Sigma NR V2 and the improvements was so amazing that I didn’t needed to go back and forth. Now I am using the same Shunyata pc with the M10x. However, having a dedicated AC line with heavy gauge wiring and good ground, is the first step for better sound, not power cords. Let my also add that the Luxman components don’t like the grounding connection from the Synergistic Research active grounding box SE as others components do, at least in my system. Luxman pre love triode wire labs pc, super 7 and the Obsession. In my system at least, the Hurricane pc doesn’t sound good on the pre. After try 3 other pc on the pre, the only one that sounds better was the same Sigma NR V2. Strange hobby, it isn’t?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing