Lyra Cartridges

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hello maybe off topic but still
have a Lyra Titan i that served my well for a few years.....suddenly a few weaks ago I got some funny fizzy sound i LCH and after a while no sound i LCH....thought it was my riaa and after tube rolling and arm assy/cart swap, I found it to be ok
some days later fizzy LCH sound again and it went dead and has been ever since
took the risk of measuring with a DMM across the outputs and both CH measures 5R6
how is this possible...wire off before coils?
worth fixing?
It´s nicely treated in Airtangent Reference with auto cue and lift ...
best
Leif

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
hello maybe off topic but still
have a Lyra Titan i that served my well for a few years.....suddenly a few weaks ago I got some funny fizzy sound i LCH and after a while no sound i LCH....thought it was my riaa and after tube rolling and arm assy/cart swap, I found it to be ok
some days later fizzy LCH sound again and it went dead and has been ever since
took the risk of measuring with a DMM across the outputs and both CH measures 5R6
how is this possible...wire off before coils?
worth fixing?
It´s nicely treated in Airtangent Reference with auto cue and lift ...
best
Leif
They may fix it for free. A wire off isn't a normal wear and tear thing usually. I'd send it in via your in country distributor/dealer...It also qualifies for a trade in credit as is to another model. I've owned a Skala and Atlas, Lyra makes great cartridges...

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
They may fix it for free. A wire off isn't a normal wear and tear thing usually. I'd send it in via your in country distributor/dealer...It also qualifies for a trade in credit as is to another model. I've owned a Skala and Atlas, Lyra makes great cartridges...
hi
thxs for good tip
I´ll certainly check
best
Leif

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
Re: set-up of Lyra Etna SL
I recently acquired a Lyra Etna SL and in the process of fine-tuning the installation. I wanted to know how other Lyra Etna SL (or other Lyra model) owners have set the VTA. I do not have a USB microscope. Do you set the top of the cartridge (or tonearm) level to the turntable as recommended in the instructions and adjust by ear from there? Do people typically have the back of the cartridge "down"? According to the specs, the "Vertical tracking angle: 20 degrees." What does the 20 degrees refer to?

FYI, I am using a VPI 12" 3D tonearm arm with the Etna SL and also have a Lyra Kleos on a 12.7 wand. Set-up tools: Dr. Feickert Protractor, Fozgometer and electronic stylus pressure gauge.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Hi there, my Lyra Etna is set with slightly tail up on my 12” 3D Fatboy

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
Thanks Vienna. Do you have your Etna on the gimbal or unipivot...just curious. Any difference?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Thanks Vienna. Do you have your Etna on the gimbal or unipivot...just curious. Any difference?

The Etna is way better match with the gimbal version. This combo provides killer bass and phenomenal sound articulation.

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
The Etna is way better match with the gimbal version. This combo provides killer bass and phenomenal sound articulation.
Vienna,
Thanks for that feedback. Unfortunately, if and when I upgrade to a Fatboy, it would most likely be a unipivot as I do like changing cartridges and having a single-arm table (TNT6/rim drive) would make it hard to do with the gimbal version. I would love to figure out how to add a second arm to my TNT like the clamp-on arm board on your Avenger .

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Hi lem321

The Etna will still shine on the unipivot, I had no complaint at all when I had it hooked on the uni, you will love it.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Lyra cartridges are designed to be parallel to the record.
Tail slightly down sounds a little more focused than tail up if you are not going to change vta for every different record height.

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
Lyra cartridges are designed to be parallel to the record.
Tail slightly down sounds a little more focused than tail up if you are not going to change vta for every different record height.

If tail slightly down sounds more focused, how does it compare to dead level (parallel) or tail slightly up? Not planning to change VTA for each record.

I know I should just listened myself but welcome the opinion of others with more experience and better ears!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
If tail slightly down sounds more focused, how does it compare to dead level (parallel) or tail slightly up? Not planning to change VTA for each record.

I know I should just listened myself but welcome the opinion of others with more experience and better ears!

Hi Lem. To clarify, level sounds best.

Up compared to down imo is slightly better down. Align accordingly and listen :)

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
Hi Lem. To clarify, level sounds best.

Up compared to down imo is slightly better down. Align accordingly and listen :)

Thanks XV-1. Appreciate your input!

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
I just completed the installation of my new Lyra Etna SL and couldn't believe the improvement in SQ after fine-tuning all the usual parameters. I used the Dr. Feickert Alignment gauge for overhang, the Fozgometer for azimuth and an digital stylus gauge for VTF. I set the VTA at parallel aligning the top of the cartridge with a bubble level (picture is of a Lyra Kleos). The key to the improvement was the "discovery" of a free magnification app on my iPhone that lets me see exactly where the stylus tip sits on the Dr. Feickert grid (don't have a USB microscope). Up until now, I've always eyeballed it and not very accurately at that. The app is called Magnifying Glass HD FYI and it allows one to take a picture at the same time. Another subject which has previously been discussed is that the actual VTF can vary widely depending on where the scale's platform is placed relative to the record/platter (i.e. higher or lower than the record). For my measurements, I used a common size record on the platter and placed the VTF gauge propped up with CDs/cards so that the gauge's platform is at exactly the same height as that of the record. Obviously this arrangement places the gauge above the plinth but right next to the record.
Cheers!

Etna VTA.jpg

Etna side view.jpg

Etna front view.jpg
Etna SL VTF.jpg

Last edited:

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Hello, I'm a new member, based in Bangkok, TH. I have/had a Lyra Etna SL, brand new. Had a terrible problem with static pops. My dealer, Woody, owner of Image Audio-Visual here in BKK, plus Gary Koh, of Genesis speakers and audio equipment, were both listening to this problem in my home and trying various fixes. Nothing worked. Couldn't stand listening to the cart due to the static pops. At the Bangkok Audio Show in August, 2019, I met with Matt from VPI, and explained the problem to him. He thought it might be in the turntable itself. Finally, Gary and Matt, from VPI, plus Woody, from Image Audio thought of the Etna's cantilever, which is 'diamond' or carbon coated boron. That may have been the source of the static. SO, tried a new VPI tonearm, 3-D printed, and a Lyra Kleos cart. The cantilever on the Kleos is boron, but no "diamond" coating. Bingo, no static pops. Woody, of Image Audio, called Stig at Lyra and explained the problem. Rare. First time in years and years they've encountered this. So the Etna SL is going back to Lyra for a check-up. Meanwhile, I'm trading it in for a Dynavector XV-1t, also recommended by Gary Koh and Woody at Image. Right now, I'm still listening to the Kleos, which is good, but no match for the magic of the Etna SL. Static pops, however, killed the Etna for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing