Lyra Etna, Miyajima Labs Madake or....?

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
This is yet another thread where there is a polarizing view on the Miyajima. I have had the Shilabe for a while when it was the top stereo model and I own the Zero now. The Zero is just amazing, case close. The Shilabe was a different story. Throughout the time I had it (played with it for almost two years before selling it), I felt it was a special cart but was always wanted a bit "more", a bit more high end, a bit more dynamic, a bit more speed etc. I listened to friends system with Shilabe and although the equipment is different, I did not hear the same traits. I am of the impression (purely speculative based on small sample size) that there is a variation from one cart to another with Miyajima. But with the Zero, it sounded great in my friends and it sounds great in mine.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Btw, where I heard the Madake he also had the Zero mono and I loved it

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
One cartridge i think can be very interesting at a good price is the Transfiguration Proteus.
I never listen but 2 my friends have.
One have a lot of cartridges,and also Koetsu Blue Lace,Dynavector XV1T,ART 1000,ecc,ecc and he prefer the Proteus and other friend with Audiotekne top Pre and phono with different good cartridges prefer the Proteus.
In Italy cost 4.500 euro and can be a good choice and now there is also the D with diamond cantilever that cost not a lot more than the normal,i am waiting the price from italian distributor.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One cartridge i think can be very interesting at a good price is the Transfiguration Proteus.
I never listen but 2 my friends have.
One have a lot of cartridges,and also Koetsu Blue Lace,Dynavector XV1T,ART 1000,ecc,ecc and he prefer the Proteus and other friend with Audiotekne top Pre and phono with different good cartridges prefer the Proteus.
In Italy cost 4.500 euro and can be a good choice and now there is also the D with diamond cantilever that cost not a lot more than the normal,i am waiting the price from italian distributor.

How does he like the art 1000 compared to the Proteus, he prefers the latter?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Not looking to hijack the thread, but I recently purchased a new Madake and experienced an issue with setting the anti skating.
I had it set up on my TW Raven 10.5, but even at the highest anti skating force, it still forced towards the center - which caused it to distort on complex passages.
Then, I moved it to my SME M2-12R, with an Ikeda headshell. Balanced it only with over 5gr (had to add a piece of blu-tak to the anti skate weight) of anti skating force.
Anyone experience something similar with a Miyajima cartridge?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Not looking to hijack the thread, but I recently purchased a new Madake and experienced an issue with setting the anti skating.
I had it set up on my TW Raven 10.5, but even at the highest anti skating force, it still forced towards the center - which caused it to distort on complex passages.
Then, I moved it to my SME M2-12R, with an Ikeda headshell. Balanced it only with over 5gr (had to add a piece of blu-tak to the anti skate weight) of anti skating force.

If the Madake miss tracks like that, I hate to think what it is doing to the vinyl!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK

That does sound excesive, how have you set the bias? Do you view cantilever from the front while playing an LP and look for twist when starting the platter? Also; how does it work with zero bias?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
That does sound excesive, how have you set the bias? Do you view cantilever from the front while playing an LP and look for twist when starting the platter? Also; how does it work with zero bias?
Used a HiFi-News Test LP on the non-grooved track, and saw the cartridge pulling towards the lp center.
Zero bias produces distortion on the right channel.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Ok, so at what point does the RC distortion clear when increasing the bias? I find the unmodulated method groove a bit misleading and prefer front on visual check if possible?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Ok, so at what point does the RC distortion clear when increasing the bias? I find the unmodulated method groove a bit misleading and prefer front on visual check if possible?
Only when I added the additional weight to the anti-skate weight - did it help (= over 5gr of anti-skate force).
There's still very little distortion on complex passages - but maybe this is some break-in phenomenon?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Try and view from the front when starting the platter and look for 'sideways flex' maybe with a magnifying glass, it's fiddly but it would be good to know whats going on, these carts are costly! I don't think break in should be this painful, how many hrs so far?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Try and view from the front when starting the platter and look for 'sideways flex' maybe with a magnifying glass, it's fiddly but it would be good to know whats going on, these carts are costly! I don't think break in should be this painful, how many hrs so far?
What is "sideways flex"? .Only a few hours in.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
You will see the cantilever shift when you start up the platter motor with the stylus on the record, if bias is out it will shift sideways a small amount. What arm are you using?

I use AT ART9 which is fairly compliant, with a SAEC 506/30 ULS3x headshell,which is high mass, so a conventional happy marriage and use 1.5gm of bias only, set by ear and sight from the front, but unmodulated groove provokes use of 3.5gm. With this setting there is faint break up of right channel on loud passages which led me to beleive that this method may not be optimal.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
You will see the cantilever shift when you start up the platter motor with the stylus on the record, if bias is out it will shift sideways a small amount. What arm are you using?

I use AT ART9 which is fairly compliant, with a SAEC 506/30 ULS3x headshell,which is high mass, so a conventional happy marriage and use 1.5gm of bias only, set by ear and sight from the front, but unmodulated groove provokes use of 3.5gm. With this setting there is faint break up of right channel on loud passages which led me to beleive that this method may not be optimal.
I'm currently using an SME M2-12R with an Ikeda headshell. I tried using the TW Raven 10.5 - but could not set the anti-skating to resolve the drift.
I'll try your method - and see what results I get. Thanks!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Best of luck, keep us posted..!

Re carts; How does the Allnic Puritas sit with the previously mentioned carts?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
DBL post for some reason..

But, back to the original question:

Re carts; How does the Allnic Puritas sit with the previously mentioned carts?

squasher

Apr 7, 2016
Question to those of you who are enjoying your Madake:

What are you using for a SUT or load values in your phono stage?

In my own system, I haven't gotten my Madake to sound anywhere near as good as my other cartridge, an Ortofon A90. I've tried a number of loading values and SUT's but may not have found a good fit for my system. Robin Wyatt, the Miyajima US distributor, has graciously agreed to loan me a Miyajima SUT as a test. I'm hoping that the solution may be as simple as finding the suitable match.

Last edited:

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Question to those of you who are enjoying your Madake:

What are you using for a SUT or load values in your phono stage?

In my own system, I haven't gotten my Madake to sound anywhere near as good as my other cartridge, an Ortofon A90. I've tried a number of loading values and SUT's but may not have found a good fit for my system. Robin Wyatt, the Miyajima US distributor, has graciously agreed to loan me a Miyajima SUT as a test. I'm hoping that the solution may be as simple as finding the suitable match.
I am getting excellent results with the Miyajima Madake and both my SUTs, a Lyra Erodion and an Airtight ATH 2. Both the A90 and the Madake have a similar output in the 0.2mVs hence it is unlikely to be a gain issue with your phonostage . It's best to try the Miyajima SUT.
I presume you have checked the cantilever and it is fine. The Miyajimas have a squidgy aluminium cantilever that can easily be damaged and not show it.
Let us know how you get along with the SUT

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I am slowly inching past the 40hr mark with the Etna SL. Time for an update. In one word, it's FLAWLESS (Pl add usual disclaimers about my system, my room, musical priorities and wax filled ears!). I am unable to find any fault with the Etna SL. It's neutral as neutral can be. Silky gossamer highs, pulsating and tuneful bass , supple yet enticing midrange. It simply lets the music through without imposing its own authorithy.
How does the Etna compare with the Etna SL ? Tough call as the operating parameters are different. I am getting way superior results with the Etna SL over the Etna. Between the Etna and the Atlas on the same TT, I preferred the Etna by a whisker. Between the Etna SL and the Atlas, again comparisons based on same TT with 2 Durand arms, the Etna SL is, IMHO the preferred cart and by a long margin.
I suspect it's the Etna SL and Lyra Erodion combo that responsible for the results I am getting and I still have some way to go for breakin.
The Madake has been neglected as the Etna SL has hogged playtime. It's a beautiful cart. Neutral - Wot dat ? It's voluptuous , enticing and I can't imagine 2 carts being more dissimilar
Hopefully, the 3rd cart should arrive soon as I hope to trade in the A95 for its elder sibling.
NJoy
Pradeep

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing