Lyra Etna, Miyajima Labs Madake or....?

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
I am slowly inching past the 40hr mark with the Etna SL. Time for an update. In one word, it's FLAWLES. ( Pl add usual disclaimers about my system, my room, musical priorities and wax filled ears!). I am unable to find any fault with the Etna SL. It's neutral as neutral can be. Silky gossamer highs, pulsating and tuneful bass , supple yet enticing midrange. It simply lets the music through without imposing its own authorithy.
How does the Etna compare with the Etna SL ? Tough call as the operating parameters are different. I am getting way superior results with the Etna SL over the Etna. Between the Etna and the Atlas on the same TT, I preferred the Etna by a whisker. Between the Etna SL and the Atlas, again comparisons based on same TT with 2 Durand arms, the Etna SL is, IMHO the preferred cart and by a long margin.
I suspect it's the Etna SL and Lyra Erodion combo that responsible for the results I am getting and I still have some way to go for breakin.
The Madake has been neglected as the Etna SL has hogged playtime. It's a beautiful cart. Neutral - Wot dat ? It's voluptuous , enticing and I can't imagine 2 carts being more dissimilar
Hopefully, the 3rd cart should arrive soon as I hope to trade in the A95 for its elder sibling.
NJoy
Pradeep

Hi Pradeep,

I agree with your assessment of the Etna SL. It's a superb cartridge and does outperform the Lyra Atlas (which I still have). I am not so sure it has that much to do with the phono stage but rather the cartridge itself. I am using the true dual mono CH Precision P1 and I get the same results as you are hearing.

Congrats on a superb cartridge.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Many thanks, Arnie
I am seriously intrigued by your CH Precision phonostage. If I were to ever upgrade my phono it would be a toss up between the D'Agostino Momentum and your Precision, with my preference for the CH as the Momentum has only a balanced XLR out
I will be in LA on vacation for a fortnight in June, unfortunately after the SHOW. Jfrech has suggested a visit to Austin. Would love to come but not sure if the schedule permits
Pradeep

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Many thanks, Arnie
I am seriously intrigued by your CH Precision phonostage. If I were to ever upgrade my phono it would be a toss up between the D'Agostino Momentum and your Precision, with my preference for the CH as the Momentum has only a balanced XLR out
I will be in LA on vacation for a fortnight in June, unfortunately after the SHOW. Jfrech has suggested a visit to Austin. Would love to come but not sure if the schedule permits
Pradeep

Hi Pradeep,

You are very welcome.

The CH Precision P1 phono stage in any of its configurations is superb. With the true dual mono version and 2 external X1 power supplies that I am using it is pretty amazing. If you can make it to Austin when you are on your trip it would be great to meet you and have you hear both John's and my system. Especially given your Aviors and 2 Rel G1's it would be interesting for you to hear the Arrakis with a REL G1 sixpack.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have P1 with X1 and i am very very happy.
I have Opus 1 and Coralstone diamond that i use in current and GFS i use in voltage at 400 ohm,so you can use everything.
I tried also Audiotekne cartridge that is 0,1 and in current is perfect,i left gain at +20 db,so not the maximum 25 db even with audiotekne at 0,1.
My friend has P1 with Atlas and the sound is fantastic.
You can use your Etna in current that others phono preamp cannot

Absolutly to try.

Dear Arnies,i am jealous of your P1 true dual mono,
congratulation,i am jocking
Do you have also L1?

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
I have P1 with X1 and i am very very happy.
I have Opus 1 and Coralstone diamond that i use in current and GFS i use in voltage at 400 ohm,so you can use everything.
I tried also Audiotekne cartridge that is 0,1 and in current is perfect,i left gain at +20 db,so not the maximum 25 db even with audiotekne at 0,1.
My friend has P1 with Atlas and the sound is fantastic.
You can use your Etna in current that others phono preamp cannot

Absolutly to try.

Dear Arnies,i am jealous of your P1 true dual mono,
congratulation,i am jocking
Do you have also L1?

Hi gian60,

I also have the true dual mono version of the CH L1 with 2 of the X1 power supplies as well.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Pradeep,

You are very welcome.

The CH Precision P1 phono stage in any of its configurations is superb. With the true dual mono version and 2 external X1 power supplies that I am using it is pretty amazing. If you can make it to Austin when you are on your trip it would be great to meet you and have you hear both John's and my system. Especially given your Aviors and 2 Rel G1's it would be interesting for you to hear the Arrakis with a REL G1 sixpack.
Arnie
A six pack REL G1 would seriously embarrass a B747.
This is a must hear along with the Olympos SL
Will try and persuade the wife to let me wander

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Arnie
A six pack REL G1 would seriously embarrass a B747.
This is a must hear along with the Olympos SL
Will try and persuade the wife to let me wander

Hi Pradeep,

Do your best to convince your wife!

You can hear the Olympos SL and the Etna SL and compare them. They are both mounted on my "Beat" table with identical Schroeder Linear Tracking tonearms using magnesium arm tubes.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Arnies,
you had more upgrade with P1 true mono or with L1 true mono,or same?
So if i decide to do P1 or L1 true mono do you suggest to do first L1 or P1?
Thanks

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Dear Arnies,
you had more upgrade with P1 true mono or with L1 true mono,or same?
So if i decide to do P1 or L1 true mono do you suggest to do first L1 or P1?
Thanks

Hi gian,

If your primary listening source is vinyl, than I would upgrade to the true dual mono P1 first. If you divide your listening between digital and vinyl, then I might upgrade the L1 to a true dual mono first. The step up in performance is a very large jump in either case.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Arnie and John
Sent you a PM
Pradeep

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Hello Pradeep. Benno a friend who designs for Gamut is the one who turned me on to the Miyajima Madake. This is his favorite cartridge. When I saw Benno at Axpona this year he recommended that I add weights to my arm between cartridge body and arm. He said you will thank me later. I installed two 3mm weights to my arm a total of 6 grams. This will change the resonant frequency of the arm by adding more mass. Pradeep, what a difference this makes, as I am getting the best sound I ever had in my system. This change has given much better transparency, opened up the soundstage, and the detail is now the best, where before it was good. I am now in the presence of a world class cartridge. My digital once again falls far behind. Michael Fremer was at my place a few months ago and loved my sound. I wish he were here now to witness this transformation. The best Jeff

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Jeff
Thank you for sharing. I have read that the Madake is happier with a heavier tonearm, as it should be given a recommended VTF of 2.5gm. What tonearm are you using with the Madake ? I am a very long way from a 100 hr breakin but to be honest I was getting superior results with the Ortofon 309D, a 12" arm with a traditional chrome arm as compared to the much more nimble Durand Talea2 which is a unipivot and a more sophisticated design. I will return to the Ortofon/Madake combo and try the additional weights. Where do you place the weights ? On the headshell or elsewhere ?
Pradeep

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Pradeep, I place the weights between the top of the cartridge and the bottom of the tonearm. You do not want to place the weights on top of the tonearm. The difference of sound is night and day. The best Jeff

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Jeff, the add on weights are a bit tricky as I have the Madake in a detachable headshell. I did ramp up the VTF from the recommended 2.5gm to 2.90gm and there are major improvements in every area. Gone is the residual syrupiness. It's got bite, attack and a deep and tuneful bass. An amazing cart at this price point
Pradeep

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Lyra Etna SL s/n 099 :)

36595955076_3e7f7491ca_h.jpg

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Congrats Shane. You are going to love this cart. IMHO, one of the best available today.
Welcome to the SL club
Pradeep

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow nice. How does it sound compared to the previous atlas

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi,
i saw you have Thales tonearm
Can you tell me something about and which other tonearm did you trial?
I am also interesting to buy in future
Thanks

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Congrats Shane. You are going to love this cart. IMHO, one of the best available today.
Welcome to the SL club
Pradeep

Thanks Pradeep. Honored to join such esteemed company as yourself. :) My Atlas has gone off to be rebuilt as an Atlas SL. I really could not live without my beloved Lyra sound for 3-6 months

Wow nice. How does it sound compared to the previous atlas

Hey Ked. too early for any real comments - seems to do do vocals even better than Atlas - definately same class

Hi,
i saw you have Thales tonearm
Can you tell me something about and which other tonearm did you trial?
I am also interesting to buy in future
Thanks

I love my Simplicity II. brings music to life with neutrality, purity and musicality. Tangential tracking advantages are real and audible. previous tonearm was Graham Phantom and easily better than that. My dealer has Kuzma and Thales - he said that Kuzma 4point has a larger more robust bass - Thales more neutral.

Lovely cartridge smooth detailed musical

Great combo with AF 1 and 3

Only heard with 4 point 12 which bringing out the detail very well

Great choice!

thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing