Lyra Etna, Miyajima Labs Madake or....?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Congratulations XV-1. I would love to hear this cartridge in a familiar system. Fantastic photograph also. Could you tell us what camera/lens and settings you used?

thanks Peter. I think you would love it. It has clarity with a little sweetness so far.

Samsung S8 phone :D I have used the Samsung S6 for the last two years. for any photo's that do not need zoom, the sammy phone's are unbeatable imo.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
thanks Peter. I think you would love it. It has clarity with a little sweetness so far.

Samsung S8 phone :D I have used the Samsung S6 for the last two years. for any photo's that do not need zoom, the sammy phone's are unbeatable imo.

Does it have Atlas speed and slam?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Does it have Atlas speed and slam?

I would probably say in absolute terms - no. Its more holographic.

I will know better after 30 hours vs the 3 it has now.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi,
i saw you have Thales tonearm
Can you tell me something about and which other tonearm did you trial?
I am also interesting to buy in future
Thanks

Hi Gian

go over to audioshark and read the Thales tonearm thread. Another couple of folks have heard the Thales tonearm and compared to other tonearms. Hearing a thales is buying one and that is what they are doing.

cheers

rossb

May 24, 2017
A question for those who own the Lyra Etna - does it share what I think of as the traditional Lyra traits of a tendency towards leanness, and a slightly exaggerated top end?

I have owned quite a few Lyra cartridges over the years, most recently a Delos and Kleos, both of which I ended up selling. I found them lean, forward and a little bright. In the case of the Kleos, also a little bland. The only Lyra which I have liked has been the Evole 99, which was much darker in tone and fuller sounding than any other Lyra I have heard.

I've been thinking about the Etna or Etna SL, based on the universally positive reviews. But I am still concerned about whether it will be too lean, and with too much treble emphasis for my tastes. Buying one is obviously an expensive gamble.

I'm also thinking about the A95, but have similar concerns, particularly as I found the Cadenza Black too bland and colourless.

For reference, my current cartridges are a VdH Black Beauty, a Kuzma CAR40, and I have previously owned a Benz Ruby Z and LPS, both of which I liked, although I prefer the VdH and Kuzma. The turntable is a Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, with 313 Ref VTA arm, and phono stage/preamp is an EAR 912, power amp an EAR 890 into Harbeth M30.1 speakers.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
From what you say I think you should try the Ortofon MC Anna. It is detailed and precise (more than say the Koetsu I previously owned) but with a beautiful midrange and treble. I think it could be the one you need. This cart seems to be more appreciated in Europe than in the USA. Don't know why.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
I would advise you to look at the company Sensitive Sound in the USA dealer,
it's really impressive!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
A question for those who own the Lyra Etna - does it share what I think of as the traditional Lyra traits of a tendency towards leanness, and a slightly exaggerated top end?

I have owned quite a few Lyra cartridges over the years, most recently a Delos and Kleos, both of which I ended up selling. I found them lean, forward and a little bright. In the case of the Kleos, also a little bland. The only Lyra which I have liked has been the Evole 99, which was much darker in tone and fuller sounding than any other Lyra I have heard.

I've been thinking about the Etna or Etna SL, based on the universally positive reviews. But I am still concerned about whether it will be too lean, and with too much treble emphasis for my tastes. Buying one is obviously an expensive gamble.

I'm also thinking about the A95, but have similar concerns, particularly as I found the Cadenza Black too bland and colourless.

For reference, my current cartridges are a VdH Black Beauty, a Kuzma CAR40, and I have previously owned a Benz Ruby Z and LPS, both of which I liked, although I prefer the VdH and Kuzma. The turntable is a Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, with 313 Ref VTA arm, and phono stage/preamp is an EAR 912, power amp an EAR 890 into Harbeth M30.1 speakers.

Ross. If you found the Kleos a little bright up top, stay away from Lyra. the delos has intended upper frequency lift but the Kleos imo is almost overly smooth up top and almost boring - Its the Lyra I least like.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Tried to search for it unsuccessfully, would you be so kind as to share a link or some additional contact information? TIA
Sending pm shortly

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA

Not to me but don't take my word for it. Read the M. Fremer Stereophile review. He says it does not share the typical Lyra house sound. "The Etna is one of the new breed of harmonically enriched, full-bodied, yet ultra-detailed and natural-sounding Lyras."

rossb

May 24, 2017
Thanks for the comments.

From what you say I think you should try the Ortofon MC Anna. It is detailed and precise (more than say the Koetsu I previously owned) but with a beautiful midrange and treble. I think it could be the one you need. This cart seems to be more appreciated in Europe than in the USA. Don't know why.

You may be right. From reading reviews it does sound like MC Anna is right up my street. But the price is just a bit beyond my personal pain threshold.

Ross. If you found the Kleos a little bright up top, stay away from Lyra. the delos has intended upper frequency lift but the Kleos imo is almost overly smooth up top and almost boring - Its the Lyra I least like.

If you're saying that the Etna refects the Lyra "house" sound - perhaps a much better version of the Kleos or Delos - then it really doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. Perhaps I should stick with my Black Beauty until I find an MC Anna at a reaosnable price. Or perhaps an XV-1S ...?

rossb

May 24, 2017
Not to me but don't take my word for it. Read the M. Fremer Stereophile review. He says it does not share the typical Lyra house sound. "The Etna is one of the new breed of harmonically enriched, full-bodied, yet ultra-detailed and natural-sounding Lyras."

I have read the review - quite a number of times since it was written. But I'm not sure I can rely on Fremer's reviews - from what I have deduced over the years, he does seem to prefer a brighter, leaner sound. So I have a suspicion "harmonically enriched, full-bodied" might mean something completely different to me, which is why I was interested in the views of those who own the Etna along with other cartridges. But I appreciate the response.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I have read the review - quite a number of times since it was written. But I'm not sure I can rely on Fremer's reviews - from what I have deduced over the years, he does seem to prefer a brighter, leaner sound. So I have a suspicion "harmonically enriched, full-bodied" might mean something completely different to me, which is why I was interested in the views of those who own the Etna along with other cartridges. But I appreciate the response.
Hi Rossb
I have the Etna SL and the MC Anna set up on the same table with 2 different model Durand tone arms. 75E61357-C55D-4564-BB23-0EC49BA943CF.jpg

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Barry
Good to hear from you
It came from Canada a few years back at around 2kg. For the life of me can’t recall the name. It does no harm to the sound and possibly does some good. TBH platter mats and record weights , IMO, make the smallest contribution to the vinyl chain though the Zanden mat on the TW platter is better than anything I have experienced.

rossb

May 24, 2017
Hi Rossb
I have the Etna SL and the MC Anna set up on the same table with 2 different model Durand tone arms. View attachment 36487

Very nice! How do the Etna SL and Anna compare?

I ended up buying the Etna SL. It is still running in and it is not yet dialled in. It sounds good, but has not yet knocked my socks off. At this point I still prefer my Kuzma CAR 40.

PA040202.jpg

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Very nice! How do the Etna SL and Anna compare?

I ended up buying the Etna SL. It is still running in and it is not yet dialled in. It sounds good, but has not yet knocked my socks off. At this point I still prefer my Kuzma CAR 40.

View attachment 36494

Ross, are you having any issues with the phono stage? I ask, as the Etna SL is a very low output cartridge and will, I suspect, tax most phono stages. The result could easily be less dynamics and resolution along with possible distortion as the gain is increased.
While noise may not appear into the picture, until very high gain is applied (mainly applicable with a ss phono stage vs. a tube unit), a less than great sound will be the result. Did you consider the regular Etna, it is a much higher output cartridge and shouldn’t stress most any phono stage.
I am considering the Etna, as it is an excellent cartridge and hard to beat. The Etna SL may be better in some instances, but as MF pointed out in his review, you had better have one heck of a phono stage...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing