M Pro vs M6?

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Has anyone compared The MPro to the M6? If so what were the sonic differences? I actually like the look of the MPro more and they can be had for less.

TLi

May 27, 2016
I had M Project for 3 years before switching to M6 2 years ago. M Project and M6 are very different sounding speakers but they share many characteristics of Magico signature sound. They includes high resolution and coherent sound.

People have different preferences of look but experienced audiophiles can easily tell M6 has warmer sound. M Project can be quite edgy at times, particularly when playing less than perfect recordings. M6 is a lot more forgiving and at the same refined. The difference in sound is mainly due to construction of the cabinet , aluminum vs carbon fibre. Both are great speakers that you cannot go wrong.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I have had both speakers also and can add to TLi's post above:

The MP is like a prototype vs. the M6 a finished product
The bases of the 2 are a huge difference. The 4 outriggers on the MP flex. The M6 base (3 points) is much firmer and integrated.
The M6 is "quieter" and much more dynamic at low listening levels. Subtle details are clearer on M6
M6 sounds like it is easier to drive.
Neither speaker resolves acoustic space really well, especially image height. M6 slightly better
Warm is not a word I would use to describe either speaker or the differences between the two.

Regards
K

Reactions: jeff1225

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
Ignoring the sound differences, the fit and finish of the M6 is the best I have seen. It seems to me they(Magico) have turned a corner. On line photos do not do them justice. My wife always complained “you can’t hear the difference why do you need new speakers?”. Once delivered, not a word. They are speaker art. Having said that, BONUS, “They Sound Great!”.
??

Reactions: HughP3

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have just recorded the Magico M6 driven by Totaldac electronics:

So what are we to glean from this recording? Sound quality?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello totaldac,

What arrangement did you use for the recording microphones? Are you using two mono microphones on a bar, or a single stereo mic?

Thank you.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hello totaldac,

What arrangement did you use for the recording microphones? Are you using two mono microphones on a bar, or a single stereo mic?

Thank you.
Hello Ron,
I am using two microphones on a bar as shown in this photo. They are installed exactly at the listening place.

recording.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting. Thank you very much.

That is exactly what I plan to do.

Are you using omnidirectional or cardioid microphones?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Interesting. Thank you very much.

That is exactly what I plan to do.

Are you using omnidirectional or cardioid microphones?

I am using omnidirectional microphones. Much more difficult to use (room acoustics) but it can give a better sound.
I give also recording of instruments in the same auditorium on this page http://www.totaldac.com/records-en.htm

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
But here is the right place to talk about the impedance matching box for M6. You can listen with and without in this video. Listen to the violin especially.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What recording device are you using to record the audio?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing