MA-1 Lumen Reduction for the Red/Yellow Lamps

Mrmb

Jun 30, 2014
Can anyone recommend a way to reduce the light output of my MA-1 Mk.3.3 factory installed Yellow and Red Lamps? I assume they could be replaced with lesser output lamps. But which ones would work/ be recommended?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ralph might know

Mrmb

Jun 30, 2014
Thanks Bonzo75, this is obviously a pretty basic aesthetics question vs a more important functional one. As such, it's NOT overly important that I get a quick response. Hence, I thought if others had used a different bulb or done something to ameliorate their light output, they may reply here -- and of course, if Ralph saw this, he may reply -- and by doing so may help others.

I must add that I have had many direct communications with Ralph Karsten before and after my MA-1 purchase and have found him to be most receptive and rapidly responsive. Ralph is indeed generous with his time and knowledge both directly and on forums such as this. My difficult-to-drive with aplomb Soundlab M1PX speakers, simply thrive on Ralph's (Atma-sphere) OTL power!

BTW Bonzo, I've enjoyed your posts. Until recently, we both owned Golden Gates and your posts about Lampizator in general and the GG specifically were appreciated.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
MrmB--I've had M-60s and have MA-1s.. I just remove the bulbs.. Ralph has told me that they drive the bulbs with as little Voltage as it takes to get them to start glowing, and there are no lower-power bulbs.. If I come up with something, I'll let you know.

Mrmb

Jun 30, 2014
Yup JeffreyBehr, removing the bulbs, or (as I thought before asking the question) covering them with something to reduce their output, would both be methods to do what I'm asking. However, I was hoping for a more elegant fix (light reduction method).

1kitch

Apr 22, 2014
I use 3894 Miniature Lamps as a replacement for the stock lamps to reduce the light output.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Two weeks ago I have my MA-1 checked by a reliable local tech. The issue were: 1. R channel red light is dimmer than the L. 2. R channel hummed and I had to tap the 1st and 2nd driver tubes to silence it. I consulted with Ralph and he is again, correct. The tube socket were too loose. As for the dimmer red light, just clean the bottom of the bulb. Now both channels have similar light ray. :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing