Madfloyd's System

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Wonderful Pics, thanks for letting us in . Here's wishing you many hours of listening bliss !

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
MF

Nice that you finally got it sorted out.
At a time very long ago I'm pretty sure I almost bought the house you are currently enjoying.

I wish you'd make a detailed follow up on your electrical issues.....

Are the Viero's really that good? Who's the dealer?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Ian,

The only change I can recommend bringing your vinyl playback to a new level is a tube phono stage. I would look at Allnic, Lamm, Doshi and ARC ref10 phono. The XP25 while good is no match for the realistic and holographic presentation of tube phono stages.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian,

The only change I can recommend bringing your vinyl playback to a new level is a tube phono stage. I would look at Allnic, Lamm, Doshi and ARC ref10 phono. The XP25 while good is no match for the realistic and holographic presentation of tube phono stages.

I do think about that. One thing that I would like to see improved is more holography in general. My soundstage isn't flat by any means, but I've heard many systems more holographic. I'm only afraid of losing transparency. I have thought about the Tenor phonostage, but that's mighty expensive and there's a waiting list...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have had the privilege to listen to Ian's system. It is the best that I have ever heard.

First, it is the one system that I have heard that is equally convincing both on large scale and on small scale music. I personally have minimonitors, which can portray small scale very well. Yet realistic large scale is more of an issue. On the other hand, usually the large speakers I have heard can throw a large soundstage on orchestral recordings, but lack the ability to portray small scale music, say, a string quartet, in a convincing manner. I have heard one large speaker elsewhere that was almost there, but not quite. Yet Ian's system can do it all: throw a large soundstage on orchestral music and portray the music with incredible energy as well (that energy is unique to large speakers), and on the other hand portray small-scale music just like the best minimonitors, with very intimate size -- yet without any exaggeration of pinpoint imaging -- and with appropriately toned-down energy. If there ever was an all-round system in that regard, this is it in my view. I am not saying there are not possibly other systems out there with similar qualities in this regard, but this is the only one that I have heard that can do it -- this ability to portray both large-scale and small-scale music equally convincingly, if it exists elsewhere, must be quite rare. Both micro- and macro-dynamics are fantastic: in chamber music there is very fine-graded dynamic agility, and orchestral music, while it also has that agility, is presented with enormous dynamic slam when asked for.

Second, orchestral music on some vinyl has such an incredible timbral richness and resolution in all orchestral sections, with stand-outs being the strings and brass, as I have never heard before from any system, not by a long shot. Yes, there is still a considerable gap between Ian's system and the timbres of a real orchestra, but that gap has been narrowed to an extent that is simply unbelievable. It is shocking. Now that I have experienced the difference with other systems (including mine, obviously) in this regard, it is very hard for me to see how other speaker designs can approach such timbral resolution and richness. That disappearing tweeter and the lightness and stiffness of the midrange driver in the Magico M Project, in an unbelievably coherent whole with each other and the bass drivers, all incapsulated in an highly non-resonant casing, seem to me the one technical way to achieve this. A little resonance of the cabinet, and all the timbral richness, which crucially depends on a filigree-like preservation of all those complex timbral harmonics and overtones, is bound to be degraded to some extent. This timbral richness goes far beyond any conceptions of warmth or 'golden glow' in the midrange, it is simply something else entirely. And in terms of midrange fullness, Ian's set-up now is absolutely impressive and spot-on. Obviously, the Pass amps have a big role to play in delivering all those goods, and they drive the M Projects effortlessly.

Chamber music on vinyl through Ian's system features the most naturally detailed solo violin sound that I have heard thus far. The last time, when he already had the Kronos turntable in his system, I was at first disappointed with chamber music: the sound was natural, but there was detail missing. Then it turned out that Ian had forgotten to switch back the Viero cable from a more ordinary one, and voilà, once he did the magic was all there. In fact, every time Ian switched another cable for a Viero, it was significant improvement, so I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment of the Viero cables.

Hearing vinyl through Ian's system, especially now with the Kronos turntable, makes me very partial towards vinyl -- and I say that even though I have an all-digital system. The resolution is just so phenomenal. Ian is searching for the ideal DAC, and last time I heard two DACs, the Playback Designs and the MSB Analog, but next to the Kronos table it will not be an easy task to find a DAC that matches the system. Good luck, Ian. And congratulations with your outstanding system!

Al, thanks for what I think is an excellent description of Ian's system. It is also the best system I have heard, and that includes some that are more expensive and in outrageously purpose built rooms. I do know of a few systems that do some things slightly better, but for overall accuracy, this system presents a sound that is closer to the sound of real instruments than any other I've heard. Al touches on the two areas where the system really excels for me, namely the accurate portrayal of scale, both large and small, and the incredibly natural portrayal of tone. The Magico M Project and Pass electronics chain are a superb match.

I have not had the pleasure of hearing the new Kronos turntable in Ian's system. One area that was not quite up to the best I've heard was that of resolution. I think the TW Akustics table with TriPlanar arm did not extract as much information from the grooves as is possible with better turntable/arm combinations. The information that the system from the preamp to the speakers did get was presented beautifully, with very little distortion or coloration, but I have always thought that more resolution from the source was a real potential area of improvement. The Kronos may also improve the sense of solidity and foundation to the music. I really look forward to hearing what the new front end brings to the system.

I have known Ian for perhaps five years now. And I have heard most of the equipment and different system iterations that he listed in the original post. This current configuration is by far the best to my ears. I think some of the past equipment suffered from less than optimal set up, improper matching and certainly the poor electrical delivery through those undersized transformers. Ian has changed equipment more than anyone I know. And Ian and his friends who have had the pleasure of hearing his system, have learned a lot from all of these different components and changes over the years.

I should add that I have really enjoyed getting to know Ian for his convivial personality, graciousness as a host, passion for the hobby and willingness to learn. Some forum readers have referred to his audio experience as a "journey". I would characterize it as more of a quest, and perhaps even as an odyssey. It seems to me to be a continuing search for what sounds best to him, but more importantly, what gives him the most pleasure in his incredible passion for the music. I am also most envious of the fact that his wife seems to share this passion and takes part in the quest. Boy does that seem to make things easier.

Congratulations, Ian. The current configuration of your system is outstanding and I am eager to hear the new turntable.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Congrats Ian

Superb system and no doubt the last thing to fall in place was the new Kronos table. Looks sensational as well.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Totally agree..... get Nick to send you one of his 3.0 phono stages. It's the Bee's Knees with a Coralstone!!

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Congrats on an exquisite system in a classy setting
NJoy

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats on an exquisite system in a classy setting
NJoy

Hey Sunnyboy1956...check out the Goldengate Arrives thread...i have used your name in vain as an [enviable] owner of the mighty Wavac 833 MkII. Our web host, Steve Williams, was asking 'what is that monster tube?'...and i guessed it was an 833...perhaps you could verify.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
MF

Nice that you finally got it sorted out.
At a time very long ago I'm pretty sure I almost bought the house you are currently enjoying.

I wish you'd make a detailed follow up on your electrical issues.....

Are the Viero's really that good? Who's the dealer?

..dangerous acronym :)

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
You have a fantastic system!

I have a question about room acoustics. How did you deal with the open layout (ie. no left wall) and large window between your Magicos? I have a large window on my left wall (about 120") and I've been looking for ways to increase absorption and diffusion.

McLennan

May 19, 2015
Frankfurt/Germany
Ian, not only a beautiful system and an impressive collection of records, but also a shared passion for Malt Whiskys. Last night I had a glass of Oban accompany Bill Evans Waltz for Debby, perfect match with Magico Speakers!

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
Hi Ian

What a great system you have (and single Malts)! Absolutely love your M Pros :)

Tommy

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Beautiful system you have assembled there

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
You have a fantastic system!

I have a question about room acoustics. How did you deal with the open layout (ie. no left wall) and large window between your Magicos? I have a large window on my left wall (about 120") and I've been looking for ways to increase absorption and diffusion.

I haven't found that the window does anything negative to the sound (as strange as that sounds). I found more benefit by adding absorption behind the listening position than in front of the windows.

As for the left side, it's not ideal because it creates a slight difference in tonality between the two speakers. I would think if you have a window along your left wall you'd want to consider drapes or some form of absorption as 1st reflections aren't good.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian, not only a beautiful system and an impressive collection of records, but also a shared passion for Malt Whiskys. Last night I had a glass of Oban accompany Bill Evans Waltz for Debby, perfect match with Magico Speakers!

Ahh, Bill Evans is often playing on my system as I wind down my day and often accompanied with a scotch or bourbon. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ahh, Bill Evans is often playing on my system as I wind down my day and often accompanied with a scotch or bourbon. :)

Goood callll....my favorite Bourbon is Sazerac Rye 18 year. My favorite Scotch? tough call...Springbank 21? Macallan 30? Yoichi 20? I have the first and third, and they are superb. Oh...and so is Bill Evans!

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
M-Project Available

Please PM me if you are interested in acquiring a brand new, uncrated pair of M-Project from authorized Magico dealer.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing