Magico A3s with either Pass INT-250 or Hegel 590?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Has anyone heard either of these together yet - that is, the A3s + Pass or A3s + Hegel?

I was - and still am - considering Mc + Martin Logan 11As. To my ears they sound good together. However, next weekend I have an opportunity to hear the above two systems.

I've heard Pass before and loved it, but never with a Magico. Hegel is new to me - but the reviews seem to be positive. This said, it's my ears and not the reviews that really matter, but reviews are still very helpful ...

While I understand the sound will be different (I doubt the Pass is as warm as the Mc and the Magico will sound different than the MLs for sure) any thoughts of what to expect would be appreciated ...

Thanks in advance.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Has anyone heard either of these together yet - that is, the A3s + Pass or A3s + Hegel?

I was - and still am - considering Mc + Martin Logan 11As. To my ears they sound good together. However, next weekend I have an opportunity to hear the above two systems.

I've heard Pass before and loved it, but never with a Magico. Hegel is new to me - but the reviews seem to be positive. This said, it's my ears and not the reviews that really matter, but reviews are still very helpful ...

While I understand the sound will be different (I doubt the Pass is as warm as the Mc and the Magico will sound different than the MLs for sure) any thoughts of what to expect would be appreciated ...

Thanks in advance.

Suncoast Audio has all these amps but likes Luxman L-509X best with their Magico A3's

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Audio_Karma,

Many thanks. This is very helpful.

I've been talking to Mike at Suncoast about Hegel, Luxman, Pass, and just sent an email regarding Bryston. I like Pass the best - and my wife likes it too - and she isn't to keen "now" on either Hegel or Luxman. So, I'm just trying to gather impressions from others as I make the decision.

I just found out last night from a neighbor (will be in 40 days) that a certain internet company in our area isn't delivering on its promised speeds to the new community we are moving into. Signal is freezing and giving the Streaming Circle of Death or SCD. So, I may not be able to use an Aurender A10 and have to go with a CD Player instead. So, Bryston might be in the mix now. I'm not sure I desire to do this. I like my Tidal ...

So, lots of things to consider ...

Thanks again.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I would expect the speaker/amp combo would also be room dependent

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
steve59,

Yes, I would agree. And I definitely don't have the best room. Many room enhancements will need to be made in 2020...

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Audio_Karma,
I just found out last night
from a neighbor (will be in 40 days) that a certain internet company in our area isn't delivering on its promised speeds to the new community we are moving into. Signal is freezing and giving the Streaming Circle of Death or SCD. So, I may not be able to use an Aurender A10 and have to go with a CD Player instead. So, Bryston might be in the mix now. I'm not sure I desire to do this. I like my Tidal ...

Let me suggest a Lumin X1 instead of streaming, or a CD player and DAC. Plus by eliminating the DAC, you also eliminate the interconnect cable, and the DAC power cord. Sounds fantastic with Pass amps and Magico speakers.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I did a long audition of the A3's with a Vitus RI-101 integrated & thought that was a perfect match in a medium size room. Vitus and Magico have always had good synergy, and the new RI-101 is much better than the previous RI-100. An additional benefit of the Vitus is that you can add an optional dac/streamer module done right later if you want to stream from a NAS or Tidal/Qobuz. In a smaller room, I preferred the Soulution 330 integrated with the A3's.

Re: Pass Labs and Luxman, I did a 3-way shootout a while back between Pass, Luxman & Accuphase separates and clearly preferred the Accuphase amps. Though Lux are better value in the States due to local pricing.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Vitus Audio just came out with a new amp that said to be the best solid state amp on the market...period!

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Let me suggest a Lumin X1 instead of streaming, or a CD player and DAC. Plus by eliminating the DAC, you also eliminate the interconnect cable, and the DAC power cord. Sounds fantastic with Pass amps and Magico speakers.

BlueFox Thank you. I will begin researching this today. Thanks again.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I did a long audition of the A3's with a Vitus RI-101 integrated & thought that was a perfect match in a medium size room. Vitus and Magico have always had good synergy, and the new RI-101 is much better than the previous RI-100. An additional benefit of the Vitus is that you can add an optional dac/streamer module done right later if you want to stream from a NAS or Tidal/Qobuz. In a smaller room, I preferred the Soulution 330 integrated with the A3's.

Re: Pass Labs and Luxman, I did a 3-way shootout a while back between Pass, Luxman & Accuphase separates and clearly preferred the Accuphase amps. Though Lux are better value in the States due to local pricing.

Bodhi thanks for this information. Though I've seen it written about before, I've never checked into or heard a Vitus. So, I have some more research to do. Thanks again.

Reactions: Bodhi

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The new Accuphase E800 comes on the market in a few months $21K

100 watts Class A

Thanks. But that's a little more than I was planning to put into one. I know someone who has a complete Accuphase rack system and it is absolutely amazing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing