Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
817LoXIODdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Bobvin and ALF

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Thank you and of course you are always welcome to visit. One my personal favorite things to do with audio is to have someone visit that I know from a forum and see them turn into real life. It's FUN!

All of the Magico S series and M series are VG speakers. There are hundreds and hundreds of people around the world that own and listen to Magico speakers every day. Of course, they are not for everyone, the same way with other top speakers.

The M series are special, no doubt about it. I happen to love the M2s. The M series cabinets, drivers, TWEETERs are all special. Although I own the M2s and think they are wonderful speakers it was my recent month long experience with the A5s that made me order M9s.

So, WHY was it the A5s that "showed me the way"?

In the natural technology development, explained in the "Why we do the things we do" explained in detail here
https://www.magicoaudio.com/news/qpml3rqd1prhpgedadyhhwm6j0fh9a it just so happened that there were a few technology advancements that were realized in a few of the speaker design areas, specifically in the driver, driver surrounds and crossovers areas that came about during the M9 development.

The A5 just happened to be the next speaker in line after the latest trickle down tech was available. A few of these trickle down items give the A5 a small glimpse into what might be in the M9s. In certain ways even more so than the M series products. NOT SAYING that the A5s are better speakers than the M series. The M series would certainly be preferred by most in comparisons with the A5s.

For me though I hear a midrange transparency and presence of notes, instruments and voices 5' or 10' beyond the back wall in the soundstage that are as clear and present as the main center image of a track.

Knowing that there is something very special in certain areas of the A5 performance was enough for me to guesstimate that the sonic presentation of the M9s is going to be something very special.

Sure it will have great bass and crazy good soundstage and layering, but a lot of other speakers do as well. I believe that the latest developments described clearly in the above mentioned link and fully realized in the M9s will bring the performers into the room with clarity and presence as never before. That happens to excite me and the excitement came from my recent experience with the A5s. It comes down to transparency, clarity, presence of every note heard on the soundstage. Each tiny or large note or instrument heard on the A5s is as clear and has the presence that I have not experienced prior.

Instead of a tiny sound way back in the soundstage, there is the presence of the full instrument and the harmonics coming off of that instrument. Of course you get that on the main instruments, but illusive percussion instrument specifically that often times just provide a "sound", now make it easy to discern what type of percussion instrument is being played in the recording.

That's the best I can give as an answer, it's actually difficult to articulate for me, but if you read the provided link about how Magico develops their drivers it makes sense that they didn't just "find a new driver" or new this or that. They have been working on the same areas for years, they've just recently "crossed the chasm" after years of work. imho Bravo to Alon and Company.

Hi Bob,

Glad you are well and your business is thriving.

Your comments on the A5 resonated with me:
“Instead of a tiny sound way back in the soundstage, there is the presence of the full instrument and the harmonics coming off of that instrument. Of course you get that on the main instruments, but illusive percussion instrument specifically that often times just provide a "sound", now make it easy to discern what type of percussion instrument is being played in the recording.”

I’ve found that this fuller more defined and fleshed out presence of even the smallest details have too been one element that has been a marker of an improved sound in my system.

As the noise floor improves, through either improved power or isolation, better components or acoustics for example, musical events that were displayed as shadows, become more detailed, with greater layers of relief, palpability and clarity, as the system performance improves. And which combines into a larger and immersive soundstage and musical experience.

Congratulations on the M9s. I can only imagine how much greater that effect will be with the M9s. Will have to make another pilgrimage to audio Mecca. It’s been a while.

Best regards

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Bob,

Glad you are well and your business is thriving.

Your comments on the A5 resonated with me:
“Instead of a tiny sound way back in the soundstage, there is the presence of the full instrument and the harmonics coming off of that instrument. Of course you get that on the main instruments, but illusive percussion instrument specifically that often times just provide a "sound", now make it easy to discern what type of percussion instrument is being played in the recording.”

I’ve found that this fuller more defined and fleshed out presence of even the smallest details have too been one element that has been a marker of an improved sound in my system.

As the noise floor improves, through either improved power or isolation, better components or acoustics for example, musical events that were displayed as shadows, become more detailed, with greater layers of relief, palpability and clarity, as the system performance improves. And which combines into a larger and immersive soundstage and musical experience.

Congratulations on the M9s. I’ll have to make another pilgrimage to audio Mecca. It’s been a while.

Best regards

Hi Carlos, Thx and it would be great to see you. I think it would be worth the trip once the M9s are installed, ALTHOUGH you can go out to Magico and hear them now as well:) Great trade-ins for Q7II's:)

Reactions: cmarin

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Hi Carlos, Thx and it would be great to see you. I think it would be worth the trip once the M9s are installed, ALTHOUGH you can go out to Magico and hear them now as well:) Great trade-ins for Q7II's:)

A trip would most definitely be worthwhile. You are blessed in countless ways my friend.

Afraid the Q7IIs ended up somewhere in Southeast Asia. Replaced by Lyras.

Please excuse the bother if this topic has already been addressed, but what amplification are you considering for the M9s?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
A trip would most definitely be worthwhile. You are blessed in countless ways my friend.

Afraid the Q7IIs ended up somewhere in Southeast Asia. Replaced by Lyras.

Please excuse the bother if this topic has already been addressed, but what amplification are you considering for the M9s?

I actually just remembered about the Lyras just a few minutes ago. Great speakers!

I'm all in with Pilium. Wil be using Pilium Elektra DAC>>>Alexander dual chassis pre>>>>four Hercules mono amps, all TelluriumQ Satement cables. A LOT of weight, the Hercules are 250lbs each X 4, what's another 1000lbs.

Of course the MXO analog Xover will between the Alexander and the Hercules amps.

Hercules mono amp X 4.

IMG_20200408_185243__01.jpg

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
I actually just remembered about the Lyras just a few minutes ago. Great speakers!

I'm all in with Pilium. Wil be using Pilium Elektra DAC>>>Alexander dual chassis pre>>>>four Hercules mono amps, all TelluriumQ Satement cables. A LOT of weight, the Hercules are 250lbs each X 4, what's another 1000lbs.

Of course the MXO analog Xover will between the Alexander and the Hercules amps.

Hercules mono amp X 4.

View attachment 67766
Grinning ear-to-ear Bob. Can only imagine what that combo will sound like! I’ll have to research Pilium.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
While we are all discussing M9s and A5s I've been selling and Instaling M2s and M3s. NYC dwellings even in extravagant quarters require "cramped" placement and must, out of necessity, share precious space in multi-use rooms.

Kids, spouses, pets and physical space dictate set ups. Even though cabinets and close to the wall placements is dictated and NOT negotiable, because of the sealed cabinet designs, Magico speakers sound amazingly good and light up the room with balanced sonic presentations in spite of the obstacles.

(I'm throwing in a commercial because I started the thread)

Recent Rhapsody installations of M2s (first pic) and M3s (second pic).

101767617_10222015926848272_1344628980476542976_o.jpg ff04eda5-e857-4e59-9ba0-e04541dd35fe-1.jpg

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Love the look of the M3. The three small woofers are clever for this size speaker in these types of rooms. I see a drum set next to those M2s. Must be a pretty nice NYC apartment to be able to have a drum set.

The M2 room is a 4 story townhome $30M+, which is the norm for 4-5 story Manhattan townhomes on certain streets. Hundreds of them. Actually more at the $50M+ price point on many on certain streets. (btw, all the people that live in these residences are somewhere else now:)

The listening room is in the basement, with a 20 guitar collection in a humidified glass see-through room, full drum set, 2 keyboards, a couple Conga drums. The room is used more as a recording studio, not professional, just playing around and then there is a a tv/stereo, but it's more about the music room.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have renovated many over the years homes in nyc. many are not occupied many months of the year. while maids may live there year round. I always got the impression it’s an investment. many times wonderful homes were gutted to become new again. Now I have no idea what will be , where ever they choose to live the virus is everywhere so it’s my guess what happens next.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have renovated many over the years homes in nyc. many are not occupied many months of the year. while maids may live there year round. I always got the impression it’s an investment. many times wonderful homes were gutted to become new again. Now I have no idea what will be , where ever they choose to live the virus is everywhere so it’s my guess what happens next.

You got it Al. I probably have 20 customers that have the type of townhomes described above. I think almost all of the owners have alternate residences or at least a house in the Hamptons. Many have a place in the Hamptons a home in Europe and then sometimes in CT or up in Maine.

When Covid hit pretty much every one of the customers that I have been in contact with recently, maybe 10 of the 20, have left the city to reside in one of their other residences. Some just went down to the islands somewhere and literally have not come back yet. Strange times.

Btw, even though the Virus is everywhere, NYC is a very strange place now and these affluent types would rather hold up in their Hamptons place or somewhere where they don't have to have daily contact with people as you do in the city.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The M2 room is a 4 story townhome $30M+, which is the norm for 4-5 story Manhattan townhomes on certain streets. Hundreds of them. Actually more at the $50M+ price point on many on certain streets. (btw, all the people that live in these residences are somewhere else now:)

The listening room is in the basement, with a 20 guitar collection in a humidified glass see-through room, full drum set, 2 keyboards, a couple Conga drums. The room is used more as a recording studio, not professional, just playing around and then there is a a tv/stereo, but it's more about the music room.

With all that space why doesn't the owner pull the speakers into the room a little bit (or a lot)?

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
With all that space why doesn't the owner pull the speakers into the room a little bit (or a lot)?

Where did you get "all that space"? The room is about 18' W X 15' deep. Then all of the things that I mentioned in the room. The speakers are actually now about two feet out from the back wall. The large couch sitting area is about 9' from the speakers and then there is a walk way behind the couch.

I would say that 70% of non-audiophiles that I sell to systems to especially in the city, but want a nice system to listen to music want the speakers back against the wall. Magico's sealed cabinets sound GREAT even pushed up against the back wall.

Ron, most people are not audiophiles. They are normal people and just want to hear great music in the room, but don't focus on it all like audiophiles do. They ARE music lovers.

Here is another pic of the room, we are still actually installing and moving things around. The M2s here are about 2' from the back wall. With the fixed listening position about 9' away this is as much as the speakers can come out into the room.

Most non-audiophiles set up their rooms to live in. They have many other hobbies and items in the room. They also share the rooms with their families. Some do have separate dedicated listening rooms, but in NYC that is rare, even in a $50M townhome.

They do NOT build their room or habits around listening to an audio system. They DO want nice speakers to use for their tv as well as listening to music. They have one place usually where their architect/designers say we need speakers for this space. It's the way it is in my world, especially for non-audiophile type customers.

20200604_102434.jpg

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I guess the fact that they chose CH precision speaks quite highly of their amps eh?

CH Precision are great amps and electronics. Magico has had many different amps at the factory.

Magico has routinely exhibited with CH Precision, Constellation, Soulution at all of the global shows.

In September I am sending out $250K worth of Pilium (DAC, Pre, 4 monos) to run on the M9s in the Magico showroom. Stay tuned.

I am going to run this Pilium set up with my M9s but the M9s will not be arriving at Rhapsody until Q1 of '21 so we are going to break the Pilium and TelluriumQ cabling in on the M9s that are currently at the factory.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Precisely
Where did you get "all that space"? The room is about 18' W X 15' deep. Then all of the things that I mentioned in the room. The speakers are actually now about two feet out from the back wall. The large couch sitting area is about 9' from the speakers and then there is a walk way behind the couch.

I would say that 70% of non-audiophiles that I sell to systems to especially in the city, but want a nice system to listen to music want the speakers back against the wall. Magico's sealed cabinets sound GREAT even pushed up against the back wall.

Ron, most people are not audiophiles. They are normal people and just want to hear great music in the room, but don't focus on it all like audiophiles do. They ARE music lovers.

Here is another pic of the room, we are still actually installing and moving things around. The M2s here are about 2' from the back wall. With the fixed listening position about 9' away this is as much as the speakers can come out into the room.

Most non-audiophiles set up their rooms to live in. They have many other hobbies and items in the room. They also share the rooms with their families. Some do have separate dedicated listening rooms, but in NYC that is rare, even in a $50M townhome.

They do NOT build their room or habits around listening to an audio system. They DO want nice speakers to use for their tv as well as listening to music. They have one place usually where their architect/designers say we need speakers for this space. It's the way it is in my world, especially for non-audiophile type customers.

View attachment 67854

Its all good , real world performance matters ..!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Wow ..!

CH Precision are great amps and electronics. Magico has had many different amps at the factory.

Magico has routinely exhibited with CH Precision, Constellation, Soulution at all of the global shows.

In September I am sending out $250K worth of Pilium (DAC, Pre, 4 monos) to run on the M9s in the Magico showroom. Stay tuned.

I am going to run this Pilium set up with my M9s but the M9s will not be arriving at Rhapsody until Q1 of '21 so we are going to break the Pilium and TelluriumQ cabling in on the M9s that are currently at the factory.

Wow ..! Can just imagine the results ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing