ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I'm sure it will sounds amazing. The trickle down of what Magico learned here will probably be in some more upcoming Magicos that hopefully cost a little less.

Reactions: CKKeung

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
And another $750K worth of amps to drive them. Too bad they didn't continue to refine the horn speaker for their top of the line.

Reactions: Folsom and KeithR

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
And another $750K worth of amps to drive them. Too bad they didn't continue to refine the horn speaker for their top of the line.

Excellent observation about further refinements to their horn Ultimate III. These M9s may be a fairly easy load. I bet your Lamms could probably drive them. ;)

Interesting that the binding posts look pretty high.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) These may be a fairly easy load. I bet your Lamms could probably drive them. ;)

Although the Magico literature referred to a version with a passive crossover, all the reports I remember reading on the Ultimae III used an active crossover with several amplifiers.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Although the Magico literature referred to a version with a passive crossover, all the reports I remember reading on the Ultimae III used an active crossover with several amplifiers.

I'm referring to the M9s being 94 dB and to Jeff's comment about needing super expensive amps to drive them. I edited my post for more clarity.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm referring to the M9s being 94 dB and to Jeff's comment about needing super expensive amps to drive them. I edited my post for more clarity.

Ok, but unless you have the detailed graph of impedance and phase of the M9 any guess is just lottery. The Q7 needed high power and was also rated at 94 dB/W. In general , a benign impedance is needed for low power tubes. Ralph Karsten of Atmasphere addressed this issue recently in another thread - https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/set-amp-owners-thread.27070/post-654311 . I would love if the Magico Q7's could be adequately driven by the Lamm ML3's but IMHO they can't.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks Micro. Sure it is just idle speculation Based on one specification. Jeff’s Lamm amps can handle more difficult loads then your ML3 I believe. My main point is that one does not need Super expensive amplifiers to drive these speakers. Even large Pass Labs class A amplifiers should be able to drive them For instance. Or do you disagree?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks Micro. Sure it is just idle speculation Based on one specification. Jeff’s Lamm amps can handle more difficult loads then your ML3 I believe. My main point is that one does not need Super expensive amplifiers to drive these speakers. Even large Pass Labs class A amplifiers should be able to drive them For instance. Or do you disagree?

Once we spend an insane amount in speakers we surely will want to take maximum profit of such choice. Although I have played with not super expensive amplifiers in the XLF, e.g. the Parasound JC1 or the Dartzeel integrated, once I put the Siegfried II , the Audio Research REF 750 or the Lamm ML3 in the system things happen very differently.

I think that the large Pass Labs class A amplifiers do not cost peanuts ;) , but have no serious experience with them.

Sorry I can't remember witch are Jeff's Lamm's - it would be great if people included their system in the WBF signature.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

Doubt you would be able to drive these with Lamm toobs. 4ohm nominal with that many drivers I’m thinking 1-2ohm for Z-Min

BTW, thats alot to pay for only one tweeter per side ..

:)

Reactions: K3RMIT and jeff1225

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I guess competition for the Wilson Master Chronosonic. I am sure two very different sounds but the adjustability of the Chronosonic is a huge plus IMHO.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
They look yummy.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
$750,000 is rare air.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

the Ultimates requiring Tri-amping and the whole shabang needing DSP for all inputs spelled a death knell for this direction. the market would never (did never) support it.

tri-amped horns are in the DIY arena only.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing