Magico Mini II

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Hey guys
Looking to acquire one of the speakers that I’ve had an eye on since I was finishing college.
Questions:
What’s the maintenance like on a 10 year old speaker? When do the caps need replacing and does Magico still have parts another 10 years from now?
With regards to 2 way speakers, has the tech really gotten that much better?
Thx

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I think your best bet would be to call Magico directly. I'm sure they will be happy to speak with you regarding parts, etc. Now asking if they will still have parts when the speaker is 20 years old might be a stretch.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
There are people on this forum using speakers that are 50+ years old, so there should be no issues with a 10 year old set.

I have never heard them, but they are reputed to be amongst the best mini monitors ever made.

I believe that @PeterA ran them for many years, so his opinion should count.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I owned these speakers for about seven years before I replaced them with the Q3. They sound great but they need a lot of power. I blew the mid/woofer twice by playing the music too loud. It was quite difficult to get it repaired. The first time it took four months because Magico did not have the drivers in stock and had to order a new batch from Israel.

I think the speaker was released in 2006 so it is 15 years old now. The M pro, which has been around for a while, was the 10th anniversary of the company measured by the release of the Mini which was basically their first commercial product.

I think it’s a good idea to contact them about service issues before you purchase them. If they have replacement drivers, the repair is quite straightforward. They’re very good sounding speakers and in my view are very attractive in any room.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Magico emailed back stating they have parts for service, I will inquire if they have drivers on hand or if they have to order. Thanks PeterA

Reactions: ecwl

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hello joey , caps / X over parts are of high quality with magico so the first 20 years you dont have to bother and probably longer then that
If you want to be sure just call / send and email to mundorf in koln germany
Magico gets its parts from there afaik
The down side of a regular 2 way speaker is that you only have a 6 or 7 inch membrane to move air with .
The danger is the unit has to play at its limits to get a satisfyingly SPL .
It then also operates at the limits of its lineair operating range and that can ( im not saying it does ) induce distortion .
If i hear peters story its kinda risky to buy an older mini .
Why not go for a V3 this likely is not stressed as much to achieve a certain SPL .
This will give you a bigger sound as well

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If I had a second system, I would love to have those Mini IIs back. They are a classic design and they sounded excellent. I think they cost under $10,000 used if you can find them. There are no Magico speakers that inexpensive and that good in my opinion.

I should also add that the guy who bought my Mini IIs is so pleased with them that he bought my old Q 3s for his other house.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The Mini2 would be my Magico of choice. Well done. I considered the Q1 but they just did not move me to a purchase.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
View attachment 89128
It’s a really nice speaker, I am using a boulder amplifier and I have it connected to JL audio F113V2 subwoofers, also I have it hooked up to a JL audio CR one cross over
Beautiful, congratulations. You should try it without the sub, the CR1 is robbing the soul of your playback, IMHO.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Beautiful, congratulations. You should try it without the sub, the CR1 is robbing the soul of your playback, IMHO.

I could never get subs to work well with the Minis. I tried a pair of JL Audio F110 and then also a single REL. The integration was never quite right and so it was a tradeoff between coherence and extension. I chose to abandon the subs.

Reactions: HenryD

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Interestingly, I havent had issue w sub integration. I cross it low since the Mini has ample bass.
I usually leave the Mini sans subs at night when I do late night listening (majority), but I've done some mid afternoon listening with subs on full tilt and it sounds superb.
I had BW 802D3 prior to this and I could hear the CR1 effects but with the Mini, it seems less audible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing