Magico MXO State of the Art Analog Crossover announced

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
HAYWARD, CA – December 2021 - Magico LLC, the Leader in High-Performance Loudspeaker Design and Manufacture, is pleased to announce that the state-of-the-art MXO analog active crossover originally conceived and designed for the M9 loudspeaker system (@ 120Hz fixed) will also be available with high/low pass filtering (@ 55Hz fixed). Implementing the same MXO platform, this purpose-built version will benefit end users worldwide who demand the ultimate performance in sub/main integration.

See full description here:

Attachments

• Magico MXO Active Analog Crossover.jpg
    Magico MXO Active Analog Crossover.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

caesar

May 30, 2010
HAYWARD, CA – December 2021 - Magico LLC, the Leader in High-Performance Loudspeaker Design and Manufacture, is pleased to announce that the state-of-the-art MXO analog active crossover originally conceived and designed for the M9 loudspeaker system (@ 120Hz fixed) will also be available with high/low pass filtering (@ 55Hz fixed). Implementing the same MXO platform, this purpose-built version will benefit end users worldwide who demand the ultimate performance in sub/main integration.

See full description here:

Analog? Is that a typo? Not digital?!?!

Why Analog?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Reactions: K3RMIT and Bobvin

caesar

May 30, 2010
Why do that, there are plenty digital options out there. An analog discreet active XO is rare these days (or any day).

Agree. But Analog is so un-Magico, from a brand promise perspective. :)

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Any pricing announced? Never mind - I see it’s $48,000 US. As much as my speakers and subs combined. Thinking of going with the JL Audio CR1, which is more in my burget range.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Any pricing announced? Never mind - I see it’s $48,000 US. As much as my speakers and subs combined. Thinking of going with the JL Audio CR1, which is more in my burget range.
I tried, but running the main through the CR1 sucked the life out of the sound (I also tried the Pass active XO - a bit better, but still...) . I eventfully gave up on the entire sub idea because of that.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Only 10 times the price of Wilsons analog crossover !:oops: Magico are the true Kings of overpricing !:rolleyes:

Reactions: adyc

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Only 10 times the price of Wilsons analog crossover !:oops: Magico are the true Kings of overpricing !:rolleyes:
I never heard the Wilsons, but if the CR1 indicates how 'economical' XO sound, I will pass... Unfortunately, I will also pass on the 'expensive' version, even if it sounds great :(

caesar

May 30, 2010
Interesting, why would you say that?
Magico brand promise has always been about using the "latest technologies", "newest, most exotic" materials, etc. When "Yoda" Valin reviewed their horn, being a Vinyl guy, he complained that everything was converted to digital. But looks like things are changing, and I find it interesting.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
@HenryD thank you so much for your insights on adding the JL and Pass. I thought this might be the case but was hoping the benefits outweighed the penalties. I run my TAD’s full range and just have the subs coming in mid 30’s. I suppose I’ll just live with it as is. I posted on the TAD forum here if using port plugs would be a solution (making my speakers a sealed design) but got no responses.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
@HenryD thank you so much for your insights on adding the JL and Pass. I thought this might be the case but was hoping the benefits outweighed the penalties. I run my TAD’s full range and just have the subs coming in mid 30’s. I suppose I’ll just live with it as is. I posted on the TAD forum here if using port plugs would be a solution (making my speakers a sealed design) but got no responses.
Here is the thing, once you XO the main, you do hear the benefits, and they are quite a few, unfortunately overall, the price you pay is too high, to my ears. Overall a frustrating experience. I can only imagine what a transparent XO can do, but I suspect it will not be cheap, it needs to be at least as s good as your preamp, and maybe better, not to screw things up.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My CR-1 will do just fine.... has been used on 100's of albums.

Great crossover, the damping factor feature is valuable. The input impedance (10 kohm per leg in balanced, 50 kohm SE) can be a problem with some tube preamplfiers.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Great crossover, the damping factor feature is valuable. The input impedance (10 kohm per leg in balanced, 50 kohm SE) can be a problem with some tube preamplfiers.
Interesting, this is the JL guts. Would you like to have your main speakers signal go through all these, I suspect not very expensive, op amps? Why bother with your very nice preamp?
CR-1-GUTS-OH.jpg

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The lack of phase adjustability makes it to limited for my taste.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
The lack of phase adjustability makes it to limited for my taste.
With JL Audio subs, phase is adjusted on the subs, so not needed

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing