Magico vs YG

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
These are the two main metal cabinent makers in hifi so wanted this thread to be focused on all comparisons between Magico and YG speakers. For those who have chosen one when considering both, what swayed you?

Interesting showdowns come to my mind:

A5/S3 mk2 vs Vantage
A3 vs Carmel 2
S5 mk2/M2 vs Hailey 2.2
S7 vs Sonja 2.2/2.3
M6 vs XV Jr

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
This should be entertaining! I will check back in later with a beer and a few snacks.

I am interested in the YG Carmel. I am waiting for the updated tweeter. I don’t know if it will happen. No rush for me as I am not in the market for some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdp632

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Tobias, Magico...as my auntie use to say, “Try it young man, I like it :)

vbw,
a

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Not much metal on the M6.....

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
These are the two main metal cabinent makers in hifi so wanted this thread to be focused on all comparisons between Magico and YG speakers. For those who have chosen one when considering both, what swayed you?

A5/S3 mk2 vs Vantage
A3 vs Carmel 2
S5 mk2/M2 vs Hailey 2.2
S7 vs Sonja 2.2/2.3
M6 vs XV Jr

What is your system now and what budget do you have?

There is quite a gap between an A3 and an M6.

Likewise a Carmel 2 and XV Jr

This should be entertaining! I will check back in later with a beer and a few snacks.

I am interested in the YG Carmel. I am waiting for the updated tweeter. I don’t know if it will happen. No rush for me as I am not in the market for some time.

+1

As a Carmel 2 owner. I feel the same way.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

A5/S3 mk2 vs Vantage
A3 vs Carmel 2
S5 mk2/M2 vs Hailey 2.2
S7 vs Sonja 2.2/2.3
M6 vs XV Jr
I preferred the Carmel 1s to the equivalent Magicos and my Kipod Signature passives also to the competing Magico models.
None of the later Magicos have changed my views.
IME the consistent vitues of the YG speakers, earlier and current, is their ability to deliver a neutral uncoloured sound .
As noted in an earlier post they deliver very accurately whatever sound the source(s) deliver to them.
Both the Carmels and the Kipods have experienced multiple upgrades to my system over a number of years. With the latter the most recent upgrade is a Vitus SIA 030 and prior to that an Etsuro Bordeaux and 1970s NOS tubes in my Magnum Dynalab 109T tuner.
The benefits of those and other upgrades were and are consistently portrayed by the YGs.

Reactions: Mdp632

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

A5/S3 mk2 vs Vantage
A3 vs Carmel 2
S5 mk2/M2 vs Hailey 2.2
S7 vs Sonja 2.2/2.3
M6 vs XV Jr
I’ve listened to the last two pairs quite a bit.
I prefer the Sonja 2.2 over the S7.
I prefer the M6 over the XV Jr.
The sides of the M6 cabinets are carbon fiber.
All are terrific speakers.

Ken

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
While auditioning for my last speaker I auditioned the Hailey and the Magico S5 MkII along with others like Wilson Alexia Mk II / Mk I, Evolution Acoustics MM3, Vandersteen 7 and the Vivid Giya. The top contenders were the Vandersteens and the Vivids, they both play effortlessly and present music incredibly cohesively (driver to driver) along with being incredibly neutral. Right after these two was the Magico S5 Mk II which sounded a bit warm but quite good. The Haileys reminded me very much of the sound I heard at RMAF some 5 years ago via earlier models - fast and dynamic but cold and overly analytical, just not for me. Having said all that, the Magico M3s are another animal and trump them all. The M series to me is the best of all worlds and I would love the M6 as my next speaker when I get my bigger 2 channel room in a few years (fingers crossed). YMMV.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I’ve listened to the last two pairs quite a bit.
I prefer the Sonja 2.2 over the S7.
I prefer the M6 over the XV Jr.
The sides of the M6 cabinets are carbon fiber.
All are terrific speakers.

Ken

Really interesting findings.

While auditioning for my last speaker I auditioned the Hailey and the Magico S5 MkII along with others like Wilson Alexia Mk II / Mk I, Evolution Acoustics MM3, Vandersteen 7 and the Vivid Giya. The top contenders were the Vandersteens and the Vivids, they both play effortlessly and present music incredibly cohesively (driver to driver) along with being incredibly neutral. Right after these two was the Magico S5 Mk II which sounded a bit warm but quite good. The Haileys reminded me very much of the sound I heard at RMAF some 5 years ago via earlier models - fast and dynamic but cold and overly analytical, just not for me. Having said all that, the Magico M3s are another animal and trump them all. The M series to me is the best of all worlds and I would love the M6 as my next speaker when I get my bigger 2 channel room in a few years (fingers crossed). YMMV.

I found the M2 more detailed and imaged better with a bigger soundstage than the S7 surprisingly!

M6 looks interesting for sure. I do wonder how the m project compares to the modern M series magicos.

Reactions: CKKeung

Stibi

Aug 22, 2021
I traded S5 MK1 for YG Anat III Professional Signature. At this time I also substantially upgraded my front end. Just a month later started to hugely miss the Magico sound. The YGs were much easier to listen with any kind of music, but by far less engaging to me. When I started to think about upgrading the speakers to Sonja 1.3 (drivers and crossover) and further upgrades of the electronics ( even tried some next level DACs) I just switched back to Magico and now again entirely happy. Matter of taste.

Last edited:

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I traded S5 MK1 for YG Anat III Professional Signature. At this time I also substantially upgraded my front end. Just a month later started to hugely miss the Magico sound. The YGs were much easier to listen with any kind of music, but by far less engaging to me. When I started to think about upgrading the speakers to Sonja 1.3 (drivers and crossover) and further upgrades of the electronics ( even tried some next level DACs) I just switched back to Magico and now again entirely happy. Matter of taste.
Interesting. I had an in-home demo of YG Sonja 2i and certainly heard why people could really like YG speakers.

Which Magicos did you get? How is your sound now different from your S5s?

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Really interesting findings.

I found the M2 more detailed and imaged better with a bigger soundstage than the S7 surprisingly!

M6 looks interesting for sure. I do wonder how the m project compares to the modern M series magicos.
I own both. When I demoed the M6 I thought … 10” to 10.5” woofers … here comes essentially the same speaker but more bass! But that’s not what I heard when I swapped the M6s into the same room. I actually heard a slightly more natural *midrange* which I attribute to the the carbon substructure (M Pro has an aluminum substructure). M6 tweeter is incredibly detailed but I can’t directly compare any more as my electronics moved on. I heard plenty of bass in my room with either speaker so I was never tempted to pair the M Pro with subwoofers, but in my theater the M Pro with REL 25 subwoofer is very lifelike and engaging. Movie concerts (Kaleidescape) sound particularly fantastic.

The S7 came out right after the M Pro so I’m guessing it also has an aluminum substructure? I just looked at Magico’s website and couldn’t tell. If so … since you find the M2 more detailed and better sounding I wonder if you’re hearing … or not hearing :) … the carbon fiber inner latticing of the M2. Which would mean you MIGHT like the M6 better.

You are always welcome to come over and listen! (Columbus, Ohio)
Greg

Stibi

Aug 22, 2021
Interesting. I had an in-home demo of YG Sonja 2i and certainly heard why people could really like YG speakers.

Which Magicos did you get? How is your sound now different from your S5s?
I was considering the S5 MK2, but then I went for Q7 as I got a very nice nice offer. Hard to compare to S5 as room and electronics are now different. The sound is better in every aspect, but most remarkably the midrange and bass, the latter one being more textured and tight. Something interesting to me was, that my MSB M204 monoblocks I used to enjoy with the S5 and the YGs and was considering very capable, were not able to deliver well with the Q7. It seems they are very demanding to amplification. Now with Pilium monoblocks they sound fantastic at any volume, even at very low one.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I was considering the S5 MK2, but then I went for Q7 as I got a very nice nice offer. Hard to compare to S5 as room and electronics are now different. The sound is better in every aspect, but most remarkably the midrange and bass, the latter one being more textured and tight. Something interesting to me was, that my MSB M204 monoblocks I used to enjoy with the S5 and the YGs and was considering very capable, were not able to deliver well with the Q7. It seems they are very demanding to amplification. Now with Pilium monoblocks they sound fantastic at any volume, even at very low one.
Congratulations on a excellent system.the Q7 are stunning speakers

Reactions: Stibi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing