Magnepan's Concept Speaker!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A radical advance over their existing models.

Am I just in a grumpy mood or is his left hand (seemingly operated by an out-of-view puppeteer) oddly distracting?

Reactions: Macattack

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Last edited:

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
The open question is how much will they cost?

The 30.7 sounded poor in 3/4ths of the road trip demos, and 2 years later how many dealers have sold even one pair?

The top Magnepans (30.7 and 20.7) are not even on demo at most all the dealers.

If Magnepan is to compete with Magico and Wilson, the dealers need demos in the stores!

Also the new swarm milti-subwoofer type of arrangement with a 3.7i or 20,7 may be as good, and much cheaper.

See: Audio Kinesis Debra 4-sub complete DBA system kit

http://www.audiokinesis.com

More appealing to frugal Magnepan buyers.

Last edited:

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Also the new swarm milti-subwoofer type of arrangement with a 3.7i or 20,7 may be as good, and much cheaper.

Thank you for the mention. Just for the record, my four-sub system is called the Swarm, and Jim Romeyn's is the one called the DEBRA.

I have every reason to believe Magnepan's dynamic dipolar woofer system is absolutely superb, whether in their "30.7 for condos" system or paired with any of their other models.

Reactions: josh358

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
The author of that video Steve Guttenberg Audiophiliac mentions in another video the $650 LRS by Magnapan.

The LRS (Little Ribbon Speaker) is also a quasi-ribbon speaker, with a demanding load.

Scaling that up I would imagine the demand loads are exponential.

And for the LRS they have an amp of their own according to this article dated Apr 14, 2019

So are we to ponder the Big Ribbon Speaker BRS will have an even bigger load and bigger custom amp?

https://www.magnepan.com/model_LRS

The new Hegel H90 really opens up these LRS's and makes them sing like never before! Could Hegel amps be the the best-kept-secret.. match with all Magnepan speakers ?..

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
The author of that video Steve Guttenberg Audiophiliac mentions in another video the $650 LRS by Magnapan.

The LRS (Little Ribbon Speaker) is also a quasi-ribbon speaker, with a demanding load.

Scaling that up I would imagine the demand loads are exponential.

And for the LRS they have an amp of their own according to this article dated Apr 14, 2019

So are we to ponder the Big Ribbon Speaker BRS will have an even bigger load and bigger custom amp?

https://www.magnepan.com/model_LRS
The larger Maggies are no less efficient than the LRS. If there's a difference, it's that they play *louder* without sounding distorted, so you'd likely want a bigger amp for that reason. On the other hand, the Mini 30.7 will come with a dedicated woofer amp, and that will take some load off the panels and the amp that drives them.

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
The open question is how much will they cost?

The 30.7 sounded poor in 3/4ths of the road trip demos, and 2 years later how many dealers have sold even one pair?

The top Magnepans (30.7 and 20.7) are not even on demo at most all the dealers.

If Magnepan is to compete with Magico and Wilson, the dealers need demos in the stores!

Those who have compared say a four sub swarm sounds as good as dipole bass. But it's really apples and oranges in this case, since the Maggie woofer is designed to be hidden -- this was designed to be the proverbial "wife-friendly Maggie." As always, different solutions will suit different needs!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing