Manley Steelhead vs. Allnic H3000

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ypsilon using the C3g Tubes?

Yes the VPS 100 has stock Siemens c3g, and a matching SUT for the cart.

Separately, Albert Porter's listening group rated Allnic H3000 1, ypsilon 2, and the IO eclipse 3 in those days where he owned the IO and before he took on Allnic dealership. His service is known to be excellent btw, so for someone in the US it is a great choice.

Personally though I like 3000 and 7000 I don't rate it 1, the DHT 5000 is a level up, and there are some other good phono stages. For phonos there is no need to crazy favor anything, just keep the poor ones or troublesome ones out.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Separately, Albert Porter's listening group rated Allnic H3000 1, ypsilon 2, and the IO eclipse 3 in those days where he owned the IO and before he took on Allnic dealership. His service is known to be excellent btw, so for someone in the US it is a great choice.

I don’t think Albert deals in Allnic anymore. Seems like he picked up Solution instead.

Reactions: bonzo75

davelarz

Jun 6, 2022
Westchester NY
I have compared the H7000 to the ypsilon with the Lyra atlas. I have compared the 3000 to Zesto and Trulife (25k euro). I had considerable exposure to Thoress in a familiar system, though did not compare them directly, but Montesquieu's compare at home ended with him buying the Allnic.

The Allnic was better than all except ypsilon. Compared to Ypsilon it was close with ypsilon having cleaner high and Allnic better body, weight, and involvement

I would say the 3000 is great value in the used market. It is better than many and you get back your money when you sell it. It is flexible as well.

With Allnic always remember to roll your rectifier otherwise it is rosy, sluggish. Rectifier change is key. Also if you buy used make sure there is no.9 hum and is working fine

I have compared the DHT 5000 to aesthetix IO eclipse as well
This is all great input, thank you. This really is the best forum on the internet to discuss phono preamps in this class.

I admit right now I'm leaning towards that most unlikely move of an audio gear junkie, which is... sticking with what I have. I like the Steelhead quite a bit, more than any other phono pre I've owned, significantly more than the ARC Ref 2SE which is probably the best I've heard to this point in my system (something about ARC preamps for me... they always impress the hell out of me at first and then after a while I find myself "impressed" but not engaged). At first I really didn't like the look of the Steelhead but I've gotten used to it and now even sort of like it just for how bizarre it is. I use the mono switch a lot (I have a Miyajima mono cart that I love but which has well-documented ground hum issues that are easily negated by summing channels) and that is a rare feature in phonos these days. I feel like it's probably true that the H3000 would be a step up from the Steelhead but my gut tells me it wouldn't be of the "wow" variety, and I'm only interested in "wow" if I'm going to go to the trouble of selling the Steelhead. I'm sick of flipping gear and this on-the-verge-of-a-recession market is starting to make moving pricey audio items a slog.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is all great input, thank you. This really is the best forum on the internet to discuss phono preamps in this class.

I admit right now I'm leaning towards that most unlikely move of an audio gear junkie, which is... sticking with what I have. I like the Steelhead quite a bit, more than any other phono pre I've owned, significantly more than the ARC Ref 2SE which is probably the best I've heard to this point in my system (something about ARC preamps for me... they always impress the hell out of me at first and then after a while I find myself "impressed" but not engaged). At first I really didn't like the look of the Steelhead but I've gotten used to it and now even sort of like it just for how bizarre it is. I use the mono switch a lot (I have a Miyajima mono cart that I love but which has well-documented ground hum issues that are easily negated by summing channels) and that is a rare feature in phonos these days. I feel like it's probably true that the H3000 would be a step up from the Steelhead but my gut tells me it wouldn't be of the "wow" variety, and I'm only interested in "wow" if I'm going to go to the trouble of selling the Steelhead. I'm sick of flipping gear and this on-the-verge-of-a-recession market is starting to make moving pricey audio items a slog.

Not spending more is always a good thing and I always support that, but that is always a personal decision.

Allnic has favorable mono reviews https://positive-feedback.com/Issue55/allnic.htm - search on mono - the V, i.e.3000V has the RIAA curve for old monos as well. There are also a lot of reviews on H3000v on audiobeat, with mono LP compares. Montesquieu also listens to a lot of monos and has the Miyajima mono with the miya SUT so you can get his feedback.

davelarz

Jun 6, 2022
Westchester NY
Not spending more is always a good thing and I always support that, but that is always a personal decision.

Allnic has favorable mono reviews https://positive-feedback.com/Issue55/allnic.htm - search on mono - the V, i.e.3000V has the RIAA curve for old monos as well. There are also a lot of reviews on H3000v on audiobeat, with mono LP compares. Montesquieu also listens to a lot of monos and has the Miyajima mono with the miya SUT so you can get his feedback.
The problem with the H3000 is the lack of a mono switch to sum channels. My Miyajima (Premium Mono Be) is very finicky, sometimes hums loudly, sometimes not, always unpredictable from one phono pre or SUT to another. But this hum always disappears with the use of a mono switch.

davelarz

Jun 6, 2022
Westchester NY
Not affiliated with this seller in any way but this CS Port just came up on US Audio Mart

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...gn=front-featured-ad-click&utm_term=649869963
There's another CS Port on USAM for $9500 which is within driving distance of me. But until that unit gets a rave review from an audio personality here it's going to be very difficult to sell it at that price. I am curious about it but don't want to buy it, find I'm not in love with it, and then be unable to move it. Comparatively the H3000 that was available used here was going for half that amount. And the H3000 (and Steelhead for that matter) are relatively easy to sell at those prices because of the plethora of good reviews. Reviews from the usual suspects really rule the market.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The problem with the H3000 is the lack of a mono switch to sum channels. My Miyajima (Premium Mono Be) is very finicky, sometimes hums loudly, sometimes not, always unpredictable from one phono pre or SUT to another. But this hum always disappears with the use of a mono switch.

Ask Montesquieu what he does. PM him.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
There's another CS Port on USAM for $9500 which is within driving distance of me. But until that unit gets a rave review from an audio personality here it's going to be very difficult to sell it at that price. I am curious about it but don't want to buy it, find I'm not in love with it, and then be unable to move it. Comparatively the H3000 that was available used here was going for half that amount. And the H3000 (and Steelhead for that matter) are relatively easy to sell at those prices because of the plethora of good reviews. Reviews from the usual suspects really rule the market.
i owned the Allnic H3000v phono 12 years ago, and recently owned the CS Port phono for over two years.

the CS Port in my system was very, very quiet, and a very solid performer. very nuanced and subtle. battery powered, with 3 inputs, it worked great in my system as a stand alone phono on it's single MC input, but when i used it with EMIA SUT's it took a significant leap in performance. i replaced it with a $40k EMIA 'silver' phono corrector with dual power supplies. more than twice the retail price of the CS Port.

my recollection of the Allnic was i could never get it to be that quiet....in my system. overall preferred my Mk1 dart pre phono at the time.

i hope that helps.

davelarz

Jun 6, 2022
Westchester NY
i owned the Allnic H3000v phono 12 years ago, and recently owned the CS Port phono for over two years.

the CS Port in my system was very, very quiet, and a very solid performer. very nuanced and subtle. battery powered, with 3 inputs, it worked great in my system as a stand alone phono on it's single MC input, but when i used it with EMIA SUT's it took a significant leap in performance. i replaced it with a $40k EMIA 'silver' phono corrector with dual power supplies. more than twice the retail price of the CS Port.

my recollection of the Allnic was i could never get it to be that quiet....in my system. overall preferred my Mk1 dart pre phono at the time.

i hope that helps.
It definitely helps - it keeps me moving in the direction that I'm going to pass on the h3000 even though I'm sure it's good and probably even think it is a step up from the Steelhead. I just doubt it will be a step up that justifies me going to the trouble of selling the Steelhead. Would cost me a bit more than I can get for Steelhead too, not a huge amount, but enough to make it a factor.

I wonder why the CS Port remains so unknown and unreviewed in the States. Although... I can't find a review of it on any audio site in the world. Short of Mike Lavigne it really has no one singing its praises in the US. How long has this phono been available. The guy who is trying sell his for $9500 on USAM has been at it for a while, and I get the sense he bought it from someone here on What's Best and quickly decided it wasn't for him. Now he can't move it. I ah... I don't want to be in the same boat.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Maybe CS port has not pushed the product more to reviewers.

Cs port is an outstanding phono, it neither feels like a Tube or a SS and balanced very well in between, It is super quiet and seems to bring forth a lot of details that are elegantly presented with smoothness it's basically non-fatiguing in any way whatsoever even on poorly recorded tracks. It handles dynamics very well too but at the same time, it seems to have a relaxed feeling to it as if its music is just unforced in any way whatsoever.

Tone and density seem to be spot on to my ears, midrange seems more accurate to the recording without adding additional tube warmth or bloom but it neither has a SS sound nor sounds lean just seems to flow better. It feels very relaxed and smooth without the loss of details or transparency. Very nice phono especially if you want something more engaging and can handle a variety of different genres.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I've got Ypsilon and Allnic here where I've also had some experience with the Aesthetix IO as well as the Calypso preamp from the same Jupiter series which i used to own myself for private use about 10 years ago.

The IO is fascinating piece, but it's ultimately rather complex and fragile being a 2-3 box unit using a lot (!) of tubes. The same goes for the IO. You really have to love these units to be able to live with them. Ypsilon and Allnic are both much easier to fit, handle and enjoy.

In terms of sonics and performance, you have to listen and find out for yourself what floats your boat - preferably in your own system with your choice of cartridge etc. Anything else would be a qualified guess at best.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

davelarz

Jun 6, 2022
Westchester NY
I've got Ypsilon and Allnic here where I've also had some experience with the Aesthetix IO as well as the Calypso preamp from the same Jupiter series which i used to own myself for private use about 10 years ago.

The IO is fascinating piece, but it's ultimately rather complex and fragile being a 2-3 box unit using a lot (!) of tubes. The same goes for the IO. You really have to love these units to be able to live with them. Ypsilon and Allnic are both much easier to fit, handle and enjoy.

In terms of sonics and performance, you have to listen and find out for yourself what floats your boat - preferably in your own system with your choice of cartridge etc. Anything else would be a qualified guess at best.

Yes that is the eternal problem - you have to listen yourself in your own environment and until you do you just don't know. And that is not that easy to arrange other than buying the stuff second hand at somewhere around the going rate so that if you want to move it you can. I'm really tired of doing that - did it a LOT for years and had fun, even made some money now and then, also made innumerable sideways moves - but it's a lot of work and I'm weary of the whole scene. Which is why if I'm going the jump back in the game and move the Steelhead for something else, I want it to feel like a "wow" upgrade. Nothing out there feeling like it will give me that "wow" experience and also give me three inputs (that I can afford).

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
Hi

If the CS Port is within driving distance, why not ask the seller if he is willing to let you audition and return if not satisfied? That's what I'd do and really the only way to find out if its right for you.

RK

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Yes that is the eternal problem - you have to listen yourself in your own environment and until you do you just don't know. And that is not that easy to arrange other than buying the stuff second hand at somewhere around the going rate so that if you want to move it you can. I'm really tired of doing that - did it a LOT for years and had fun, even made some money now and then, also made innumerable sideways moves - but it's a lot of work and I'm weary of the whole scene. Which is why if I'm going the jump back in the game and move the Steelhead for something else, I want it to feel like a "wow" upgrade. Nothing out there feeling like it will give me that "wow" experience and also give me three inputs (that I can afford).
If buying new, it's worth doing some traveling to visit a couple of good dealers who sometimes also offers the possibility for a home loan (we certainly do) as I see it.

If buying used, the stakes gets much higher of course which is more or less unavoidable.

My take is that there have to be benefits of buying new from someone who can offer you the possibility to listen, compare, try at home, trade in, assist with finance, installation and service, etc. That's kind of the point of our existence :)

I've been a part of the personal "trading" circus myself earlier, always searching for and trying new things which I end up selling. This is fun and educational for a while, but it soon becomes rather tiresome and costly in the end where you usually make a loss on each sale.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing