Marantz or Esoteric SACD?

Cleese74

Jul 28, 2019
Hi! I have doubts between Marantz sa10 and Esoteric 05XS. I can't try them face to face, has anyone "played" with both?
Is there any other better brand? (I'm in Spain, so...)
Thanks a lot!

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I always find Estoeric spinners a bit 'dry' sounding and 'thin' compared to Vitus and tube-based players such as Ayon. But they're built like a tank & have a good transport mech. If you're looking at Marantz, you should check out the SA8005. The reason I mentioned that model is that Modwright offer truth mods which adds, amongst other things, a tube output stage & tube-rectified outboard psu. So that gives you an upgrade path if you later decide you want to take it to the next level.

Btw, Audia Flight from Italy are planning to bring out a new cd player which could be worth a look as AF are well engineered & good value. No word yet on when the new player will land.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleese74

Cleese74

Jul 28, 2019
I always find Estoeric spinners a bit 'dry' sounding and 'thin' compared to Vitus and tube-based players such as Ayon. But they're built like a tank & have a good transport mech. If you're looking at Marantz, you should check out the SA8005. The reason I mentioned that model is that Modwright offer truth mods which adds, amongst other things, a tube output stage & tube-rectified outboard psu. So that gives you an upgrade path if you later decide you want to take it to the next level.

Btw, Audia Flight from Italy are planning to bring out a new cd player which could be worth a look as AF are well engineered & good value. No word yet on when the new player will land.
that's a lot info, thank you very much!

Reactions: Bodhi

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
You might want to take a look at the Luxman D-06u in approximately the same price range. I have an Esoteric K-03X that I compared to the Luxman D-08u. I preferred the Luxman but decided to wait due to belief that it would soon be superseded by a new model.

Reactions: Cleese74 and asiufy

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
The esoteric can be upgraded with a clock purchase in the future. Accuphase are also excellent players.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
The esoteric can be upgraded with a clock purchase in the future. Accuphase are also excellent players.
Even though I prefer the warmer sound of the Accuphase spinners, the Luxman spinners are better value imho. I auditioned the D-06u & actually thought it out-performed the flagship Lux M series amps.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Go with what you like, you won’t regret your decision.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I owned an Esoteric K-01. I sold it due to the weight of the unit and the health issues I had at the time. Did not want my wife to be stuck with an 80 lb. CD player to sell. So I looked and looked and talk with those in the industry and I got thumbs if I was going to replace the Ko1 to purchase the Marantz SA-10S! SACD player. After a long burn-in, all I can say is that I don't miss the Esoteric K-01 at all. ON SACD it sounds better, on red-book close, but I give the Esoteric the edge a bit. With SA10 you have so many inputs and the USB input sounds fantastic better than the Esoteric in fact. I use that for general background listening. But it impressed with the quality of sound, must be that unique Marantz Digital Mastering System they developed. Setting I use noise shaping 3-1, (default) and Dither Off or 1 (Default). Depending on the disc. It runs quiet, smooth transport and it does not cost 15-20K to have superb playback. Power cord makes a huge impact and with the right one, I've found it so close to the esoteric that I could never look at the K01 again for that money. Where the K01 gains are the huge power supply it has, 4 large transformers in the power supply, it runs very warm. So you get a bit more slam, and it's more upfront. I had the K-01 for a few years and loved it but I can now live without it. The Esoteric is expensive if you have a problem also, a guy I know his unit locked up and would no power on or off, sent it in for repair $2,000 for a new power board. That was all, no new laser or sled just popped in a power board. My jaw dropped.

Reactions: ozy and Cleese74

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Marantz 'Ruby' here, hopefully the last SACD/CD player I'll ever own .......

Cleese74

Jul 28, 2019
I owned an Esoteric K-01. I sold it due to the weight of the unit and the health issues I had at the time. Did not want my wife to be stuck with an 80 lb. CD player to sell. So I looked and looked and talk with those in the industry and I got thumbs if I was going to replace the Ko1 to purchase the Marantz SA-10S! SACD player. After a long burn-in, all I can say is that I don't miss the Esoteric K-01 at all. ON SACD it sounds better, on red-book close, but I give the Esoteric the edge a bit. With SA10 you have so many inputs and the USB input sounds fantastic better than the Esoteric in fact. I use that for general background listening. But it impressed with the quality of sound, must be that unique Marantz Digital Mastering System they developed. Setting I use noise shaping 3-1, (default) and Dither Off or 1 (Default). Depending on the disc. It runs quiet, smooth transport and it does not cost 15-20K to have superb playback. Power cord makes a huge impact and with the right one, I've found it so close to the esoteric that I could never look at the K01 again for that money. Where the K01 gains are the huge power supply it has, 4 large transformers in the power supply, it runs very warm. So you get a bit more slam, and it's more upfront. I had the K-01 for a few years and loved it but I can now live without it. The Esoteric is expensive if you have a problem also, a guy I know his unit locked up and would no power on or off, sent it in for repair $2,000 for a new power board. That was all, no new laser or sled just popped in a power board. My jaw dropped.
Thank you Phillyb!

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I own an Esoteric K-03X and am currently deliberating between the new Luxman D-10X and a new Esoteric XD model (K-03XD or K-01XD, reportedly a much improved sound over previous models due to new in-house developed discrete component DAC). Last year I had a loner Luxman D-08u (being replaced by the D-10X) in my system. It was significantly better than my K-03X to my ears in my system - less glare, warmer, more organic sound, improved sound stage depth. At your price point, I'd be looking at the Marantz or a heavily discounted or used Luxman D-08u ....or the D-06u.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I own an Esoteric K-03X and am currently deliberating between the new Luxman D-10X and a new Esoteric XD model (K-03XD or K-01XD, reportedly a much improved sound over previous models due to new in-house developed discrete component DAC). Last year I had a loner Luxman D-08u (being replaced by the D-10X) in my system. It was significantly better than my K-03X to my ears in my system - less glare, warmer, more organic sound, improved sound stage depth. At your price point, I'd be looking at the Marantz or a heavily discounted or used Luxman D-08u ....or the D-06u.
Luxman is nice but it getting long in the tooth, that was out for a while. Many would agree the Luxman smoked the Esoteric. Like you said much more musical and real, real live music just flows, listen to an Orch playing they are so smooth and natural in fact the Cleveland Orch sounds laid back to they really take it up in dynamics. That taught me a lot about what to listen for. Lots of gear is designed to be impressive, but it gets weary in the long run. Look at the same brands and gear on Gon, over and over and over. Now take a speaker like the Quads, so many sold, yet so little for sale, like they say when it sounds right it is hard to beat.

Reactions: ozy and Cleese74

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing