Marten Mingus Quintet 2 speakers

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I just took delivery of the new Marten Mingus Quintet 2 Statement Edition speakers one week ago! This speaker will be launched at the High End Munich 2022 in May!

Initial impressions of the speakers are very positive. For its size, the bass is deep and very fast. The sound is very transparent and dynamic. The soundstage is huge and images beyond the outside edges of the speakers.
20220417_203706.jpg 20220417_203729.jpg 20220417_203648.jpg

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Gorgeous, I have the MK1. I am a huge fan. They are so transparent yet sweet. That sweet + Transparent quality is what makes them my favorite speaker. I must admit that I do not like the look of the MK2 as much. I know the carbon fiber will improve sound, but I love the wood of mine so much. As far as I know other tweaks include changes to crossover and the feet, but I put isoacoustics on mine, which is what those feet are. I am sure they sound superb. What do you have in front of them? Mine need lots of juice. (I think the MK2 are bit more sensitive, though).

Congratulations!!

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Also, looks like the midrange driver is different than mine…

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
I just took delivery of the new Marten Mingus Quintet 2 Statement Edition speakers one week ago! This speaker will be launched at the High End Munich 2022 in May!

Initial impressions of the speakers are very positive. For its size, the bass is deep and very fast. The sound is very transparent and dynamic. The soundstage is huge and images beyond the outside edges of the speakers.
View attachment 91821 View attachment 91819 View attachment 91820
Congrats. I believe the current crop of martens are outstanding in every way. I run a pair of Coltrane momento 2 and also Oscar duos. They are both superb in all the ways you describe above.

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Gorgeous, I have the MK1. I am a huge fan. They are so transparent yet sweet. That sweet + Transparent quality is what makes them my favorite speaker. I must admit that I do not like the look of the MK2 as much. I know the carbon fiber will improve sound, but I love the wood of mine so much. As far as I know other tweaks include changes to crossover and the feet, but I put isoacoustics on mine, which is what those feet are. I am sure they sound superb. What do you have in front of them? Mine need lots of juice. (I think the MK2 are bit more sensitive, though).

Congratulations!!
The cabinet is still not made of carbon fibre.
From their website:
"We use specially selected, medium-density fibreboard with optimum rigidity to create high-quality, resonance-free cabinets. The internal structure and bracing keep the cabinet rigid, whilst inside the resonance is further dampened with advanced materials."
Yours has the wood veneers? Wood veneer finish is no longer an option. Only piano black finish with different choices for the wood top and bottom.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Oh I see. I thought they used carbon fiber like the Coltrane. Yes, mine has the most gorgeous wood finish. These speakers are unbelievably gorgeous. Wife loves them and non-audiophiles do too. Don't get me wrong, though, these are gorgeous too. I am sure you are so stoked! I love the, Amongst my favorite speakers I have heard of many. They are so sweet and kind to most gear. They are transparent, but always sweet. They do need lost of juice, though. However, as I mentioned, I think the MK2 are more sensitive. Mine are a very, very low 83db. I have 1,100 watt amps though so plenty of headroom.

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Oh I see. I thought they used carbon fiber like the Coltrane. Yes, mine has the most gorgeous wood finish. These speakers are unbelievably gorgeous. Wife loves them and non-audiophiles do too. Don't get me wrong, though, these are gorgeous too. I am sure you are so stoked! I love the, Amongst my favorite speakers I have heard of many. They are so sweet and kind to most gear. They are transparent, but always sweet. They do need lost of juice, though. However, as I mentioned, I think the MK2 are more sensitive. Mine are a very, very low 83db. I have 1,100 watt amps though so plenty of headroom.
I thought the MK1 has 87 dB sensitivity, which is only 1 dB less than for the the MK2.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I thought the MK1 has 87 dB sensitivity, which is only 1 dB less than for the the MK2.
You could be right. The website said 83 before, but that could have been an error.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Are these rear ported? Could you take a picture of the rear side? Thank you.
Yes, downward. They dig deep. Down to 25hz or so easy. I can hear a 20hz test tone but muffled. The bass is super fast and tight.

Last edited:

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Yes, downward. They dig deep. Down to 25hz or so easy. I can hear a 20hz test tone but muffled. The bass is super fast and tight.
Yes, the ports are at the bottom of the cabinets. The frequency response is 24 - 100,000 Hz +/- 2dB!

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Ok so bottom ported. I saw the now have a model, maybe the Parker series, which had a line array of passive radiators on the back side.

What is the knob in between speaker terminals?

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Ok so bottom ported. I saw the now have a model, maybe the Parker series, which had a line array of passive radiators on the back side.

What is the knob in between speaker terminals?
The knob is for adjusting the base level in 5 steps, +/- steps

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I'd love to know what electronics you other owners are using

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My system is Roon Core/Server on NUC 11i5 to MSB Reference DAC's Pro USB-ISL input to Vitus Audio SIA-030 integrated amplifier to Marten Mingus Quintet 2. All cabling is by Jorma Statement cables including power cables. Power supply is from a 32A dedicated line to a Furutech GTX-D NCF Duplex wall receptacles. The NUC 11 and MSB Pro USB module are located in a closet connected by a 25m fiber cable to the Pro ISL input of the MSB Reference DAC in the listening room.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Wow. That is a spectacular system. I’m sure it is burning in nice. Enjoy with great satisfaction!!

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Wow. That is a spectacular system. I’m sure it is burning in nice. Enjoy with great satisfaction!!
Thank you very much! Yes, I am burning in the speakers 24/7 now!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing