MastersounD Spettro Preamplifier and PF100 Monoblocks

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I'm excited to announce that the first set of these fine machines will be traversing across the Atlantic this week. While both models have been in the US before, the newest versions have Litz-wired transformers to elevate their performance. They now boast 120 watts per channel of parallel single-ended goodness.

I was hoping they might make it in for my birthday weekend, but it looks like they'll have to be a belated 'present'.

For anyone interested in getting their ears on these, I am planning on debuting them at AXPONA 2019.

PF100 Litz.jpg Spettro 1.jpg

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As you know, Skip, I am extremely intrigued by that PF100 Litz. These comparisons would be extremely difficult to make happen, but I would be fascinated to compare the PF100 to a high power single tube SET (NAT Magme New SE, Wavac or AM 833) on the one hand, and to something like an Absolare 845 push-pull on the other hand.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I'm intrigued too. I've found myself, at least with MastersounD offerings, to prefer the parallel versions of their amplifiers in most cases. Many say that you lose the magic of the SET sound, but I've found the parallel to simply offer more control of the speaker from top to bottom with the same magic.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Wow! Fantastic!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What is it about tube amps? They're SOOO photogenic.
These are no exception.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As you know, Skip, I am extremely intrigued by that PF100 Litz. These comparisons would be extremely difficult to make happen, but I would be fascinated to compare the PF100 to a high power single tube SET (NAT Magme New SE, Wavac or AM 833) on the one hand, and to something like an Absolare 845 push-pull on the other hand.

The KR va 200 is much superior to the Nat magma. The Nat preamps are better than the KR

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The KR va 200 is much superior to the Nat magma. The Nat preamps are better than the KR
Where you able to directly compare those pieces of gear?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Where you able to directly compare those pieces of gear?

I have compared the NAT Magma SE to various amps and the KR 200 to various amps. The attributes are consistent. The NAT has less drive, less highs, slow transients, very laid back. KR is is way more lively, great drive, energy, stage, complexity resolving. Regarding preamps, I have compared the NAT Utopia to AR Ref 3 and to Dartzeel (with Alieno power amp) and preferred the NAT. The KR pre lost out to even a yamamoto pre that was 2000 euro or so, to Thoress (which are remotely not my choice of preamps anyway). I also rotated valves on KR to check, and tried different amps. As such I don't think the pre warrants further investigation on my side.

Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Next duel: KR va 200 versus MastersounD PF100!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have compared the NAT Magma SE to various amps and the KR 200 to various amps. The attributes are consistent. The NAT has less drive, less highs, slow transients, very laid back. KR is is way more lively, great drive, energy, stage, complexity resolving. Regarding preamps, I have compared the NAT Utopia to AR Ref 3 and to Dartzeel (with Alieno power amp) and preferred the NAT. The KR pre lost out to even a yamamoto pre that was 2000 euro or so, to Thoress (which are remotely not my choice of preamps anyway). I also rotated valves on KR to check, and tried different amps. As such I don't think the pre warrants further investigation on my side.
You must have had those Nats on Mooks again.

Ked, you're such a Mooky puppy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing