MBL 101 X-Tremes

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Gentlemen, the posts about the tweeter height above... does the tweeter height really matter? It's spherical and omni-directional, and the sound waves are pretty directional at those frequencies. So why should the tweeter height matter than much? We can also sit up and slouch at times...
It really is not the tweeter hight that makes the biggest difference, it's the location of the midrange drivers. But MBL have added a upwards firing adjustable tweeter on top of the main tower, it must make some difference. :)

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Gentlemen, the posts about the tweeter height above... does the tweeter height really matter? It's spherical and omni-directional, and the sound waves are pretty directional at those frequencies. So why should the tweeter height matter than much? We can also sit up and slouch at times...
It is omni in horizontal plane and not in vertical plane. Even markerting materials from MBL shows the sound wave is omni in horizontal plane.

Planar or line source speakers are relatively insensitive to listening heights. Definitely not MBL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
How good is the room for this dealer? Does it have the appropriate balance of reflective and absorptive surfaces to make them work optimally?

For those who like open sound (non-boxy sound), they are tops. Much more transparent than ribbon panel speakers, and also much more 3D and dynamic than both ribbon panels and stats. So I hope their room can properly show them off.
The room is far from perfect, but it's not terrible either. As far as showrooms go, it's more than good enough to showcase what the Extremes can do.

I recently did a video series where I compared different room and systems with the same tracks. Here is one of them that has the MBL Extremes at the dealership. You can't tell much from a cell phone mic, but you may find it interesting.

caesar

May 30, 2010
The room is far from perfect, but it's not terrible either. As far as showrooms go, it's more than good enough to showcase what the Extremes can do.

I recently did a video series where I compared different room and systems with the same tracks. Here is one of them that has the MBL Extremes at the dealership. You can't tell much from a cell phone mic, but you may find it interesting.

Thanks for sharing! Maybe it's the power of my imagination, or my experience with MBL, but I could easily pick up on the transparency and openness of the sound.

Do you happen to know if this pair of speakers came from the audioshark dealership, moving on in the roadshow to this dealer, or whether this is a different pair?

Reactions: speshal

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Thanks for bringing this video up for listening...great stuff! I saw this was the accompanying video with the Avalon Isis playing same/similar tracks. Also impressive!

Last edited:
Reactions: ack and speshal

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
Thanks for sharing! Maybe it's the power of my imagination, or my experience with MBL, but I could easily pick up on the transparency and openness of the sound.

Do you happen to know if this pair of speakers came from the audioshark dealership, moving on in the roadshow to this dealer, or whether this is a different pair?
I think this demo pair came from a Florida dealership.

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
Thanks for bringing this video up for listening...great stuff! I saw this was the accompanying video with the Avalon Isis playing same/similar tracks. Also impressive!

Yeah...I loved that room.

I've been lucky to hear quite a few mega dollar rooms and go to many shows over the years. That room definitely stood out amongst the crowd.

Many more videos to come of other systems...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Thanks for sharing

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012

Enjoyed watching this video.
It is eerily similar to my install of the 101E speakers!
I also have an elevator to my 3rd floor room.
Of course I did the install myself, with the help of my wife - LOL!!

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Redoing my room with Stillpoint Aperture diffraction panels.
I know the 101E speakers are not typically acoustically treated like conventional speakers.
I'm thinking of either (2) 22" square Apertures stacked vertically stacked or horizontally behind each speaker.
Have 1 to put on center rack when critically listening to music.
No front wall corner treatments or 1st reflection points.
Does this sound similar to what other 101E owners are doing?

Pic is of the old layout with GIK absorption panels.

Reactions: HughP3 and Lagonda

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
I know the 101E speakers are not typically acoustically treated like conventional speakers.
I'm thinking of either (2) 22" square Apertures stacked vertically stacked or horizontally behind each speaker.

It's hard to say what may be best for any particular room without measuring and hearing first hand. However, based on my experience with MBLs and others that own them, I can share just some anecdotal recommendations.

First, there really is no "first reflection point" with MBLs, so I think you're fine to ignore that conventional wisdom.

Second, diffraction may help, but the speaker itself is quasi "diffracting" the sound, so your mileage with those type treatments may not be the same as with conventional speakers.

Bass traps and 4 inch think absorbers in selective areas is where I would concentrate my budget/effort first.

Others may have additional ideas, but so much depends on your listening position, things in the room, what's behind the walls, any glass, doors, etc.

Reactions: gfroman

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Bare walls, or diffusers in the first third of the room has always worked for me, i successfully removed the wall to wall carpet in that part of the room too. To much absorbtion kills the excellent dynamics of this speaker, they are never going to image the same way your old speakers did anyway ;) Bass is so room dependent, had them in a house built all in wood in Sweden, the soft walls where not very good, my current brick house has great diffusion and bass response, and the wolf can huff and puff all he wants ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77 and gfroman

caesar

May 30, 2010

Hi,
If you haven't yet pulled the trigger on the Stillpoints panels, check out the Zanden panels. they are much better. (and if you have, return them :) )

As far as the first reflection points, yes, they do exist. Not only side walls, but floor and ceiling also. Once you get the panels, do the math to determine the exact location, and play around with the placement panels.

My additional thoughts on MBL and Acoustics, based on about a decade of ownership, are here: https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/what-works-for-omnidirectional-speakers.31749/#post-685031

Good Luck!

PS. I love the design of the Rowlands. But I never heard them on the MBLs. I hope they sound as good as they look

PSS. Your photography looks amazing. You are one talented human

Reactions: gfroman

caesar

May 30, 2010
Bare walls, or diffusers in the first third of the room has always worked for me, i successfully removed the wall to wall carpet in that part of the room too. To much absorbtion kills the excellent dynamics of this speaker, they are never going to image the same way your old speakers did anyway ;) Bass is so room dependent, had them in a house built all in wood in Sweden, the soft walls where not very good, my current brick house has great diffusion and bass response, and the wolf can huff and puff all he wants ;)

Yes, generally agree on the imaging, but with SMT panels, imaging is incredible. This is because the SMT panels (when properly placed) delay everything except the direct sound coming to the listening positioning.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, generally agree on the imaging, but with SMT panels, imaging is incredible. This is because the SMT panels (when properly placed) delay everything except the direct sound coming to the listening positioning.
I liked the sound of SMT too the one time i heard a room full of them, good for taming small rooms especially, but not really pretty in my taste :rolleyes:

caesar

May 30, 2010
I liked the sound of SMT too the one time i heard a room full of them, good for taming small rooms especially, but not really pretty in my taste :rolleyes:
Yeah, I hear you. You brought up imaging, and it's one of the things SMT helps with, but some people prefer a more diffuse sound.... And, of course, things also depend on the materials in the room - wood, drywall, stone, etc., the number of absorptive, reflective surfaces, etc.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yeah, I hear you. You brought up imaging, and it's one of the things SMT helps with, but some people prefer a more diffuse sound.... And, of course, things also depend on the materials in the room - wood, drywall, stone, etc., the number of absorptive, reflective surfaces, etc.
Biggest acoustical treatment i ever implemented was tearing down a brick wall and getting extra 6 m listening room :) You suddenly realize how much of your bass is made up of standing waves :rolleyes:

Reactions: adyc and caesar

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
It was a partial bearing wall, so i even got a free stripper pole out of it :) On windy days i always wonder if we did a good job ;) I will probably end up removing the ceiling too, i don't really use the 2 rooms above the listening room anyway, 5 meter ceiling would be nice !

Last edited:

Paret

Jan 1, 2022
It’s been a few months.

We need updates please!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing