MBL 101 X-Tremes

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 4, 2014
Denmark
Gentlemen, the posts about the tweeter height above... does the tweeter height really matter? It's spherical and omni-directional, and the sound waves are pretty directional at those frequencies. So why should the tweeter height matter than much? We can also sit up and slouch at times...
It really is not the tweeter hight that makes the biggest difference, it's the location of the midrange drivers. But MBL have added a upwards firing adjustable tweeter on top of the main tower, it must make some difference. :)

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 6, 2013
Gentlemen, the posts about the tweeter height above... does the tweeter height really matter? It's spherical and omni-directional, and the sound waves are pretty directional at those frequencies. So why should the tweeter height matter than much? We can also sit up and slouch at times...
It is omni in horizontal plane and not in vertical plane. Even markerting materials from MBL shows the sound wave is omni in horizontal plane.

Planar or line source speakers are relatively insensitive to listening heights. Definitely not MBL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
How good is the room for this dealer? Does it have the appropriate balance of reflective and absorptive surfaces to make them work optimally?

For those who like open sound (non-boxy sound), they are tops. Much more transparent than ribbon panel speakers, and also much more 3D and dynamic than both ribbon panels and stats. So I hope their room can properly show them off.
The room is far from perfect, but it's not terrible either. As far as showrooms go, it's more than good enough to showcase what the Extremes can do.

I recently did a video series where I compared different room and systems with the same tracks. Here is one of them that has the MBL Extremes at the dealership. You can't tell much from a cell phone mic, but you may find it interesting.

caesar

May 31, 2010
The room is far from perfect, but it's not terrible either. As far as showrooms go, it's more than good enough to showcase what the Extremes can do.

I recently did a video series where I compared different room and systems with the same tracks. Here is one of them that has the MBL Extremes at the dealership. You can't tell much from a cell phone mic, but you may find it interesting.

Thanks for sharing! Maybe it's the power of my imagination, or my experience with MBL, but I could easily pick up on the transparency and openness of the sound.

Do you happen to know if this pair of speakers came from the audioshark dealership, moving on in the roadshow to this dealer, or whether this is a different pair?

Reactions: speshal

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Thanks for bringing this video up for listening...great stuff! I saw this was the accompanying video with the Avalon Isis playing same/similar tracks. Also impressive!

Last edited:
Reactions: ack and speshal

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
Thanks for sharing! Maybe it's the power of my imagination, or my experience with MBL, but I could easily pick up on the transparency and openness of the sound.

Do you happen to know if this pair of speakers came from the audioshark dealership, moving on in the roadshow to this dealer, or whether this is a different pair?
I think this demo pair came from a Florida dealership.

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
Thanks for bringing this video up for listening...great stuff! I saw this was the accompanying video with the Avalon Isis playing same/similar tracks. Also impressive!

Yeah...I loved that room.

I've been lucky to hear quite a few mega dollar rooms and go to many shows over the years. That room definitely stood out amongst the crowd.

Many more videos to come of other systems...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Thanks for sharing

gfroman

Dec 29, 2012

Enjoyed watching this video.
It is eerily similar to my install of the 101E speakers!
I also have an elevator to my 3rd floor room.
Of course I did the install myself, with the help of my wife - LOL!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing