MBL 101 X-Tremes

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
its an itch that wont go away. my wife and i are going to 3ma in Houston for an audition Feb 18. i am so intrigued by this non-traditional design. can they really be as good as Valin says... and my wife asked what if they are
I go to 3mA a lot and film videos there. I think you will be impressed. The room isn't optimal, but it's good enough to get a grasp on what they are capable of in a dedicated fully treated room.

One thing you may want to consider and discuss with them is the option of getting the Extremes without the $100k bass towers. I recently got the REL No 25, and I think a stack of those would be more than equal to the MBL stack at a significant cost savings. I think the guys at 3mA might agree with me, so it's something to ponder while there.

Good luck with the demo.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I go to 3mA a lot and film videos there. I think you will be impressed. The room isn't optimal, but it's good enough to get a grasp on what they are capable of in a dedicated fully treated room.

One thing you may want to consider and discuss with them is the option of getting the Extremes without the $100k bass towers. I recently got the REL No 25, and I think a stack of those would be more than equal to the MBL stack at a significant cost savings. I think the guys at 3mA might agree with me, so it's something to ponder while there.

Good luck with the demo.
I did not know that configuration was an option. Thank you!

Reactions: speshal

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
No problem.

Actually, one of their other customers (who is also a customer of mine for my custom server) is getting the Extremes without the bass towers. He will be using RELs (not No 25, but the dual 212SX) with the Extremes. He's got a relatively small room, so it should be enough.

I'm told his Extremes are supposed to arrive some time in February. Thus, I may have a video and more to report on that combo once I check it out. I'll try to come back here and report.

Reactions: HughP3

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
looked at the Rel 25 vey nice. I have not shopped for subs. I know about the JL Gothams which i dont think stack.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Great info here guys, thanks!
I have the 101E II speakers and (1) REL 212SE sub.
Would love to have (2) but no budget for that currently.
Remarkably the 212SE sub integrates nicely!

Reactions: speshal and HughP3

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
Great info here guys, thanks!
I have the 101E II speakers and (1) REL 212SE sub.
Would love to have (2) but no budget for that currently.
Remarkably the 212SE sub integrates nicely!

That's a killer combo,but what are the color of your MBLs? I thought they only came in white or black with different trim options. Your's look grey/silver unless it's just the nature of the lighting.

BTW, I recently filmed a video at guy's house that has that same combo. He's the one getting the Extremes next. You might find this video interesting or deja vu :)

Reactions: gfroman and Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'm happy to see MBL 101E Mk. IIs driven by high power tube amplifiers. I didn't know that amplifier would have enough current to drive enthusiastically that speaker. I thought the Aesthetix Atlas Mono Eclipse was as far in the tube direction as one could go on MBLs.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks, they are also available in Silver like mine.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
All I know is every single time I've heard them at RMAF they have been so bright it's literally driven me from the room after a few minutes as it was painful.

Perhaps for those who are older and have lost more of their HF hearing. ;)

speshal

Mar 8, 2018
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
All I know is every single time I've heard them at RMAF they have been so bright it's literally driven me from the room after a few minutes as it was painful.

A few times at shows, I've had a similar experience. However, I've heard nothing like that at the 2 people's homes I know who have MBLs...nor my local dealer.

One potential issue...I wasn't able to choose the tracks being played at the shows. Everytime I heard them sound not so great at shows, they were playing certain tracks that I didn't know (or were more "hot" by nature).

Also, the rooms seemed a bit big for the 101e (plus open doors/high ceilings), and thus the bass was a little light which translates to a brighter sound.

Afveep

Jun 9, 2010
www.xtremefidelity.net
We used to be MBL dealers a number of years back; still are VAC dealers. My partner retired 3 year ago and had his choice of what his retirement system would be. Although we were no longer mbl dealers, he chose mbl 101e mk II's powered by VAC Statement 450iQ Monoblocks. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that the 101's won't work with (certain) high power tube amps! The VAC Statement 450 iQs are just AWESOME with the mbls. I have not tried the new 452s with mbl yet; I'd imagine they'd be even better. Nothing against the mbl amps themselves for which I have a special fondness with mbl speakers; but the VAC amps are really special with mbl. (No commercial gain intended here.)
Tom

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
We used to be MBL dealers a number of years back; still are VAC dealers. My partner retired 3 year ago and had his choice of what his retirement system would be. Although we were no longer mbl dealers, he chose mbl 101e mk II's powered by VAC Statement 450iQ Monoblocks. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that the 101's won't work with (certain) high power tube amps! The VAC Statement 450 iQs are just AWESOME with the mbls. I have not tried the new 452s with mbl yet; I'd imagine they'd be even better. Nothing against the mbl amps themselves for which I have a special fondness with mbl speakers; but the VAC amps are really special with mbl. (No commercial gain intended here.)
Tom
Hi Tom i am not sure any tube can drive the xtremes? As a substitute for the 9011 i think the D’Ag M400 would work?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019

I will find out! It has been recommended to me to do an extended listen for that very issue. Evidently the initial impressions for most is wow then the longer one listens you either still love them or find them bright, its is a personal experience as all of this obsession is.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Tom
I totally agree. Not try to keep repeating myself over and over, I have said the same a few times already in different threads in WBF. VAC 450 beats 9011 in driving 101. Much more musical.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I totally agree. Not try to keep repeating myself over and over, I have said the same a few times already in different threads in WBF. VAC 450 beats 9011 in driving 101. Much more musical.
In a small room, to bad the tubes keep blowing :rolleyes:

Afveep

Jun 9, 2010
www.xtremefidelity.net
i am not sure any tube can drive the xtremes? As a substitute for the 9011 i think the D’Ag M400 would work?
Hugh,
While I can't say I've tried the 450 iQ on the Xtreme's, I'd be willing to guess that a gaggle would work just as well on the them. Although the D'Ag M400 would probably do a good job if you go the traditional solid state route, I just can't fathom anything other than those wonderful 9011s ! If you buy into the mbl sound, it's very much a "holistic experience", and a wonderful one at that. Too much experimenting and mixing and matching can muck that up.
I have read your thread about building your room and have seen the photos. Congratulations! While you have a wonderful system now, the idea of an mbl Xtreme system in there has me salivating on your behalf! :) The Xtreme, like the big Tidals and a few rare other speakers, are "Destinations".
Tom

Reactions: Pokey77 and Lagonda

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh,
While I can't say I've tried the 450 iQ on the Xtreme's, I'd be willing to guess that a gaggle would work just as well on the them. Although the D'Ag M400 would probably do a good job if you go the traditional solid state route, I just can't fathom anything other than those wonderful 9011s ! If you buy into the mbl sound, it's very much a "holistic experience", and a wonderful one at that. Too much experimenting and mixing and matching can muck that up.
I have read your thread about building your room and have seen the photos. Congratulations! While you have a wonderful system now, the idea of an mbl Xtreme system in there has me salivating on your behalf! :) The Xtreme, like the big Tidals and a few rare other speakers, are "Destinations".
Tom
Thanks Tom

caesar

May 30, 2010
I've heard countless speakers over 35 years in the hobby and going to shows. However, I've never had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with the MBL Extremes (rarely even see them at shows). Recently, my local dealer in Houston qualified to get them, so they invited me to come watch the delivery, installation and setup. It was a fun and memorable experience.

I documented as much as possible on video, so some of you may appreciate the experience as much as I did. Here is the video playlist. Everything you see is "first take" stuff with almost no editing other than piecing together clips and adding some captions. Nothing was pre-planned or coordinated as you will see. All the challenges encountered are documented on the fly.

I'll have more clips with audio this weekend. I wanted to give them time to dial everything in...plus I was exhausted after being there until 1am.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPt7qoWWa8yjGKClUCQF6hSMA7jqjnclZ

How good is the room for this dealer? Does it have the appropriate balance of reflective and absorptive surfaces to make them work optimally?

For those who like open sound (non-boxy sound), they are tops. Much more transparent than ribbon panel speakers, and also much more 3D and dynamic than both ribbon panels and stats. So I hope their room can properly show them off.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, the posts about the tweeter height above... does the tweeter height really matter? It's spherical and omni-directional, and the sound waves are pretty directional at those frequencies. So why should the tweeter height matter than much? We can also sit up and slouch at times...

Reactions: Pokey77

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
My visit to 3Ma got bumped to march 8. In the meantime going to Nashville this Monday to listen to the XVX. Both visits should be really fun.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing