Mcintosh mc901 amp - no posts about this?

Elftrader

Jan 16, 2022
I'm taking a look at the Mc 901 dual mono amplifier and I came to this forum hoping to find lots of good info.

This is a combo solid state/tube amplifier and seems quite nice for by a well matched biamp configuration.

This model came out about three years ago, cost is about $38,000 and it's very big

Is this a successful amplifier and is it worth pursuing?

Sep 10, 2022
i really enjoy mine in my system.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I started a thread. For some reason it never caught on.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I'm taking a look at the Mc 901 dual mono amplifier and I came to this forum hoping to find lots of good info.

This is a combo solid state/tube amplifier and seems quite nice for by a well matched biamp configuration.

This model came out about three years ago, cost is about $38,000 and it's very big

Is this a successful amplifier and is it worth pursuing?
At that price point, there are many good options.
I listened to a pair driving top of the line McIntosh speakers (made by Sonus Faber according to The McIntosh Group’s rep Wil Kline. Also listened on a pair of high end Sonus Faber speakers.
The room was good. Sources were good. I was listening for fun, not to decide whether to buy them.
I thought the configurations I heard were musically engaging, enjoyable, noise and drama free, and well presented.
If I were in your position and was considering them, I’d spend some time (on a few days if possible) auditioning them at a dealer with a good set up.
Mcintosh, if nothing else, is reliably well built. It’s not exotic, but neither is it mediocre. Some folks hate them. My love/hate relationship with them has been all over the lot for 60 years. Make your own decision based on your own ears.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
From it is an all in one soliition to bi- amping
if you like thezc sound it mayb for you.

Elftrader

Jan 16, 2022
Would it make sense to upgrade mcintosh 611 600 W mono blocks to the MC 901. All for the purpose of introducing tubes to the mid and Tweeter, and maybe improve sound coming from the bass drivers by cleaning up the signal since it is dedicated at that point.

Existing mc 611 monos I have into a B&w 802 D3 in a 14 x 20' room don't distort but maybe there will be a meaningful change to the mid/tweeters.

Sep 10, 2022
Would it make sense to upgrade mcintosh 611 600 W mono blocks to the MC 901. All for the purpose of introducing tubes to the mid and Tweeter, and maybe improve sound coming from the bass drivers by cleaning up the signal since it is dedicated at that point.

Existing mc 611 monos I have into a B&w 802 D3 in a 14 x 20' room don't distort but maybe there will be a meaningful change to the mid/tweeters.

I think it does but thats because thats what I did. the tube section on the 901s is fantastic and really does something special to the mids and highs over the Mac SS ive had. but you really need to audition it for yourself, I just think it's such a cool design, and sounds really really good.

Elftrader

Jan 16, 2022
I think it does but thats because thats what I did. the tube section on the 901s is fantastic and really does something special to the mids and highs over the Mac SS ive had. but you really need to audition it for yourself, I just think it's such a cool design, and sounds really really good.
Thank you. Nice to hear that about the MC 901.

The only other serious concern I have about it is the heat factor for all the tubes. How is this impacting you?

The room I'm using is 14 x 22 with 8 foot ceilings. In the summer it may turn it into a much hotter room despite AC.

It is a lot of tubes, 28. Also am considering the 1.25 solid state but that's a serious monetary outlay and not sure how mids and tweeters would benefit in the same spirit of what tubes would do.

Elftrader

Jan 16, 2022
How much heat does the MC 901 create? Have been told it's like a portable heater set to the low setting, which is horrifying.
That's a lot of heat being given off. Seems like a very uncomfortable amp to have in a room

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
How much heat does the MC 901 create? Have been told it's like a portable heater set to the low setting, which is horrifying.
That's a lot of heat being given off. Seems like a very uncomfortable amp to have in a room
I’m sure it is. The tube section is similar in power to my LP275Ms, or my Ref 250 SEs. They typically draw about 300 Watts per amp at idle. I have to run the AC when the temp outside goes above 80F or the room is uncomfortable. My AC in that room is dedicated on its own unit with appropriate measures to keep it quiet. Nice in winter though.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
If I don’t run the AC, the temp creeps up to 80F at the amp end. I set the AC on 74F, and it runs intermittently.
I designed the room and HVAC with HVAC noise mitigation as a goal. It is quiet.
The room is very well insulated. 16’x34’ with 10’ ceiling. The supply and return lines are overhead away from the listening position. The unit is isolated and has a quiet distribution system. The room is on its own system and the set control is at the amp end.
The whole system draws about 1000 Watts in use with all tube and SS units running.

If you do not have good cooling capabilities, any big tube amps are going to be problematic for listener comfort.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Most big ss amps run hot.

Elftrader

Jan 16, 2022
I am presently using Mcintosh 611 and they run cool. At Moderate hi volume, they only use 70 watts per mono.

The ref 250, 300 W monos have eight or nine kt150 tubes each, and these are rated at about 80 W each, they run very hot and audio research runs tubes aggressively. Mac uses 8 Kt 88 tubes in each 901 which are about 40 W. No idea how much energy used at idle. Mcintosh the company told me they have no interest in measuring Energy use by their amps and doesn't provide this info. Very very strange.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
I am presently using Mcintosh 611 and they run cool. At Moderate hi volume, they only use 70 watts per mono.

The ref 250, 300 W monos have eight or nine kt150 tubes each, and these are read it for about 80 W each, they run very hot and audio research tubes aggressively. Mac uses 8 Kt 88 tubes in each 901 which are about 40 W. No idea how much energy used at idle. Mcintosh the company has never measured it and can't provide this info. Very very strange.
My measurements at idle are my own. I’ve not seen CJ or ARC specs on this.
If someone is worried about heat generated, try smaller Class D.

Elftrader

Jan 16, 2022
I would buy a nice tube amplifier but if you want one with 300 W per channel it really heats up a room. It's absolutely horrifying and why people buy these unless the room is really really really large it's really crazy. You shouldn't have to run air conditioning every time you want to use an amplifier which many people I guess I do and many people have dedicated AC for their listening rooms which is just crazy.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
I would buy a nice tube amplifier but if you want one with 300 W per channel it really heats up a room. It's absolutely horrifying and why people buy these unless the room is really really really large it's really crazy. You shouldn't have to run air conditioning every time you want to use an amplifier which many people I guess I do and many people have dedicated AC for their listening rooms which is just crazy.
It’s not crazy … it’s crazy in your value system. You will seriously want to consider much cooler class D amps.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Except for class D almost all amplifiers are inefficient space heaters. Rate off dissipation is more important. I have seen wood stoves that are cool to the touch
In the northern part of the country many homes don't have a|c.
As for being crazy. Yes, this whole hobby is crazy. That's what makes it fun

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Consider that a pair of MC901s is priced at $38000. What’s another $5k to $10k for HVAC to keep the room comfortable if these are your bucket list amps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing