Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
2020-mclaren-gt-1280x720.jpg

I like several brands and many models of cars, both new and vintage, especially Ferraris (among exotic cars) but, for whatever reasons, I have never been especially interested in Lamborghinis, Bugattis or McLarens. Hovever, this new McLaren GT seems pretty great!

Unlike other McLarens one can discern instantly, when looking at the side of the car, which end is the front of the car and which end is the rear of the car. For some reason I have a design aesthetic pet peeve if I cannot discern instantly and clearly which end is the front of the car.

I find the McLarens small and cramped, but the new GT is longer than every McLaren except for the ultra-exotic Speedtail.

Also, this car is designed for long distance driving and is more comfortable to drive for long distances than the other models.

Finally, I just really like the design of the car.

What do you think?

Christian, is this car on your Christmas list?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
after the Alonzo debacle at Indy i am mad at Mac right now, cool road cars tho although a bit fragile on track.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Alonzo? Who is Mac?? Mac is your amp??? You are mad at your amp????

The GT is a cool road car? How do you know? No one has test driven it yet.

Reactions: Uk Paul

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
View attachment 53078

I like several brands and many models of cars, both new and vintage, especially Ferraris (among exotic cars) but, for whatever reasons, I have never been especially interested in Lamborghinis, Bugattis or McLarens. Hovever, this new McLaren GT seems pretty great!

Unlike other McLarens one can discern instantly, when looking at the side of the car, which end is the front of the car and which end is the rear of the car. For some reason I have a design aesthetic pet peeve if I cannot discern instantly and clearly which end is the front of the car.

I find the McLarens small and cramped, but the new GT is longer than every McLaren except for the ultra-exotic Speedtail.

Also, this car is designed for long distance driving and is more comfortable to drive for long distances than the other models.

What do you think?

The McLaren rides Bangkok bumpy roads quite ok..actually more comfortable than the brands you mentioned. You will need to fit a Lazy Boy in the super car to be more comfy than that.

Tang :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ron you like the "luxury" look it seems. I'm not sure I align with that, but maybe, what I do know is I'm not really into the look of most of the super cars... You drive them on the road, not the track (for most people, there aren't a lot of tracks). Sure a lot of them do look nice, but they're just so overboard... I think the most sporty one I was ever into was the S7. It is unique, has the kind of engine that excites a person, and seriously reminds me of cars/hotwheels/legos/etc from my childhood that appealed. It's a fairly strong exception in my book. The Enzo is good looking for what it is, but I'd rather cruise an original 300SL or 356. But to the GT, it's ok looking, but not my style. I don't dress flashy enough for it.

I got over the "fastest on the road" syndrome because there's always some psycho with some more scary and more faster than anything you've ever seen.

The only reason I'd ever be inclined toward a Lambo is because of what old Frank said.

I'll give the title of ugliest supercar ever to the GT-R.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Alonzo? Who is Mac?? Mac is your amp??? You are mad at your amp????

The GT is a cool road car? How do you know? No one has test driven it yet.

Lol sorry Ron - Mac means McLaren and no not McIntosh. Fenando Alonzo is 2 time F1 world Champion that also drove for McLaren as his final paid ride. He had a hard go of it with Mac due to Honda power. McLaren this week failed to qualify for the Indy 500 with arguable one of the best drivers alive. The racing world is mad at Mac because they were not prepared for Indy and we all want Mclaren to make a come back.

I road race and do track days. There are a few Mclarens every now and then that do show up at Road Atlanta, such as 675LT. Very very fast but they tend to have some overheating issues when pushed for a length of time. I have 2 friends that have a 675LT and a 720S. They love them. Great road car. I am a Porsche snob so buy only GT3's

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for all of the clarifications!

I am sure that your GT3 is bulletproof compared to McLarens, which seem almost by design to be kind of high-strung.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Thank you for all of the clarifications!

I am sure that your GT3 is bulletproof compared to McLarens, which seem almost by design to be kind of high-strung.

my friends 675LT hit 172mph on Road Atlanta back straight, my hat if off to that. Very quick, faster than most American Le Mans Series GT cars there

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Back to Audio - hope your enjoying (or soon to) the Gryphons. I did not want to spend that amount on the Tridents but after my wife cried 2x while listening we both said you cannot take it with you. At Axpona they were best of show to me. My life long speaker, done, fork in it....

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That’s okay — this thread is about cars and we are in the cars forum.

The Trident I am sure is totally amazing!

What amplifier are you planning to use?

PS: The Trident is more of a general purpose speaker than the Pendragon. I just wanted a full-range ribbon driver for vocals.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I could use your advice there! I will start a new thread over on Gryphon forum. Great web site btw... and i will be a donor today.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am not on the Gryphon forum. Feel free to start a thread on that question in the amplifier forum here.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I see the Trident is 95dB sensitive. This means you have tons of options!

I personally like tube amplifiers. I would consider on my short list ARC 160 monos, MastersounD PF100 Litz monos, VTL MB-125 monos, and AM Audio 833S monos.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I see the Trident is 95dB sensitive. This means you have tons of options!

I personally like tube amplifiers. I would consider on my short list ARC 160 monos, MastersounD PF100 Litz monos, VTL MB-125 monos, and AM Audio 833S monos.

thanks Ron - I just created a new thread on you Amp forum, I will cut and paste your reply there if not already done

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
View attachment 53078

What do you think?

Mc Larens are very quick and properly engineered cars.
But if the warranty runs out you are neck deep in bills.
After a couple of years the cars need some major repairs, which are very very pricey. (Transmission 30K+)

One of my friends was interested in an used MP4-12C and they presented him the service history which totaled to 28k € in the last 1 1/2 years.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It’s axiomatic with these exotic cars that actually buying the car is the cheapest part of the whole ownership process.o_O

For example, to replace the timing belt in a Ferrari 355 (the model immediately preceding Bellini, a 360) a technician must disconnect the engine and lift the entire body up and out of the way. Fortunately I think Ferrari figured out a better service design in later models.

When Bellini came out of her medically-induced coma after sitting still in my garage for five year the hospital send me a high four figure bill.

Last edited:

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
It’s axiomatic with these exotic cars that actually buying the car is the cheapest part of the whole ownership process.o_O
Well the Bugatti is so expensive that the 30-40k of service a year is not that expensive compared to the purchase price. And Bugattis are endurance tested to VW standards which means they run 100k km without hickups.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

What do you think?

McLaren makes me think of pure sports cars, the GT is nice but for a non-track-use GT car the Aston Martin DB11 V12 AMR or Superleggera would be my choice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing