Medical breakthroughs the children of our children will see in the next 50 years

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks Bob,

Always exciting to read about the medical technology of the future and perhaps equally sobering to think who will also be able to take advantage of it.

Affordability of medical treatment is reasonably going to become more of an issue and not less.

I have a mate who is on a fortnight’s treatment of pills that cost $14,000. My dad is on a lifesaving lifetime prescription of a drug that runs to $30,000 a year in cost (he is on many more drugs than that (including life) and most of them are prescribed).

It’s worth a thought that as we increasingly swing back towards a world run by and for the few extreme ‘haves’ and the growing mass of the extreme ‘have-nots’ this stuff will just be added to the list of other people’s tantalising realities well beyond the reach of most.

As rising population and increasing challenges for available resources shapes a future that could well be less than fabulous and with many more of us just able to afford the essentials and that many of the things promised now may not be accessible to all, or even the many.

Potential technology can be brilliant and shiny and wildly attractive and certainly should also be wisely championed. While science sets a buzz about the future sometimes we need to apply precaution about the kinds of big questions that should arise about the relentless quest for human longevity and even challenge the notion of immortality as socially a good thing. Technology is part of the future but unfortunately potentially growing inequity is also another greater potential of our future. As for immortality imagine some of these threads actually debating forever! about digital v analogue... lord grant us salvation!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes, it's exciting when we read stuff like this from BI Intelligence:

"Last but not least is perhaps the most ambitious mission of all: regeneration. An estimated 185,000 amputations happen each year in the US. And while prosthetics are growing increasingly advanced, they can’t replace the real thing. Which is why scientists have recently taken an interest in a special type of salamander, called the axolotl. Which can regrow just about anything including limbs, lungs, and even its eyes. And scientists are finally starting to unlock the axolotl’s secret by identifying the genes that are responsible for its regeneration superpowers."

For me it's important to be healthier than my sound system. :b

And immortality on Earth is the legacy and will you leave after death.
It shapes the future. I could write few encyclopedias about it but I won't. :b

R.I.P. John ...That is also the name of Dad.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing